Scott Foresman

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by kinderkate, Aug 29, 2008.

1. kinderkate

kinderkate Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

Is anyone else doing the Scott Foresman Reading Street series? How is it working out? I have NO time to do anything else! And I don't feel like I'm teaching anything!

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Aug 30, 2008

I reviewed all the new reading series that were up for adoption in our state. They are all very similar in materials and method. We use Treasures and it is massive. I teach all day K and can't get it all in. I pick the parts that are most beneficial to my class as the focus and do the extra as I have time. We are also using Wilson Fundations which is taking 30 mins of my Reading/Language time.

4. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 30, 2008

We use Scott Foresman. We are starting it this week! We don't do ALL of it and it still takes up our entire morning! 8:30-11:00! I'm definitely not doing centers until much later in the year. I was on maternity leave last year but the other teacher said it was a great program...she didn't need to supplement anything and the children all left kinder reading. She said some of the stories/songs were boring (in her opinion) but the program worked!

5. spunkyteacher

spunkyteacher Rookie

Sep 2, 2008

I just moved to K this year so it is my first year using this program. So far I think I like it. There is way too much in there to do for one day. We do centers for the beginning of reading (8:30 -9:30) where I meet with groups of 5 and work on different skills like grammar or high frequency words, or we sometimes do the decodable readers. Then for whole group (9:30 - 10:30) I try to fit in the letters, which in the beginning they are just getting familiar with what the letter looks like, the Sing with Me, Talk with Me chart, and the story. I also hit on the literature skill, for example this week in character. Then after lunch we do the practice workbook page. It is a very busy morning but my kids can already read "I am the little..." and we just started our 4th week.

6. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Sep 3, 2008

Mary wore her red dress, red dress, red dress. Mary wore her red dress all day long.

Yup! We use Scott Foresman too. We've been using it for about four years now, and I absolutely love it. I would never even fathom trying to get it all in, but I love to just pick and choose what works for me. It really is engaging for the kiddos (even for a class of 25), and I never have complaints from them being bored. It is very rare for me to have any child not reading at the end of the school year using this series.

7. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Sep 3, 2008

We are starting to use it this year. No training, not all the teaching materials are in, not enough text books, workbooks and yet we are suppose to just jump right in! Oh and on top of trying to learn this new stuff without support, we also have another book study on classroom management. Do I have a life outside of work? Not anymore.:(