Screening Interview on Tuesday!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by houseofbooks, Jun 18, 2012.

1. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Jun 18, 2012

Here's a quick update on my job search: I received a very personal and kind letter from a Principal who interviewed me last week, and unfortunately did not get the position. However, when one door closes, another door opens! I've been invited for a 15 minute screening interview next Tuesday with a wonderful school district located in a growing South Jersey community. I'm very excited but a little nervous, too.

What are your suggestions for screening interviews (in particular)? I know that time is very very very limited, and I want to blow them away! :p

And thanks again for all the wonderful/positive messages in my last thread. I feel a lot better about the job hunt and will keep pushing until I find a position.

Best wishes to everyone still looking for a teaching job. :wub:

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2012

Congrats and good luck!

Come in with a small portfolio. Have copies of your usual things, but also bring along a few extras...The extras usually include something on classroom management, technology, RtI, PBIS, maybe something specific to the school. Then you can show these if there is a question asked about them.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2012

At my screening interview, I was emailed the day before and they specifically said not to bring anything. Not even resumes, because they will already have a copy. I did bring my portfolio, but I wasn't given a chance to use it.

In my experience, you should expect a lot of knowledge questions. 'What do you know about RtI and what interventions have you used?' or 'How do you decide what to teach?' They really don't get into strengths/weaknesses.

5. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 18, 2012

Is a "screening interview" S.O.P. when it comes to hiring (in positions where there were 500+ applicants)? I'm curious because I haven't been through the process...

If you make it to the screening interview, have they gone to any steps beyond your application? When do they typically consult your references?

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2012

Nope. Some places just prefer it that way. Personally, I have had to write essay responses as a screening process for several districts as well. I'm searching in an area where applicants are in the thousands, and very few do screening interviews. It is more political (nepotism is a major factor).
    Probably not. Your references could be contacted before or after the formal interview. There is no set procedure. I would find it very odd if they contacted references before a screening interview. My screening interview from this year interviewed 150+ applicants. There were 3 positions. So, they obviously did not do reference checks on 150 people!

7. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Jun 19, 2012

Thank you for all the suggestions. Everyone's advice has been very valuable. I'm glad I have a solid week to prepare. :)