Scott Foresman Investigations for Math

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 14, 2009

Does anyone else use this series? We are this coming year, and I am excited. Hands-on is the way I learn math.

Mathwire.com relates to the series in a way because everything on that website is hands-on. Do you use any other resources besides the book?

3. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 14, 2009

We will be starting it this year as well. I am training in a few weeks...I'll let you know what I think then.

4. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Jul 14, 2009

We use it-like everything it has its high points and lows. I like that it offers a variety of strategies but I don't like the pacing of it. It does the spiral concept and it seems more like a tornado where if you didn't get it you just get sucked into the vortex.

As far as hands on, it's actually a lot less than I expected. There are some manips that we never use (that came with the kit even!). They are big on games for the hands on activities.

I love that they have a state expansion pack that has activities and assessments specifically set to individual state standards.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 14, 2009

I very much like the assessment CD the program provides; I agree. :)

6. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Jul 14, 2009

I wish is was more hands on. The workbook that comes with it is huge. I pick and choose which paper items I'm going to give but it is still a lot.

7. FLeducator

FLeducator Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

My school uses Saxon. I do not like it at all! We are stuck with it again for next year, but hopefully it will be the last.

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 17, 2009

Our students will not be receiving the workbooks- but I am actually grateful because then I can make my own items to supplement and challenge, too. We're allowed to show the one workbook we do have on the Elmo, though. Most of the time, my students will be writing in their math journals.

9. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

My school still has a Harcourt book, but I am currently this week being trained on Investigations because apparently, I am supposed to start it this year and then next year when the new math books are adopted, we'll have Investigations.

I'm LOVING how it teaches concepts, but I'm a little overwhelmed by how this year I am going to make Investigations "fit" with a Harcourt book. I guess I'll just have to run a WHOLE LOT of copies for the kids! But I do love what I have seen of Investigations!

10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

At my old school we used Invistagations. I did not like it all. I taught kindergarten and it was not meant for kinder. At that age they need more concrete ideas and writing of math. I did like some of the games that my own children came home with to play when they were older.

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 17, 2009

Same for us. We will also have our old Harcourt textbooks. I'm curious... Where do you teach?

12. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

Glad to hear someone else is doing Investigations with Harcourt books. Maybe we can keep each other posted on how we're fitting it together.

I teach in north Alabama.

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 17, 2009

It may be a little challenging, but apparently out county is going to help us make the correlations between the two.