Scott Foresman Reading Street

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by amersk, Jun 23, 2009.

1. amersk

amersk Rookie

Jun 23, 2009

Does anyone use the Scott Foresman Reading Street series? How does it look in your classroom on a daily and weekly basis? How closely do you follow each activity?
    I just got my teachers edition and feel a little overwhelmed!:dizzy:

3. alberta

alberta New Member

Jul 3, 2009

I am a member of a group from TN that has Scott Foresman. There are many things that hopefully you can use. Go to the yahoo groups and search firstgradeteachersintn. The group is free to join. I hope this helps you.

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2009

Our school began using Reading Street last year and it is overwhelming. There are just so many components and to try to do one selection as week seems ridiculous to many of us at my school. It's just too much. I think it's better to slow it down and go more in depth with each skill and strategy. I plan to pick and choose selections to teach comprehension strategies next year. I will supplement with read alouds and my classroom library. I plan to do a Reader's Workshop this coming year. I want my kids to read better, not just to read more.
    I know some teachers at other schools love the program but we're not that crazy about it at all. I wish we could just teach with novels but our principal insists we use it.

5. teach12

teach12 Companion

Jul 14, 2009

I agree with you.... TOO MUCH!!! Some of the ideas in the book are really good, but there is just no way to even attempt to do them all. I just had to pick and choose what I thought was going to be the most benefical. I think I am also going to slow things down this year and go more in depth as well. I did, however, like the stories in the series. There are a lot more non-fiction stories than I have seen in a lot of other reading series.

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2009

How about the spelling and grammar workbook pages? Do you just use the ones that go with the story you're doing? I hate to skip all that wonderful grammar instruction. Is there a way to use the grammar pages without using the accompanying selections?
    I think the spelling has it uses too but the weekly spelling tests with these incredibly long lists is ridiculous! Few of them retain the spelling. It's memorization at its worst!
    I will NOT be doing weekly spelling tests.
    I would also like to know a way to utilize the spelling pages without doing the selection. I think the activities are worthwhile.

7. teach12

teach12 Companion

Jul 14, 2009

I hardly ever used the grammar workbook, and actually never even got those books until about 2-3 months into school, so by then I didn't really even take the time to look through them in too much depth. I would occasionally use the spelling for a quick filler or homework, but I didn't use spelling lists from the series so it was kind of hard to use those. I have never been much of a workbook page type of teacher so I can never really get too into the workbooks too much. Another thing I don't really like....the phonics portion of the reading series....I feel like it is paced so slow. I think it took forever for them to cover basic long and short vowel sounds! Did you see the same?

8. amersk

amersk Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

Zoe, If you dont get your spelling list from the reading series, what words do you use?