screening interview

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by teacherfan, Jun 9, 2006.

1. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jun 9, 2006

I have a screening interview with a district next week. I guess it is sort of a pre-interview to decide if you are good enough to go on to the next step. I am nervous because I don't know what to expect, this will be my first interview of any kind for an education job. Any tips? Thanks!

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2006

I just completed a screening interview for the catholic schools. It was just like a regular interview. The interviewer then made some notes and told me to start applying to those schools that interest me. That's the process for the catholic schools. Check out the interview practice thread. It helped me alot.

4. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jun 9, 2006

I had a screening interview once where it was a panel of principals and a superintendent. After that interview, each principal chose which candidates they wanted to interview with a team from his own school for a more specific job. It had similar questions to a regular interview.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2006

Congratulations!!

--Dress professionally-- right down to your toes!

--Have a ready smile, and greet everyone with a firm handshake. When you leave, shake hands with each person as well, and thank them by name if possible!

--Prepare! Hit the interview thread. Take a look at the district website and have some questions that apply to that district in particular.

Good luck!

6. Ms.S60074

Ms.S60074 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006

Screening interviews almost never ask you personal questions about your background. They're usually all about your philosophy of teaching, behavior management, and how you deal with parents and adminstration. Make sure you have quick and succint answers to questions like...why do u want to be a teacher, what are your greatest strenghths/weaknesses, what are the most important parts of your lesson plan, how much do you need to know about your students, how do you motivate a kid who doesn't want to do anything in your class...etc. good luck!

7. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 10, 2006

I just went on a screening interview yesterday. Just ilke S60074 said, they asked me those type of questions. Some I recall were: What is your discipline plan? How do you differentiate instruction for Gifted, ELL, and RSP students? How will you implement the standards into your teaching? How will you communicate with parents? What do you consider to be a balanced literacy program? Those are just a few.

I also made sure to ask about two specific reading programs this district has. That shows them you are interested in working for them. If you can, check out their web site and resarch what types of texts they use, what special programs they have, etc.

Good luck. :)

Nasimi77

8. wanateac

wanateac Rookie

Jun 10, 2006

Has anybody found any teaching jobs in NJ?

9. newteachaus

newteachaus Rookie

Jun 10, 2006

Never, ever, leave an interview without asking questions. As the other poster said, it demonstrates your interest and in many cases, it demonstrates initiative- especially if you ask questions specific to a district, school or whatever environment you are being interviewed to work in. To ask specific questions about a school or district- you would need to have working knowledge or do your homework- that can really impress an interviewer.

When I did my round robin here ( basically the same thing as screening)- I was told my questions were one of the things that separated me from other folks interviewing and helped me score high.

Good luck! You'll do great!

10. Calif Student

Calif Student Rookie

Jun 11, 2006

Facts about Subbing

Hi Nasimi77,

Good luck with your interview! Hope you land a permanent job soon, or at least another sub job in a "better district".

I've read your responses and see that you have been a sub at LAUSD before. I'm just wondering if you could share some insights with me.

Currently, I am applying to a single subject credentialing program at a local university (for Fall). However, I would like to work (as a sub first) when I go to school full-time. So I spoke with the advisor at the university and they suggested me to try applying for sub position at LAUSD, claiming that they pay very well ($200+ per day). Is that true though?

Another thing is that I've heard some "horror stories" about subbing for LAUSD from my classmates and others who have subbed there. I'm beginning to feel hesitant about applying there. I know the money sure sounds good (if that's even true), but if I have to put up with a lot of craps, then maybe I should reconsider..........

I know from my classmates that other local districts pay their subs probably only around $100-$120 a day, but it is a much easier job, especially for newbies.

What do you think?

11. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 11, 2006

Not yet! If you do, let me know your secrets!!!;)

12. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 11, 2006

Hello Calif Student. Since you will be getting your single subject credential, this means you'll be subbing with Middle School and High School. I subbed High School for 1 year, and believe it or not I actually liked it. I also tried Middle School, and it was not for me. However, don't be afraid to try MS, many really like it...it really all depends on you as person, and finding out what grades you really want to work with.

Yes, some of the students were very tough, but I came on strong and confident at the starting gate and they knew I meant business. I subbed at a high school about 5 years ago, just starting out like you, and I worked there a lot. The students came to know me and recognize me and thought of me as a regular staff member. I would suggest that for you, make good at one or two schools, and you will work there quite a lot! It is great for your career and also to ease the strain of day-to-day subbing.

