Scratching my Head- Have Teachers Given Up?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Jackstreet, Feb 20, 2012.

?

Do you feel disrespected by other educators?

1. Never

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. Rarely

24 vote(s)
    47.1%
  3. Occasionally

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Frequently

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackstreet

Jackstreet Companion

Feb 20, 2012

I'm quite confused and looking for insight. Discovered the following from working with educators at all levels.

I hear it all the time: teachers feel disrespected by principals; principals feel disrespected by superintendents;superintendents feel dissed by local school boards; school boards feel discounted by the feds; early childhood educators feel dismissed by the rest of the education community; and parents feel marginalized by all levels of professional educators. This led us to ask, why do so many educators feel disrespected by *other* educators? What can be done about it?

Out of this came an idea to foster "cross-discipline" recognition of the critical role played by every person in the education field. In other words, to acknowledge that it takes a village to raise a child, that teachers can't do it alone and don't do it alone. We set out to invite educators from every sector to be part of a program to honor educators -from principals to parents. ( Think Oscars, Emmies, but for Educators)

We were overwhelmed by the response. Leading educators from every sector of the field accepted the invitation including principals, superintendents, state departments of education, school boards, policy wonks, early childhood, advocates, deans and professors of education schools, day care providers, education columnists, afterschool programs, school nurses, even school janitors and maintenance staff. See the full list here:

http://www.bammyawards.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55&Itemid=75

The only group that demonstrated unwillingness to participate were actual classroom teachers. I was astounded. Why would teachers not be interested in honoring educators? Why would teachers not be interested in having a voice and a seat at the table with other educators?

Every other group including parents groups are thrilled to be involved? What am I missing? Have teachers just given up any form of collaborative effort?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2012

I am a busy professional. I'm not in any hurry to start up with some group that I know nothing about when I have other things to do.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's the truth, at least for me. Perhaps I'm the only one who feels this way.

4. Jackstreet

Jackstreet Companion

Feb 20, 2012

Actually that positions sounds quite reasonable. What doesn't make sense is that every other group of busy, professional educators looked at the initiative and on the basis of the other people involved and the merits of the efforts said yes... I'm not talking , "let me think about it and get back you in three weeks, " I'm talking, "this is so needed count me in!" Why are does is appear that teachers are more reluctant than others?

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 20, 2012

I have only a very few hours of free time during weeks, and many of my weekends are taken up with school as well. I like to spend that time with my family, my pets, my house work, and my community service activities. I like to take a break from the world of education occasionally. I have been asked to participate in so many things like this to honor my coworkers and students, and they all end up eventually being for profit. I didn't really look at it, as there are so many independent groups basically doing the same thing. I quite simply didn't have the time to do the research. However, I do spend my free time writing nice notes to put in my coworkers' mailboxes at work, or helping babysit for them when they have a family emergency, or cooking dinner for them when they are really busy with grading and I have a lighter load right then. It has nothing to do with me not wanting to honor other educators. It has everything to do with choosing to find a way to honor educators I know by making an immediate difference. It has nothing to do with disrespect and everything to do with just simply not having enough time. When I'm done with the spring musical and planning a school trip to New York, and no longer spending 12+ hours a day at work then coming home to plan and grade, maybe I'll get back with you.

6. Jackstreet

Jackstreet Companion

Feb 20, 2012

I hear you and what you are saying is as reasonable as Caesar's comments. What I can't reconcile is that all the other groups who are presumably as busy, have families, do other community work... could feel so differently about the need to be involved. Something still isn't adding up here.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2012

All those other groups have jobs where they have some down time during the day. My day is regimented, and literally every minute except my duty free lunch (and often even that isn't really duty free) is spent teaching, monitoring, supervising, and assessing students. I don't get an office job or long, off-campus working lunches. My day at school is 100% full of students and student concerns. When I'm done with school, I like to do other, non-school things.

MissCeliaB brings up an interesting and valid point about those honorific things being for profit when the dust settles. It's true, and I've noticed it as well. To me, that element removes any trace of legitimacy and makes me not want to waste my time.

