Scrambled Squares (Looking for a puzzle)

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by novalyne, May 29, 2006.

1. novalyne

novalyne Rookie

May 29, 2006

I am trying to find resources for a logic-type puzzle for my 5th graders. The problem is...I'm not sure what they're called! The puzzle is made up of nine squares that form into a 3x3 grid. There are usually four images and each edge on each square has half an image that needs to be matched up to its other half. The tricky part of the puzzle is to line up all the squares so that all edges match to form the correct images. It's hard but my kids absolutely love it!

I found some online called "Scrambled Squares" but they're expensive ($8+ for each one) because they're heavy cardboard and meant to be reused. I have a couple of reproducible versions that the kids color themselves and then cut out and assemble...but I got them from another teacher and we have no idea what they're called.

Suggestions? I sure would love to have more of these!

3. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 30, 2006

Who cares what they're called? I have one with funny witches. I'm sure you can find them cheaper, or make your own. But how is it a logic puzzle? If it could be solved with logic, then it's totally beyond me :D probably your kids guess at it just like I did!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 30, 2006

They are called magic squares and I think they come from China originally. There is some logic in it because of the total you must aim for in each direction. I've done them with negative numbers, too, for middle schoolers. The standard magic square adds to 15 in all directions but you can really make up the total, the number of squares, and the amount of given numbers you start with. Make up a grid on Word using the table feature. That would be the easiest way.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 30, 2006

Daisy, I think that's a different puzzle.

novalyne, I think I know the one you're talking about, but can't remember what it'scalled, and I haven't seen them anywhere... you might check a Games store to get a name... then you could probably Google it and find some to download or print off.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 30, 2006

Oh, duh, images. I used to play that online.

7. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

8. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 30, 2006

Yes, Carmen's picture is what I was thinking of. But they are way overpriced! Shouldn't be more than $2-4. Maybe check out your local "random junk" store (I'm going to Amazing Savings today! Such fun!)
    "Magic Squares" is totally different- numbers game. Still looking for logic in the scramled squares!

9. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 30, 2006

Heehee- just noticed something! You can't even get the answer online, the pictures on the page Carmen sent us to has them all done wrong! :p

10. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

May 30, 2006

Hey Bored of Ed, you wanted to cheat?! I'm shocked! haha

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 30, 2006

you could probably take the pictures from Carmen's link, print them, mount them on cardstock, and laminate...

if you wanted to maek your own. ;)

12. novalyne

novalyne Rookie

May 30, 2006

Yes, the one that Carmen found is what I'm looking for. I would imagine they have them in reproducible format somewhere...hopefully I'll get lucky and find a book that's got 'em. Thanks for the replies!

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 31, 2006

If you find this book please let me know. I would like to use these in my class as well. I have seen the puzzles that are about $7 but can't bring myself to pay that much for a little puzzle!

14. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 31, 2006

Can't anyone tell me what educactional value they have? I still think of these as a simple toy.

15. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

May 31, 2006

Well, it may be a start for Combinatory (sp?:confused: ) and, hence, Probability.

Bored of Ed, do you remember the magic cube or it is too old for you?

16. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

May 31, 2006

I went to a workshop and they said that these puzzles test your visual spatial intelligence. I'm not good at them so I guess that isn't my best intelligence in the multiple intelligence theory:) I paid $7.99 for the one I have, but I only bought it because it has labradors on it:D

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 31, 2006

Something for the kids to do during down time that requires them to think! They just see it as a game. It's better than them drawing all sorts of pictures or passing notes. I'm a big fan of brain games they can take to their desks.

18. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

May 31, 2006

It's also easy to keep track of the pieces since there are only 9. My kids manage to lose everything else they touch!

19. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

May 31, 2006

Boys tend to be better than girls at visual spacial intelligence. These games are definitely good brain teasers.
    Hey, I googled Brain teasers and found this cool link!
    http://www.brainconnection.com/teasers/