Screening Interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by literarynerd, Aug 2, 2017.

1. literarynerd

literarynerd Rookie

Aug 2, 2017

Hello everyone!

After being a Long Term Sub for special ed for the entire school year, I am in the process of applying to jobs to finally find a "home." I've applied to a good amount of jobs and on Friday I'm going to my third interview. I felt as if the first two interviews were good practice interviews, but this third one is in a district that would be ideal so I really need to hit the ball out of the park.

I applied on Monday and on Tuesday I got an email that let me sign up for a screening interview time. I think I was the first one to sign up because I saw a whole bunch of times throughout the day on Friday in 10 minute increments.

My plan is to prepare for and treat it like a regular interview. I've learned a lot from my previous two interviews about what materials from my portfolio I could add to better answer questions. Those interviews have really allowed me to reflect and perfect my interviewing skills.

The page online said that I didn't need to bring any materials with me but I'm assuming that means resume, cover letter etc. because those can be printed from the online application. I'm wondering what questions to even prepare for...maybe the "tell us about yourself" and possibly something on teaching style.

Ten minutes seems like nothing. I've heard of others having 20-30 minute screening interviews. Has anyone experienced a screening interview this short or have any ideas for how I could make it past this first round?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2017

Ten minutes will go fast! You most likely will not have time to refer to your portfolio. You'll want to convey quickly your enthusiasm, experience and education that make you a good fit for the position in question. Good luck!

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 2, 2017

Be sure you are specific and leave them with a picture in their mind about what your classroom would look like. Avoid talking in general terms, or else you'll risk sounding like everyone else.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 2, 2017

Take what you consider the strongest pieces in your portfolio (which you will not take to this interview), and find authentic but brief ways to incorporate why each piece is in that portfolio. Don't refer to the missing portfolio, but capture the flavor of what you hope that portfolio would say about you. This is a time for action words, varied vocabulary, and lots of enthusiasm that you have backed up with your articulate descriptions and answers. Ten minutes will pass in a heart beat.

6. johnab

johnab Rookie

Aug 2, 2017

In screeners they're going to gauge your strengths and weaknesses on a general level. They'll also going to get an idea whether you fit their culture on a general level as well. Give your best representation and be confident with what you believe. If they share your philosophy or subscribe to parts of it, they will be interested to see you again.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 3, 2017

I have also wondered about being first to sign up for a slot, but I have come to believe they do it in batches and I was just first because I answered the email immediately. How long did it take you to click on the link in the email?

8. literarynerd

literarynerd Rookie

Aug 4, 2017

I signed up within 5 minutes because I was so excited! I've only ever gotten calls for interviews so signing up online days beforehand was very convenient.

I thought it went well today. They immediately told me that Thursday would be the second/final interview and that I should look out for an email to sign up for it.

I talked about my teaching experience. There's always so much to talk about with this question. I've been considering just leaving out my bulleted list from each experience but I'm worried that might take away from the flow of conversation. I left behind a picture of myself presenting at my University's "Education, Nursing, and Health Professions" Day for a project based on our effect on student learning as well as an abstract with a data graph.

It was weird seeing so many of the other applicants. It was very "in, out" "in out," "in out" so I was glad to leave a picture of myself presenting. I almost didn't bring it. Some people came with small purses and obviously didn't bring anything. This weekend I'm going to continue interview prep and be "cautiously optimistic."

AlwaysAttend and Rainbowbird like this.
  9. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 4, 2017

That sounds encouraging! Good luck! I have a screening interview next Wed. at a really amazing district. I hope we both have good news to report!

10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 4, 2017

It does sound encouraging. I still remember being told once to review a district plan that was like 40 pages only to not make it to 2nd rd of that admin interview. You'd think if the superintendent made sure to tell me to review it twice before the next rd id be golden lol.

11. literarynerd

literarynerd Rookie

Aug 4, 2017

I just got a call for an interview for a different school scheduled for Monday morning. It's not as preferred as the one I had this morning but definitely an interest. This is going to be a busy weekend and Monday's looking like a big day, hopefully for two reasons. It would be nice if this was my last week of interviewing so I could prepare for the new year and enjoy that last bit of summer.