8. Jackstreet

Jackstreet Companion

Feb 20, 2012

I certainly understand being too busy. However, I have a hard time reconciling the notion that there is no time for anything else no matter how constructive it may be and that when work is over the desire is to only do non-school things. I enjoy the discussions on this board and have learned much here, but like you I'm crazy busy. So despite the fact that I've been a member here for a few years, I have less than 175 posts. I see teachers here with over a thousands posts, some with over 2000 posts. I've have often wondered how one finds the time to do that and what the payoff is for investing that much time. Turning to your other point, the notion that something is illegitimate because it's for-profit is a curious position. Look to the right and above on this site we're on. I see banner ads all over A-Z Teachers Stuff. Clearly this site is being commercially funded as I've never been asked for a membership fee. Does that mean A-z Teachers Stuff is illegitimate? We may be approaching candor, but I don't think we've arrived.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2012

I'm not totally sure I buy the premise.

Admittedly, I teach in a private school. But I don't feel disrespected by anyone. In fact, Thursday night we were treated to a lovely dinner (sliced steak, mashed potatoes, veggies, salad, rolls, and delicious desserts) before staying for Parent-Teacher-Student conferences. We're well treated, and well appreciated.

I think my problem with the whole "let's recognize great teachers" thing is the most basic question: How do you determine who is a great teacher?? Is it the one with the great publicist? The one whose students are saavy enough to nominate him or her? The one with the high test scores? The one who quietly makes a real difference to the kids he or she sees every day?

To be honest, my money is with the last group, but they're least likely to be recognized by any sort of recognition committee.

That said, I would be interested in learning more.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2012

Jack...The truth is, this forum is populated by professional educators from varying backgrounds, life experiences and commitments. I wouldn't presume to answer for all the teachers who haven't gotten involved with your endeavor, but I can offer that some teachers may find it a bit 'risky' to get involved in some thing they've never heard of. Also many teachers are are very busy people ..some with second jobs to help make ends meet. We tutor, volunteer, raise families, take care of parents, have many commitments outside of teaching...while still finding ways to reach each student, assess, maintain parent communications, serve on committees...it's a juggling act ..but one many of us still have a passion for despite political pressure, budget constraints and a host of other negative influences. Truthfully, many many many teachers deserve an award, but that's not why we do what we do.
    Thank you though for recognizing the hard work that professional educators do. Every day.

11. Jackstreet

Jackstreet Companion

Feb 20, 2012

Well here's what's interesting about this...I didn't make this premise up. It came from countless discussions. In fact, some right here at Ato Z. Discussions in which it was expressed that suggestions offered by teachers were routinely dismissed by their principals or superintendents. Discussions where it was expressed that the policies out of Washington don't reflect the insight and opinions of those who teach every day on the front lines. I didn't make this stuff up, I simply heard it and echoed it. What's interesting though, is that this notion resonated with other groups instantly. Which brings me back to the question, why does it not resonate with the group that is most often cited as not getting the respect deserved. This is truly puzzling to me.

To your very valid point about deciding who should be recognized , I completely agree. That's why participation from teachers in the trenches is soooooo important. More importantly, the teacher who is quitely making a difference, but whose practices are largely unknown and unrecognized is a disservice to all who are trying to figure out how to solve our massive education problems. I appreciate the humility of this sort of teacher, but in the big scheme of things, there is no virtue in practicing teaching excellence in obscurity.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 20, 2012

If you want to recognize me, spend your time making a difference in my working conditions instead of asking me to spend my time reading about what other teachers are doing. I would rather use that time doing the great things that I'm doing. If you want to recognize me, spend some money in my classroom or district, not on running a website that exists to recognize teachers. In the mean time, I'll be at drama practice, or driving a student to the doctor because she has no other way to get there and thinks she might be pregnant and has no parents, or calling to check on my student whose dad just lost his job to make sure he ate this weekend, or planning lessons that are engaging. I will use my (very limited) leisure time to do things I find relaxing, like collaborating with other teachers online without having to vote on which one should get an award. I'm not in this for the awards. The hugs and thank yous from my kids are more than enough. I'm really having a hard time seeing what your award is trying to accomplish, and still don't see where I would have the time to be able to fully commit to it.

13. Jackstreet

Jackstreet Companion

Feb 20, 2012

The risky part makes some sense...but then how do you explain that all sorts of other educators from respected deans of education schools, a former Assistant Secretary of education, veteran education journalists, and the executive directors of virtually every leading education association in the nation have chosen to get involved? They knew no more than the teachers that have been invited. There is clearly something missing in this discussion that we haven't addressed yet.

