Scored a 219 on the World History (114) subtest. Requesting a verification

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by bbelton60, Jun 3, 2014.

1. bbelton60

bbelton60 Rookie

Jun 3, 2014

Scored a 219 on the World History CSET. Would like to request a verification

You need a 220 to pass. Unfortunately now I cannot student teach in the fall and have to wait until next January (assuming I can pass it between now and then).

Has anyone had any experience requesting a verification? It costs $50 and it'll take 90 days to get back to me.

I'm leaning towards it and using my attorney's letterhead on the request letter. What say you, anonymous message board?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 3, 2014

I can think of just one case in which score verification on a teacher test resulted in a change, and in that case the test taker was able to prove that his constructed responses had been misplaced. (How did he prove it? He had gotten scores of U, indicating that he hadn't submitted a response, on all of the constructed responses - but he knew he'd submitted answers for all and was tolerably certain that his answers were on point.)

Using your attorney's letterhead will probably make no difference whatsoever.

4. Ryan Anderson

Ryan Anderson Rookie

May 8, 2016

Did you end up submitting your rescore verification anyway? Did it pass or did you get any other info back?

5. bbelton60

bbelton60 Rookie

May 11, 2016

Yes I submitted it and it was rejected. I took it again and passed a month or so later...

6. Ryan Anderson

Ryan Anderson Rookie

May 11, 2016

Thank you.

7. Ryan Anderson

Ryan Anderson Rookie

Jul 7, 2016

Thought I would let people know that I submitted mine for re-verfication and PASSED!!! It came back awhile later but yeah they changed my score and passed so according to what I have read in this forum I am the only person who sent in and they changed it.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 7, 2016

That's a really unusual result - but congratulations, Ryan Anderson!

9. hallievan

hallievan Rookie

Feb 28, 2017

What's with the 219 scores? That's horrible. What are the chances of bombing a constructed response question and still passing the test?

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 28, 2017

Constructed response accounts for 30% of available points and multiple choice for the remaining 70%. The passing score of 220 is on a scale from 100 to 300 and so theoretically represents about 2/3 of available points - so it's perfectly possible to "bomb" a constructed response, or even more than one, and still pass, but doing so requires a very strong score in multiple choice.

I have "bomb" in quotation marks for several reasons, notably that constructed responses do allow partial credit.

Tell me what your score report shows, hallievan - pluses, checkmarks, letters per constructed response - and I can make some suggestions for next time.

11. hallievan

hallievan Rookie

Mar 17, 2017

Thanks for the response. I received S's on constructed responses and +++ for WH and ++ for WG. I took the test again and feel a little more confident. My major concern now is subtest 3. Any idea of the main subjects I can study that will help me on the constructed responses on subtest 3? Thanks!

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 18, 2017

The s's mean you're not supporting your answers with reasoning and evidence to the extent that the scorers want to see.

If you need to retake Subtest I, let me recommend getting hold of a good atlas of world history - Oxford University Press used to have a nice one and Dorling Kindersley's Atlas of World History, which the late lamented Borders reprinted for cheap a few years back, is value for money even at full price; other options also exist, but for best results you want something the size and shape of a textbook or a coffeetable book, with lots of maps that do lots of explaining: a decent historical atlas will improve your general grasp of what's in ways that will support your historical reasoning at the same time.

For Subtest III, you're dealing with three domains: civics, economics, and California history, in descending order of emphasis, and you'll have one short-answer constructed response question in each domain. The biggest chunk in terms of multiple choice questions (and thus potential points) is civics: you'll want to be well versed in the US and state constitutions, and if US history is an area of strength for you, please analyze both constitutions as simultaneously reflections of and shapers of history (as in, for example, both the run-up to and the consequences of the US Civil War). Pay attention to checks and balances and separation of powers. Economics is almost as big; capitalism dominates, but know how other kinds of economies work as well. California history accounts for rather fewer multiple-choice questions, and a good grasp of US history can help greatly.

13. hallievan

hallievan Rookie

Mar 18, 2017

Thank you so much!

14. hallievan

hallievan Rookie

Jul 1, 2017

Thanks teacher groupie

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  15. hallievan

hallievan Rookie

Jul 1, 2017

Thanks teacher groupie

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 1, 2017

Hi, hallievan! You're welcome; do I infer correctly from your thanks that you've passed at least one of those pesky subtests?