Rainbowbird likes this.
  12. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 4, 2017

Good luck!

13. literarynerd

literarynerd Rookie

Aug 6, 2017

I'm nearly ready for my interview tomorrow. One thing I've been looking over is the reports I'd done in my previous district for PPT meetings. Obviously, I need to cover confidential information so I'll cover up student name. Is that the only information I should cover up? Also, should I cover it up for the report itself too or use a fake name.

14. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 6, 2017

I would black out the student's name and any other identifying information (address, parent names) any time it appears throughout the report.

15. literarynerd

literarynerd Rookie

Aug 7, 2017

I got the email today and I didn't pass the screening interview. I DID, however, hear back this afternoon from the interview I had this MORNING. The principal called to say that they were very impressed by my skills and what I can bring to the table. I made it to the second round!

Does anyone have tips for the second round? I have no idea what to expect. They phrased it as a "meet" but I'm going to treat everything like an interview until I sign a contract. I'll add extra copies into my portfolio and look more into the school (although I'd already done this a ton for this first one).

I should be getting another call tomorrow because they're trying to change it from the original day (Friday) because they want to move along faster since the year is about to start.

Rainbowbird, Bunnie and AlwaysAttend like this.
  16. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 8, 2017

Congratulations! That is wonderful news! my experience, the second interview has been with the superintendent, and they were indeed "conversations" as opposed to a formal interview--of course it IS an interview, just a different format. I think different districts take different approaches--did they say who you would be meeting with?

17. literarynerd

literarynerd Rookie

Aug 8, 2017

The end of my interview yesterday had already turned into a conversation. It's for a special education teaching position at a high school (magnet school). It's taking place in their central office (which is actually about 50 minutes away from the school) and I'll be meeting with the student support services team.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  18. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 8, 2017

Good luck, but definitely prepare as if you are going to get grilled.

Rainbowbird likes this.
  19. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 8, 2017

If it's with a group, it will be less formal than 1-1. So as AlwaysAttend said, prepare and be ready just in case.

20. literarynerd

literarynerd Rookie

Aug 14, 2017

I had my second interview Friday morning and I felt pretty good about. It lasted about an hour and we got into a lot of situational discussions. Everyone seemed responsive and positive about my answers and reports. Throughout Friday I was really hoping to hear back before the weekend. It certainly would have made my weekend more relaxing. They said I would hear back soon. Could I still hear back today? It's so hard not to get attached when you've had two hours of interviewing. I'm so anxious.

21. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 14, 2017

Yes, you could definitely still hear back today... or tomorrow, or the next day. They may have a formal process HR requires them to go through in order to make an offer. Or, if you're their second choice, they may be waiting for their first choice to respond before they contact you either way. Try to relax and give it time!

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  22. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 14, 2017

It really can happen at any point.

23. literarynerd

literarynerd Rookie

Aug 14, 2017

I think I'm just extra anxious because of course, I told my family and they keep asking if I've heard yet. I'm trying to get myself busy with other things.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  24. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 14, 2017

My grad school professor said never tell anyone about interviews because it always leads to awkward conversations.

25. literarynerd

literarynerd Rookie

Aug 16, 2017

Turns out I was anxious for no reason. Yesterday morning the principal called me and said she called my references (which is what I was hoping they were doing) and said they spoke highly of me. She said I would be moving forward to meet with the executive director and HR where I would formally review and sign my contract! HR called me an hour later and I'm meeting with them Friday morning.

Bunnie likes this.
  26. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 16, 2017

Awesome! Congrats!

27. literarynerd

literarynerd Rookie

Aug 16, 2017

Does anyone have advice on what to wear to this meeting with the executive director and HR? Should I go with the similar look as the previous interviews (black pants and a nice blouse) or could I wear a nice dress?

28. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 16, 2017

I think anything that is polished and professional is fine. A dress or dress pants and blouse.

29. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 16, 2017

As long as it's professional.

30. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 16, 2017

A dress should be fine.