14. Jackstreet

Jackstreet Companion

Feb 20, 2012

There is a disconnect here... All of the activities you mention above are wonderful examples of doing good where you are and that's great. However, as you shift to talking about spending money in your classroom or district and then say don't waste my time trying to acknowledge excellence with awards, this suggests a disconnect from how the world works. Is the Nobel Prize a waste of time? How about Pulitzer? Calling attention to excellence is precisely how funding and support is garnered in this world. I don't write the script, I am just reading it. As mentioned earlier, there is far too much at stake as we struggle to solve our student achievement issues to accept that practicing teaching excellence in obscurity is a virtue. Finally on the issue of having time... in the time we've spent here today, you could have nominated and excellent teacher and helped to put a spotlight on her/his good work. With all of the inordinate scrutiny on teachers today, how could showcasing excellent teachers not be a good thing?

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 20, 2012

To be honest, the reason I barely considered this program is that when I got my "personal" message inviting me to join, it had another member's name attached as well. It made me realize that you were not, in fact, interested in my "spirit" in particular, but simply in finding an educator with the time to participate. I looked at the website, and it seemed like one of those "do it yourself" websites that you get for free when you order from Vistprint, not like it belonged to a professional organization. Also, your posts have more spelling and typographical errors than I would expect from someone running a professional educational organization. I know that people make mistakes, and I expect a few errors in some posts, but I also expect a professional to know the difference in "knew" and "new." If you want to be seen as something worthy of my time, you need to show me that you put time and pride in what you present to the public. You asked for candor, and you got it.

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 20, 2012

I guess I feel recognized enough where I work. Our PTA honors teachers every year with awards in several categories, and there are several community organizations that do the same. Maybe if I lived somewhere else where conditions were worse, I would feel differently. I am sitting at the computer so much today because of several reasons. I do not have work today, I am expecting an e-mail from my travel agent at any minute which will require immediate response, and I am watching clips from movies to check for obscenities as I prepare a lecture. I am not usually able to post quite so much.

17. Jackstreet

Jackstreet Companion

Feb 20, 2012

Yes... deeply appreciate your candor, allow me to reciprocate. If I had posted a message inviting anyone at A to Z to join this initiative your criticism would be valid. In fact, a total of three people were invited. They were invited on the basis of the ideas expressed in the history of exchanges on this site. If you ask around you'll confirm that you won't be able to find more than three people who were contacted.

Next, with all due respect, the web site is an enterprise level web site that is impressive to virtually everyone who has seen it. Moreover, it was impressive enough to have engaged some of the most prominent educators in the country.

Finally to your point about my errors... I know very prominent and accomplished educators who refuse to blog of post to forums for fear that in the give and take of real-time discussion they may not look professional. I happen to think this is very sad. You can be sure that I know the difference between "knew" and "new." Truth is I'm more interested in big ideas and contributing to worthy endeavors than I am with the window dressing of error free communication. If one looks at the totality of my messages and concludes that I am an illiterate fool then ignore me. Conversely, If one can give some latitude for the context of real-time communication and zero in on the quality of my thinking, then perhaps a more accurate assessment can be made of both the person and the ideas before us.

18. Jackstreet

Jackstreet Companion

Feb 20, 2012

Again, with all due respect, this is not about you. This is about collaborating to do something that can impact the entire education community in a positive way. Indeed, every association has an awards program. We see teachers recognizing teachers, principals recognizing principals..... It's all preaching to the choir. The concept here is "cross-discipline" recognition. It's teachers being recognized by school boards and parents being recognized by superintendents, and school nurses being recognized by principals. It's the recognition of the entire education village that makes this effort worthy.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2012

Let me ask again: What would serving on the Council of Peers entail? It really does sound interesting, and the presence of people like Diane Ravitch certainly give it credibility.

And, for the record, I'm not teaching in obscurity. I'm doing plenty of freelance education writing :) In fact, yesteday I started working on a book.

From my own personal point of view, this is less about "teachers giving up" than about trying to keep all the balls in the air.

20. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 20, 2012

I agree with what you're saying. Certainly errors are to be expected, and I wouldn't have noticed them at all were I not trying to decide if the business you represent is legitimate. I would never assume that someone's ideas weren't valid because of a few errors. I'm sure you can see how I would think that I was being lumped into a mass message when there was another name in addition to mine in the message you sent. We will just have to disagree about the website. Different people have different tastes, and your website did not appeal to mine. There's nothing wrong with that, I was just trying to be honest. I was a marketing major for awhile in college, and have some PR experience, and image really is everything. While we're on that, the name "Bammy" seems a little silly to me. Having never heard of BAM! radio before this, I didn't understand the reason for the name. Listening to podcasts on BAM! may be something I'm interested in doing as I like to listen to those while I work out, and I'm sure I could learn something from them. They would be directly beneficial to my classroom.

I understand that recognizing teachers is important, but I definitely understand why teachers are too busy to feel that they can have time to fully participate in the process. I don't like to commit to things without being able to devote my time to them completely, and I know I simply cannot do that right now.

21. Jackstreet

Jackstreet Companion

Feb 20, 2012

The purpose of the Council of Peers (COP) is to uncover educators who are doing wonderful things below the radar. They are there to ensure that the honors in each of the 31 categories don't end up going to the normal suspects. So the COP's first role is to nominate educators who are doing great work in obscurity. The second role of the COP to help create the short list of 5 nominees per category to present to the Board of Governors for the final vote. That's it. In less time than we've spent chatting today, together we could have identified some of your peers who are doing amazing things!

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2012

Yeah, I've posted here obviously many times, but I don't recall ever expressing concerns about being disrespected by other educators. Parents and students, yes...but not other educators. Sure, there have been a few instances of a bad mood or what have you, but this just isn't an issue for me.

For those who do find it an issue, their choice to not participate may have to do with priorities. Kind of like parents who put their children first, we are often more concerned about what we can do for our students opposed to how we can honor each other.

23. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 20, 2012

Stating the obvious, none of the teachers here know you from .... Jack. Pardon the pun. It seems clear, though, that you did not get the response you were looking for because what you were offering was not what the teachers were looking for. There is no need to disparage them, or to conclude that they have 'given up'. The opposite seems to be true; committed teachers are far too invested in their true work to care about an accolade from an unknown source.

24. Jackstreet

Jackstreet Companion

Feb 20, 2012

Ah! Feels like a break through. Love when discussion leads to deeper levels of mutual understanding. Yes, I can certainly see how you would use errors in my communication as proxy for legitimacy. Further, I understand how my email may have looked like a mass email and how that may have impacted your appraisal. I apologize for that mistake.

As for the web site and the name, I'll just smile and agree with your suggestion that there are different strokes for different folks. Suffice it to say that the site and the name have made a compelling case across the entire education community. So if results are the ultimate arbiter, the site is doing its job well.

On the BAM Radio piece, you will find interviews with some of the most thoughtful educators in the country discussing the issues you really care about. Confident there is something there you can use.
    Thanks for taking the time to engage with me in a candid and meaningful way!

25. Jackstreet

Jackstreet Companion

Feb 20, 2012

Love the pun... cute. If indeed teachers are not interested in being appreciated, acknowledged and recognized for the great work being done that would make teachers different from every other group on the planet. That said if this is truly the answer so be it, but I must admit this does not have the ring of truth.

I care for my daughter because I love her. I don't expect anything in return for what I do as a father. However, I can assure you that, like most dads, nothing makes my day like when my daughter expresses her appreciation, or when my wife says you are a good father, or when my neighbors say you've done a good job with her.

As for not knowing me form Jack, 90% of the educators who we invited didn't know "jack" about us. It was the power of the idea, the people already involved and the web site presentation that secured their involvement.

As for the "giving up" statement, I come from a family educators. I'm privy to the daily travails. I've watched my family members go through periods of deep frustration and discouragement. I've seen them at times acquiesce to what they felt were bad policies simply because they were too overwhelmed to push back. My comment was a question not a statement. It was posed with insight into the possibilities, but left open for a valid conclusion to surface.

As for an accolade from an unknown source. The awards are presented by the Academy of Education Arts and Sceinces. The Academy is comprised of a diverse cadre of prominent leaders from virtually every primary sector of the education community: parents, teachers, principals, superintendents, state departments of education, school boards, PTA, policy wonks, early childhood, advocates, deans and professors of education schools, education columnists, afterschool programs, researchers, school nurses, school facilities manager, philanthropists, visionaries, and pioneers.

The aggregate achievements and contributions of the Academy's members makes recognition by this group a substantive and unparalleled honor to be highly valued, coveted and respected across the education community and beyond.