As you know may or may not know, LAUSD is so huge that it is divided into eight different districts that are run by local superintendent's. As a rule for subbing, I will caution you about District's 7 & 8. These are the tougher areas of the district, and for a new sub it would be even more difficult. I feel that the students in this district need wonderful subs and teachers, and I'm not in any way trying to say awful things about them...they are kids too and need an education like all children. I am just going on personal experiences, and even from what I have heard from other subs, as well as full-time teachers, that those are typically known as the very rough parts of LAUSD. Subbing is a very tough job, but it can be rewarding and positive part in your career as you explore where you want to teach. If you are confident and strong, I think that really you can make a difference no matter where you are. So much of life is in our attitude and approach. I just thought I would give you the FYI on those local districts, but ultimately that is a decision you must make.

Now, as far as pay....the $200 a day rate is only true for LONG TERM positions, which is any class you sub in for 21 consecutive days. The day-to-day rate is at around $160 per day. I have been subbing with the district for about 5 years so my pay is a bit higher because you get increases for length of service. Also, the longer you sub with them the higher up you go on the seniority list, meaning you get more calls to work. Even though I admit to being burnt out on subbing, I am grateful I have the job right now. I see the pay other district's offer and it doesn't seem worth the hassle. I do however sub also for Whittier, but that is very in frequently.

The bottom line is: Don't let other people's horror stories scare you away. I would ask them, "So, have you subbed for the district?" "What grade, what area?" All those things make a big difference. And again, it is all about your presentation. High schoolers can smell fear like a shark smells blood. If you look them in the eyes with confidence, and show your enthusiasm for what you teach, trust me...you will go far.

What subject are you going to teach? I have my credential in multiple-subjects, and I just recently applied for a job teaching art to K-5 students in several different schools. I actually was originally an Art Credential candidate, but decided to put it aside and pursue Multiple Subjects. In a way, I wish I had stayed my original course, and I'm considering going back to it. But for now, subbing at least pays the bills. ;)

I hope this information helps a bit. If you have any other questions or concerns, you can always PM me.

Best of luck to you Calif Student! :)

Nasimi77

13. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jun 11, 2006

Dear Calif. Student:

I would strongly recommend that you try the smaller districts first. You can gain expereince and then sub for LAUSD. You will be better prepared. Make sure you buy some subbing book at the Teacher Supply store. They do have some for grades 6-12 and they should help you with lesson plans. Also you might want to try subbing in private schools. I have worked for two agencies that specialize in that and I had some great assignments. One agency is Teachers on Reserve. You can apply on line at their website www.teachersonreserve.com. The other agency is Kelly Educational Staffing. They will actually spend some time training you how to be a substitute teacher. If you go on the Kelly Services Website you should find their Long Beach office. That is where you go to apply. You might also consider working as a teacher's aide. you can get benenfits and work in some great classroom. LAUSD has a classified personnel section on their website that lists positions. Other school are recrititing for TAs as well. You might have to take a test but most districts will give you preparation booklets to use. Good Luck. Terry G.

14. Calif Student

Calif Student Rookie

Jun 11, 2006

Hi Nasimi77 and Terry,

Thanks for your advice! :)

Yeah, maybe I should try subbing at some smaller districts first. Gain the experience, and move on to the bigger "jungle", namely, LAUSD.

I do know that it is a huge district is broken down into 8 local districts. I checked their website and realized that the only local one that would be close to where I live is district 5 (East Los Angeles area), or maybe I could consider district 6, too. Do I get to choose which local district I want to sub? or they will give me random assignment?

I am going for single subject in foundational math. So most likely I will be teaching at middle schools or high schools. I'm done with CBEST and CSET. Glad that they are out of the way now.

Anyway, I will look around and explore my options during the summer. Let's see where it takes me.

Nasimi77, personally, from what I heard, you probably would have a better chance landing a job with a single subject credential in Arts rather than the multiple subject credential.

Terry, are you also a multiple subject credential holder? It seems like there are a lot of people competing for positions in elementary schools. Good luck to you, too!!

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 12, 2006

Calif Student, a willing and able substitute in single subject math is likely to be a pretty hot commodity.

16. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jun 12, 2006

Dear Calif Student:

I have a Single Subject English and a Special Education Credential. I have spent the last 4 years teaching emotionally disturbed students in non-public schools. Your math skills would be welcome in any district. I am interviewing for jobs in Special education. Try subbing for the private agencies. you might get along term assignment that could work out in a job offer. I got one of my jobs by subbing for Teachers onReserve. The school bought out my contract from Teachers on Reserve. I am sure a lot of private schools would love to have you. If you get fully credentialed in Math you will be able to find a job anyplace. Private school middle school is not that daunting. You have to be strict with them. High school is a little easier. these private sub agencies will also send you to charter schools as well. Good luck. Terry G.

17. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 12, 2006

CalifStudent: Hello. Yes, you get to choose a local district closest to you. I sub in mainly District 6, which is fine. District 5 is also a nice district. Teacher Groupie is right, the fact that you are a math major willing to sub is definitley to your advantage.
    For the job that I applied for, my multiple subjects will suffice, and my ba in art education acts as a sumplement. However if I want to teach high school then yes I am looking at taking the ART CSET. First, I need to seriously beef up my professional portfolio before I go down that road.
    Anyhow, best of luck to you.
    Nasimi77

18. wanateac

wanateac Rookie

Jun 13, 2006

Hello

:p Thanks how long have you been looking for a teaching job in New Jersey? Why is it so hard? I never see any job openings in the Asbury Park Press or anything about a regular school teacher It's soooo hard

19. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 14, 2006

Well, this is my second go-around in the teaching job search. I tried when I graduated in 1991 - for several years, including two years of subbing. At that point I decided that I needed some $$ (my dad had died and I wanted to contribute to the household) and some benefits. So for 10 years I have been working at an apparel manufacturing company. I started looking again in April (half heartedly) and then really set to work sending out resumes in May. I believe that I have emailed, faxed and mailed about 75 resumes so far. I am now trying to send at least 5 a week.
    In NJ you need to check the classifieds, NJHire and NJSchooljobs.com

Keep me posted on any successes you have & I'll definitely do the same for you.:)

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2006

Hi, I'm not from NJ, but the situation on LI isn't that different, so I hope you don't mind my 2 cents.

If things are really tight, don't rely only on the paper. Apply everywhere, whether or not you've seen the job postings. Both of the interviews I have for this week are because I sent a cover letter and resume to schools for which I haven't seen any ads. (One apparently has an ad somewhere; the other I'm not sure about yet!) But don't wait for them to tell you about an opening, go search them out. Hit every website for every district you might ever consider, and get them a resume ASAP!!!

21. katkat

katkat New Member

Jun 15, 2006

I am going on a second interview today. I have taught second grade for 2 years in another district. This interview is for first grade. I'm sure that they will ask me questions about how I will transition. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!!

22. wanateac

wanateac Rookie

Jun 16, 2006

wow, kidatheart, you must be stressed out! I feel bad about your situation both personally and professionally. It makes me depressed. I am trying out alternate route, but I'm taking things slow. Recently, the Board of Ed in the Brick district asked me for copies of my CE's while I'm subbing. God forbid they say if there is an opening or not. Also, hearing crazy things about how the alternate route program is being wiped out completely because they want experienced teachers with a masters degree in education. Abbott districts aren;t even hiring us. I'm looking into other fields because I have no patience with these schools. Also, subbing has left me feeling sorry for myself because I know that I'm being used only for a day or two. Even a permanent sub is being used and isn't considered to be a teacher. I will still continue to also e-mail, fax, and mail resumes everywhere, but I'm hopeless.

23. wanateac

wanateac Rookie

Jun 16, 2006

Thank you for you concern and advice, it is greatly appreciated. I'm not surprised about LI either. I dont' know why the teaching situation is so bad, the field is so good that there are never any open positions. Even if they come up, these positions are already promised to someone else probably related to the principal or Board of Ed or something. It seems to be this way everywhere, I'm hopeless but I'll keep faxing, mailing, and sending out my resume, you take care ,a nd keep me filled in!~

24. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 16, 2006

Thanks - I'll be ok! I am being laid off as of 8/1, so I can devote lots of time to job hunting. I also think that a trainer position is going to be offered to me at my current company. It will be to train other employees in SAP software package that we are switching to. That will give me a job for almost another year if I take it. Do you think that having "Trainer" on my resume will help me get a teaching job???
    I am also going for alternate route in special education in an effort to become more marketable - sent in my application to TCNJ to get into their program and waiting to hear back. I have heard sped, science and math are the key HOT areas. Try taking your praxis in math/science and see if getting that endorsement helps.

25. Calif Student

Calif Student Rookie

Jun 18, 2006

Hi TeacherGroupie,

Well, I am a "willing" sub for sure. "able"? I hope so. :) I'm not so concerned about teaching the content (math), I'm more worried about the classroom management part. From my understanding, that is where all the horror stories arise.

Hi Nasimi77,

By the way, I checked LAUSD's website again, this time, I did see their sub's salary table. You're right. Long term subs do make $220/day and regular day-to-day get $160/day. That is indeed a pretty decent pay comparing to other smaller districts. However, the funny thing is that when I looked at their salary table for non-credentialed teachers (I am trying to compare between being a long-term sub and a regular classroom teacher), I realized that pay-wise, you actually get more by being a long-term sub? Isn't that strange? But, of course, a sub may not get health benefit and sick pay.

Anyway, any luck with your job searching? :) Are you going down to the Orange county now? I heard it's a much nicer environment there, as opposed to the all-too-familiar inner city school scene.

