Scott Foresman Teading Street Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by halpey1, Jun 8, 2008.

1. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jun 8, 2008

Scott Foresman Reading Street Thoughts?

Hello,

My entire grade level (2nd) is implementing Reading Street next year... we've gotten some training and some of our materials and I'm cautiously optimistic... I'm wondering if anyone out there has used the program for a year or more if they have any insights or tips that might be helpful to me. Thank you! :D

3. Holpea

Holpea Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

Our school system switched to Reading Street at the beginning of the year. Overall, teachers are happy with it! Here are some important things that we discovered this year -
    1. The leveled readers are great for background information - but we found that Below Level readers to be too difficult for our below level kids (same with the spelling lists)
    2. There is WAY too many components of the program to fit into one week. (We split our ELA block each day - 45 mins. of guided reading, 45 mins. of Reading Street). For next year, we are going with a 7 day cycle, instead of the suggested 5 in the book.
    3. The writing component is great, and has so many pieces to it - Take advantage of all the transparencies! Although, we actually had to skip a story to fit in a full week of the writing component.
    4. The Unit tests took us 4 days to complete! Those were a huge undertaking...

Thats all thats sticking out right now. If you come up with any questions as you're looking through the material, let me know. Good luck!!

4. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 12, 2008

We too have reading street! This was our first year. I was off this year (maternity leave turned into infant bonding leave) but all the teachers I've talked to have been thrilled with it! I teach kinder and we were concerned when our county didn't want us to supplement at ALL! Our school had already purchased saxon phonics which we had used every year...however, they never once used Saxon. Reading Street was EVERYTHING! They supplemented NOTHING! We had all our kinders meet benchmark and were reading when they left!:) Again, from what I hear, this is a fabulous program!

5. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 13, 2008

Our school is adopting that next year - it looked great when we were looking through materials. I hope it really is as good as it seems.