26. Jackstreet

Jackstreet Companion

Feb 20, 2012

For those who do find it an issue, their choice to not participate may have to do with priorities. Kind of like parents who put their children first, we are often more concerned about what we can do for our students opposed to how we can honor each other.[/QUOTE]

I'm almost tempted to go back and do a search for all of those discussions about the NCLB, Race to the Top and various and sundry polices that have been "handed down." Almost invariably those discussions turned to posts about teachers on the front line not being consulted or if consulted ignored. I'm not making this stuff up (smile)!

Priorities and putting our children first I get. Caring about our own sphere of influence first I get. That said, if we lose sight of civic action, we begin to lose our sense of what it means to be civilized nation.

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2012

My frustrations with NCLB and Race to the Top and what have you don't leave me feeling disrespected by "educators"...

28. Jackstreet

Jackstreet Companion

Feb 20, 2012

Here are three data points for your consideration:

The first two are interviews with educators on this issue. You'll hear their concerns in their own words.

The third data point is the poll above. Certainly too small to be a statistically significant sample, but suggestive of something?

Take a look:

http://www.bamradionetwork.com/inde...t54&catid=36:administrators-channel&Itemid=90
    http://www.bamradionetwork.com/inde...hy-self-image&catid=35:jackstreet54&Itemid=89

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2012

I am of course just speaking for myself. Neither of the situations, thankfully, apply to me. :)

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2012

According to the site:
    "Council of Peers

The Council of Peers if the primary nominating body of the Academy of Education Arts and Sciences. It is made up of highly respected, influential and accomplished educators, advocates, and thought leaders from across the education field. They are responsible for nominating and voting for the people, programs and organizations which will receive Bammy Awards. They also serve as presenters at the awards event."

I've asked twice, via PM, what participation would entail. For example, before I vote for anyone on anything, I want to know what I'm voting for. What would that entail? Would I be taking time away from my family and students to observe those nominated teachers as they teach? Would I be watching videos? Reading letters of recommendation?

Where are the awards held? If they're in NYC, it's a whole lot more reasonable for me than, say, LA. When are they? Would it mean missing my nephew's wedding? Or having to ask permission to miss graduation? Is there the possibility that it would conflict with my son's Confirmation? Or with our much awaited trip to Disney World?

These are the types of things I meant when I asked what participation would entail. I'm still curious.

I'm not doubting your sincerity, your education, or the legitimacy of your organization. What I'm questioning is my ability to keep yet another ball in the air. You've defended your organization, but have yet to answer any of the nuts and bolts questions about the position.

You've asked theee people out of several hundred members here. At least two of us have kids. I don't think it's unrealistic for us to have questions, and to hesitate to reply unless and until you give answers. As of this point, you haven't.

31. Jackstreet

Jackstreet Companion

Feb 20, 2012

Got it!

Will reply shortly with the details you requested.

32. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Feb 20, 2012

I agree about the having children part. My children are at an age where they very much need me as part of their daily lives. Nothing comes before my kids. I use my "no work" time for them. Yes, I come to this site because it is something I do for me. It is a chance for me to get advice/help from others who understand and to be there for others who may need help. to me coming here is no different than when I read a book to relax. My time means my decision as to how to spend it.
    Furthermore, I am sure there are many teachers here that are busy dealing with their parents growing old. I know how time consuming that can be as well.
    Finally, you only asked 3 people. If you asked 50 and all said no then I could understand your concerns. Relax and try going at this from another angle. Don't make people defensive when you want their help.

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2012

Posted at 7:49 pm
    With all due respect:

It's been 25 minutes. I don't think my questions were that hard: you are offering us a job, I asked what, where and when. You've been online here that whole time.

The first time I asked for specifics was on February 15th. You have yet to respond to that PM request for concrete information, or to the one I sent today.

All I can get from the website is "Fall 2012." I think you can see that, as a busy mom and wife and teacher, that's kind of vague.

Do you really not have immediate access to this information?

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2012

Ah, well.

Good night.

35. Jackstreet

Jackstreet Companion

Feb 20, 2012

Pardon my delay. Like everyone else I'm multitasking and juggling. My other duties called. (smile)

Okay... to your questions:

All voting is done online.
    your vote is based on the information provided by the person who made the nomination, the reviews /recommendations publicly posted by others and the link provided where you can find out more about the nominee. How deeply you decide to go in your evaluation before voting is your choice. In any case, it's all done online.

