Scott Foresman Investigations??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by katydid205, Mar 9, 2007.

1. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Mar 9, 2007

I currently use Everyday Math. i am interviewing in a district that uses investigations. Can anyone give me any information on this program? Thank you!!!

3. prettyinpink

prettyinpink Rookie

Mar 10, 2007

are the investigations connected math? what is the name of the program that tehy are using

4. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Mar 10, 2007

It's actually called Investigations.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 10, 2007

It's the same concept as Everyday Math, but easier to learn and follow with out training.

6. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Mar 10, 2007

Oh great Jaime Marie. Also thanks for my "what to bring to an interview?" post!!

7. maroki

maroki Comrade

Mar 10, 2007

I teach 1st grade and we use Investigations in my district. At my grade level there are a lot of math games. Investigations focuses a lot on student experience and exploration, so there are a lot of activities that give students multiple opportunites to try and re-try.

At each grade level, there are several units (each unit has its own book) that are taught over the course of the year. For first grade, I believe there are 6 books. Each unit (book) covers a different subject; we have 2 number sense books, a measurement book, a geometry gook, and a couple others I can't remember right now.

The program is pretty scripted but fairly easy to follow....I didn't receive any Investigations training until February (my first year teaching) and it didn't take me too long to pick it up the first couple months of school.

8. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Mar 10, 2007

I have used both Investigations and Everyday Math. I like them both. Investigations tends to get a lot of flak from parents who want a more traditional approach. Investigations is very hands on, learn the concepts behind addition, subtraction, etc. but not very much emphasis on learning the 'facts'. I think it really depends on the student as to whether this approach works. With either program, you really have to supplement to hit all of your state standards. Investigations is very much like the 'explorations' part of Everyday Math.

9. cingy

cingy Rookie

Mar 10, 2007

My own children use Everyday Math and I have used investigations in my classroom for eight years. I prefer Investigations because it is much more research based and involved in providing students with opportunities to construct their own understanding through lessons and games. I must let you know that Investigations has just come out with a new versions which addresses many of the issues and holes that were perceived in the first edition. I have just received an advance copy and the new Investigations looks valuable, although too much like Everyday Math...however, the conceptual basis is still intact.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 10, 2007

I personaly hate everyday math. But it's probably because I was trying to learn it on my own for 7 grade levels. All the books were mixed up and I gave up and created my own math program for k, first and second.

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2007

Here is the website

investigations.scottforesman.com/

12. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Mar 11, 2007

We have investigations. I use it to introduce or reinforce concepts. I also go "off the book" and teach more traditional mathematics as well. I think there should be a combination of the two styles to reach different learning styles.

13. keltlana

keltlana Rookie

Mar 11, 2007

I currently teach Investigations, and I used to teach Everyday Math. I have to admit that I really miss everyday math A LOT! As far as interviewing, a couple of possible important things to note might be that with Investigations, children spend a lot of time coming up with thier own strategies for math are then are asked to do a lot of explaining about their thinking. I think this is great, but I do think there are a lot of areas that Investigations drops the ball. I feel that I am constantly needing to supplement more so than I did with Everyday Math. Good luck with your interview!