Screening for Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Sheila, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Apr 4, 2011

Do you screen your incoming Kinders? If so, what do you use? It is very possible we will have to do this next year. Our team has never done this. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks in advance.

3. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Apr 4, 2011

Hey! Are you referring to academic screening for supplemental support like Title I or Tier II RtI?

4. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Apr 4, 2011

An initial screening to sort the children into classes. We always just sort by birthdays, race and boy/girl ratios and requests. So, some years your group was high or low or in between. If there are known behaviors and/or academic issues they are dealt with on an individual basis.

5. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Apr 6, 2011

I've used the Dial-3 and one other one.. can't remember the name. They were pretty much the same. They were lengthy (about 30 minutes per child) but held their attention with all the hands-on materials and activities.

We did them before the school year started, and I didn't feel it was an accurate measure because the kids didn't know us and vice versa. I'd recommend having kids in school for a few weeks before you do it. If you have enough teachers to just pull kids during the school day to a quiet area to do the test, I think that would be ideal. But if not, you can cancel school for a few days and schedule parents to bring their kids in.

In the Dial, you screen language, concepts, and motor. So we had 3 stations with 3 different teachers. The kids rotated through them and we got it all done pretty efficiently and quickly.

Will you be using these just to get a picture of kid's ability levels, or to decide whether they can enter your program?

6. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Apr 7, 2011

We screen by doing the following:
    Kids come in as a group. After a brief talk about expectations for the time together, I read a story to them. There are four adults besides myself. They all observe the kids during this time and take note of their attention, behavior, etc.

After that, the kids rotate through three "stations"-- one for fine and gross motor, one for math, and one for reading/writing. The others play with toys. Two adults are there, one to observe and one does nothing but take kids to the bathroom when they need, and take kids out to parents when they are done!

The stations are to check readiness. They only take a few minutes each. They do things like sort and count teddy bear counters, read a wordless book, color a picture, catch a ball. We learn a lot about their readiness from this. As each station is completed we put a sticker on their name tag (both as a "reward" and to check that all the stations are complete).

7. newkteacherfl

newkteacherfl Companion

Apr 7, 2011

We screen as many kids as we can get in before school starts. We use the data to make classes and begin to form small groups for the beginning of the year. Each student makes an appointment to sit with a teacher and complete the screening.

We do the following short assessments:
    Reading:
    Letters/Sounds
    phonemic awareness
    concepts of print
    writing/fine motor (draw a picture of yourself, write your name)

Math:
    Counting
    Counting Objects
    Number ID
    Plane Shape ID
    Color ID

While the children are drawing their picture and writing their name, the teacher has the opportunity to talk to the parent a little bit. We also observe their attention and behaviors while testing. We usually have pretty good turnout. This year we had 47 out of 54 kids show up for their appointments. I like screening the kids before school starts because it gives me more time at the beginning of the year to form our classroom community instead of trying to fit in testing. We don't have any help so it all has to done by the teacher. It also gives me a rough baseline. We have state testing about 3 weeks into the year, so I like being able to compare the results and the kids don't feel like they have been tested since the first day of school.

8. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Apr 7, 2011

I forgot to mention that we also do it in the Spring before they begin. In fact, we've already done it this year, but we do begin early-- by the second week of August.