The awards will be held in Washingon D.C. We have settled on a date between September 8th and November 18th. Variables are the schedules of some special guests we've invited and election year availability of venues.

As a member of the Council you may be called upon to present an award at the event. This is optional. If the timing works for you, fine. If it does not, that's okay as well.
    This entire initiative was conceived with the realization that everyone is busy. All of the people on the academy are busy professionals, so we had to make the process simple and the demands flexible and minimal. They are.

36. Jayneorama

Jayneorama Rookie

Feb 20, 2012

You seem very invested in participation. Do you, personally, profit from the participation of teachers? I think that's a fair question, given you are asking for help.

Another thought: Allow this to stand on its own merits. Teachers present author's purpose to students all of the time, and are familiar with techniques designed to persuade. I haven't clicked on your link, and that is largely because of your bandwagon approach.

37. Jackstreet

Jackstreet Companion

Feb 20, 2012

Let me be clear. Education is may passion and my books and access to knowledge are my most prized possessions. I am fortunate to be able to make a living while doing my passion. Do I financially benefit from my work in education? Yes. Am I any different than a teacher who works hard to engage students in their passion and accepts a paycheck? No.

Another point of clarification: I believe in the promise of this program. There is a transformative secret that lives just below the surface of the Bammy Award web site. When you discover it you will likely be as amazed as we were when we discovered it. As you know, the education community is very divided and adversarial. This initiative has the ability temper this dynamic. Best case, is has the power to change the entire education community in profound and unimaginable ways. Indeed, it may very well be the simple, overlooked, key to this elusive challenge we call education reform and most of the challenges the education community faces. If this claim sounds over-stated or dubious test it. Nominate 10 people you feel are doing exceptional work in education- then get back to me and tell me what happened.

Finally, it's been said that you can measure the power of an idea by the number of people it touches. Social media is revolutionizing the world, toppling dictatorships and spreading freedom like no other organization of people have. The Arab Spring was indeed country after country getting on the freedom bandwagon.

You and I are free today because some who came before us jumped on a bandwagon. Nuff said!

38. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Feb 21, 2012

You started this with what seemed like indignation because teachers were unwilling to participate in this "huge" honoring plan of yours. Then it turns out you only invited three teachers to join. Wow, that is quite a generalization you made based on the three teachers you invited. There are around 350,000 public school teachers in my state alone. Just based on your generalization I would not be very inclined to participate whether I was one of the three or not. How many of each other group did you invite, two or three based on web site participation? The whole thing about how transformational it is reminds me of the Moonies and the folks who used to wear red and pink...

39. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2012

I've been following this thread with curiosity and skepticism (along the lines that if it sounds too good to be true...)
    Now I feel like I am reading a TV infomercial...quick...buy this item and your life will be transformed forever.

40. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2012

I had a long post all typed, with reasons to decline. One of which was the fact that this seems to be about popularity, with people being allowed to vote multiple times. Another was the fact that apparently the nominees are never observed actually teaching. Still another is the fact that my initial request for more information was ignored, while you started a thread equating it with teachers giving up.

But you know what? I'll go for it.

Count me in for the time being. Give me more information as to what I need to do and the timeline involved, and I'll be happy to help.

If it looks like too large a time committment, I'll let you know. And it you choose to characterize that as a failing on my part or on the part of education, there's not much I can do about that.

But keep in mind: my entire career has been spent in Catholic schools. My only experience in public schools was student teaching in a NYC public high school in spring 1980.

41. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Feb 21, 2012

I never heard of this

I had never heard of these Bammy awards until I read this post. When did this start? How would one get nominated? Although I haven't read through all the posts as of yet, I have to agree with what many people are saying. Being recognized as great by an outside source can be very rewarding and uplifting. But in the long run, does it make my job, or any of our jobs easier. By virtue of receiving a Bammy award, are recipients then going to receive what they haven't been receiving--respect, voice, more pay, etc. There is a teacher in our building who recently received National Board Certification. We as a school have congratulated her, and we as a department have given her a small token of our esteem--but, her daily world is no different.

I work 70-80 hours a week, and while I appreciate the idea, and the thought, I do not have the energy to put into an awards night or whatever the case may be.

If I were to receive this award, can I now announce myself as Ms. _______ Bammy award winner (much like they do with Oscars), and will this automatically garner me what I'm missing. I think not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.