Hi Terry G,

Hey, sounds like teaching in private schools is a better choice for newbies huh? :) I'm thinking, I probably don't have to deal with the behavioral issues that much as in the public schools. Is that true? But public school teaching is what I will do eventually, so perhaps I should just get my feet wet by subbing at one of those public schools first. But then again, I don't want to scare myself by subbing at one of those "notorious" districts, I decided to try some places like Montebello, El Monte, Monrovia, and West Covina. Is it true that a sub should apply to several districts at once because she may not get enough of calls from just one single district?

26. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jun 18, 2006

Hi, CalifStudent: It would help if you subbed at 2 or 3 districts when you start out. You might want to try TeachersOn
    Reserve too. It would be helpful to try private schools first but you can go to public schools if you desire to. Get some books on Subbing from your locat teacher store. Substitute Survial Guide by Jossey-Bass is a good one. If you would like to sub in private schools try www.teachersonreserve.com or Kelly Educational Staffing(they have an office in Long Beach) Kelly Educational Staffing will train you online to be a substitute teacher. Try the Kelly Services Website or contact your local Kelly Services branch for their address. You might want to work at a school district and at the private schools as well. It is allowed. Anyway good luck.

As for me I am still looking. I am applying at a Catholic School for English and a public school district for Special Education. I am also going to apply at Kelly Educational Staffing next week. I managed to get put on the sub list for my favorite school district and I am even applying for TA jobs.

Anyway when dealing with the students show your confidence and act professional. Follow the teachers lesson plans. Most public schools have a sub folder you can refer to with concers. Arrive early and get acquainted with the teachers next door to your classrooms. Make sure you leave the room neat and leave a note for the teacher about what you covered. Only document major behavior problems not minor ones. some of these tips hould help you with subbing. The sub books should also give you lesson plans you can use. Have a great time subbing. Terry G.

27. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 18, 2006

Long term sub jobs are very hard to come by, and right now most principals' prefer to hire fully credentialed teachers for those positions. I actually have health insurance with LAUSD, and I am a day to day sub. I qualifed last year because I worked A LOT. The best thing to do is call the district and ask to talk to the Substitute Unit and ask more information about health insurance, etc.

N77

28. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 18, 2006

Cali: Oh, regarding the "OC"...well, the job situation isn't so great right now in Orange County. Truth is I am used to Los Angeles, and it isn't as bad as everyone wants to think. Remember, LAUSD is huge, and South Central is only one part of the district. It also encompasses areas near Pasadena, Burbank, GLendale, and the valley, as well as Eastern Los Angeles, which honestly are not that bad at all. The kids I have worked with in those areas are terrific. Google LAUSD, and once there on the top is a red bar, click on "Discover LAUSD" and check out the maps section to see how large the district is. I have a friend who teaches in Orange County and has as many if not more problems with her students...it's a tough area. (Santa Ana). If you can get into the Southern Orange County districts, those are nice...but the jobs are not so plentiful at this time. Let's face it, this is a "funky" year for trying to get a teaching job.
    My search is still on, and admittedley I'm discouraged, but never giving up. I interviewed at a private school and the principal liked me, but the pay is WAY lower than I would be happy with. I also interviewed with Corona-Norco and for an itinerant position with LAUSD last week, haven't heard anything yet. I have a feeling I will either have to sub for several more months, or will get a position one day before school starts. (eek!) That would be crazy, but I'd still be grateful for the employment.
    Good luck Cali.
    N77

29. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 20, 2006

Thanks for the tip!

I was wondering about that. Thanks for the tip. I will get moving on that right away!

30. smileydog1

smileydog1 New Member

Jul 25, 2006

First and Second Special Ed Screening Interview Questions

I had a screening interview in Corona CA and here are some questions I had:

A general ed teacher approaches you, a special ed teacher, and says he has a student that should be in your class. The student is a behavioral problem and is failing in his class. He wants you to take the student, what do you do? Tell the general ed teacher that the student needs to be referred to the SST (Student Study Team) flowchart process to determine if a special need exists.

Also, what do you do if a student refuses to do any work in class?
    Do not confront the student and start a showdown you will lose no matter what. Get the class' attention off him and on the assignment and pull the student aside to find out what is wrong. If problem cant be solved, tell him it is not fair for him to not work like his classmates and give him a choice- stay and work or go the office. If possible have an aide take him to get a drink of water and take a minute to think about it and make his decision. Do not take away his dignity or force him into a corner. Give him options and let the decision be his to make.

A parent says that you are not following their child's IEP. What do you do?

How would you prepare for the first day of school?

How would you prepare for an annual IEP?

How would you implement a collabative instruction model in your school?