Screening interview - What to expect?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mcqxu, May 19, 2013.

1. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

May 19, 2013

Hello all,

Has anyone been on a screening interview? I have one this week with the HR director of a school district in my area. It's the first interview, and I'm assuming they are interviewing many candidates.

Brief background, I actually had a total of 4 interviews with this particular district last year - 3 were for the same position, a regular interview, a demo lesson and meeting the super, the fourth was for a different position, but I didn't end up getting either positions. They now have some different administrators, but I'm glad they are still considering me.

Anyways, any advice on what to expect and how to prepare would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 19, 2013

For the job I have now, I had a phone screening interview for the district and, later, an interview with a school-site administrator.

The screening interview was basically a series of generic questions. I could tell that the interviewer was reading questions from a list. The interviewer asked me a bunch of scenario/what-if questions and questions about big concepts/buzzwords in education: diverse student populations, FRL, BAM, components of an effective lesson, etc.

I was friendly and relaxed (at least that was how I intended to come across). If I was unsure about something, I said so or asked questions rather than guessing or stumbling around an answer. I specifically remember that the interviewer asked me about how I would use TPR in the classroom. I honestly hadn't even heard of TPR at that point (this was my first teaching job), so I said so, followed by a comment that I would most definitely be willing to learn more about it so that I could effectively apply it in my classroom.

4. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

May 19, 2013

Thank you for the info Caesar! Good to know it will likely be more general questions. They said it would be around 25 minutes.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 19, 2013

They usually just ask 5-10 basic questions, and take 15-30 minutes. They do it to weed people out before the more time intensive interviews take place.

6. Wrathgara

Wrathgara Rookie

May 20, 2013

I went to the director if hr for my screening interview which helped move my resume to the 600 applicant pile to the 100 applicant pile. He asked me district related questions, debriefed and gave me tips to succeed for school interviews. The biggest thing is to not be nervous, connect with the panel and emphasize how you connect with kids.

7. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

May 22, 2013

Thanks so much for the tips and info everyone!

I recorded the questions I got asked during the screening interview, and some of my answers:

-Tell me about yourself, experiences & background

-What do you think makes an excellent teacher?

-How do you communicate with parents?

-Describe your classroom management plan.
    I don't feel like I answered this one to the best of my ability. Upon reflection I realized that I actually described more of my discipline/behavior plan instead of my classroom management plan, like talking about what I do when students misbehave...

-How important is it that students like you?
    I never get this question - I actually answered "not very important, it is more important that they respect me than that they like me" now I'm wondering if this was the best answer I could give, because when I think about it, most of my students do seem to like me and that seems to work in my favor most of the time, but I think the point was that I don't want to worry more about whether they like me to the point that it might make me a less rigorous teacher....

-How do you know what you want students to learn?

-Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

I think that was pretty much it. Said I'd receive a follow up email telling whether I made it to the next round Friday or Monday....REALLY hoping it's soon! I did add that I was a finalist for a position after several interviews I had with this district last year, so hopefully that counted for something! If I make it to the next round I'll probably have to go through a similar process again.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 22, 2013

Fingers crossed that you get a good call soon!

9. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

May 26, 2013

Thanks so much giraffe! Haven't heard yet - was hoping to get some news before holiday weekend, but hopefully soon!