Scores needed to pass CSET English?

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by jennyscout, Jul 18, 2007.

1. jennyscout

jennyscout Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Hi! I am taking the CSET English this Saturday and am freaking out a bit. :eek: I cannot seem to find a document that says what are the passing scores you need for each section. For the essays, can you get 3s and pass? 2s are not passing right? I read the 4 essay samples on the CSET site and they are a bit daunting. But the 3s seem manageable.

Thank you! This group has been incredibly helpful.

angela diaz likes this.
  3. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

On any CSET you need about a D- or 60% of the total test to pass. That's it. It can be any combo of Multiple Choice questions and essays (or Constructed Response questions).

The test makers are secretive about their Al Gore Rhythm. The scale is 100 to 300 and you need 220 to pass. 120 points out of 200 = 12/20 = 60/100 = 60% Certainly you can do poorly on the essays and still pass. If you can get 3's and do well on the MCs, you will certainly pass.

Hope this helps.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

Um. CSET English is the exception to the rule, jazzminjoy: it's the only CSET in which subtests are either multiple choice or constructed response but not both. But it remains true that a passing score is 220 on a scale from 100 to 300 and that it follows that one needn't score perfectly to pass.

Subtest III features two constructed responses, and it makes sense to regard them as full-on bells-and-whistles essays. One has you analyzing a literary text, the other has you analyzing a non-literary text. Each is scored by two scorers on a scale from 0 to 4, and diagnostic results will cite Purpose, Knowledge, Support, and Depth-and-breadth.

Subtest IV features four constructed responses, one each in drama, speech/oral communication, journalism/media, and creative writing. These are short answer questions, scored on a scale from 0 to 3, and if you're taking all four subtests you should probably allow no more than 12 minutes per question. Don't overwrite, but do use buzzwords.

5. lisacard

lisacard Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Buzz Words...

Are there any "buzz words" you can suggest? I am having a heck of a time finding any reasonable books out there, and have already studied what CSET has to offer on their website for English (all four subtests). I was also informed by my husband that I can't hire a tutor, so what do you suggest? There are only two days left to study, and I'm so scared. Thank you ALL for your support. This site has been an incredible resource!

6. jennyscout

jennyscout Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

thanks for your responses! i'm so glad someone is out there to help newbies through the process.

could you tell me where you are getting this magic 220 number from? is this on the site? the site frustrates me because of the lack of info or maybe i am just not looking in the right place?

so can one score 3s on the essay sections and pass? how long would you spend on the longer essays? and how much would you write? a page and half?

btw, how would you pace out the whole exam if taking all four tests on one day? this is what i'm doing!

thankssomuch!!

7. jennyscout

jennyscout Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

WOOPs, neveh mind on the 220, i found the document that says that info. does anyone happen to know what percentage that is?

thx again.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

The glossaries on "Elmer's English Resources", one of the "sticky threads" at the top of the Single Subject Tests subforum, should help.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

"What percentage that is"... it doesn't exactly work that way, because the algorithm that turns raw scores (the questions you get right) into scaled scores (points on the scale from 100 to 300) takes into account that all test questions are not created equal: it's very, very difficult to write two questions which are exactly equally hard.

Very roughly, though: 220 on a scale from 100 to 300 is likely to be achievable with about 2/3 of available points.