score

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by BASUDHA MUKHERJ, May 18, 2006.

1. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

May 18, 2006

If I retake one part of CBEST, which was 43 already, next time that 43 would be the bar---isn't it? I mean, if I get less than that, still that 43 will be counted since it is higher-- am I right?
    So basically, a student can try again to get the higher grade keeping the previous passed score in front of him/her as a protection.It is abviously good if he/she gets better, otherwise he/she wouldn't lose anything.

Am I right?

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

May 18, 2006

Yes, you can never lower your score on a section, only raise it.

FWIW there is really no reason to try to better your score on CBEST once you have passed. Nobody cares what your score is, just that you passed. The transcripts the NES provides you to give to CTC, teacher preparation programs and employers don't even have a score on them, just "pass." All CBEST does is set a minimum bar that must be passed to get into teaching. The test is so basic that a high score does not mean you are significantly better than someone who barely passed.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 18, 2006

I'm going to quibble lightly with what Malcolm said.

First, while CSET transcripts definitely don't indicate the score by which one passed, it is less clear to me that CBEST transcripts don't give scores. CBEST has been around for at least 20 years; during most of that time I believe numerical scores WERE reported, and I don't see a good reason to believe that anything has changed. What IS true, of course, is that most of the relevant authorities care much less about HOW one passes than about THAT one passes.

Second, Malcolm is certainly right that, if one has already passed the whole CBEST, there is no need to go back and try to improve one's performance. But if one has not yet passed all of CBEST because one has minimal passes but an aggregate score less than 123, it can make sense to retake a section on which one scored more than 41 and less than 48, by way of working toward the aggregate 123.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

May 18, 2006

CBEST scores are reported to CTC. And they are on the score report sent to the candidate. Don't know what is on any reports sent directly to an institution. But scores appear nowhere on the 3" x 3" transcripts attached to the score report that the candidate is currently given to distribute to those who request it, just the word "pass." So unless the entire score report is requested by a credential program or employer, they will never see the scores. I know in my case no one other than CTC has been given anything more than the 3" x 3" transcript with the work "pass" on it.

There is no reason to not retake a section you already passed other than that the time might be better spent on another section. You pay for all three sections evertime afterall. And there may be reasons to retake a section you have passed. Certainly it makes sense to retake a section if doing so can improve your chances of getting that magical score of 123. If you are a few points away, it might indeed make sense to try to bump up a score other than your lowest as long as you have at least 37s on your lowest sections. So if you are stuggling with reading but good with math, it might make sense to take both even if you have already passed math. But IMHO improving your score pe se does not buy a thing, certainly not if it is just by a few points.

Even if a credential program or employer does get your CBEST scores, they are the least of the things they will concerned about. There are much more significant things like completion of an approved subject matter program or CSET, where you got you undergraduate degree, GPA, experience, interviews, your credential or credential objective, etc.

6. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Jul 21, 2006

Hi,

I passed CBEST and trying to pursue further.
    I submitted my transcrips to CSU(HAYWARD) and waiting for the report. It will be single subjest (Biology--my subject).I thought better to clear that area since I did most of the units in that field. Although I know it would be very specific and hard to get the job, still I proceeded that way.
    I want to do the elementary school teaching also by giving the CSET (multiple subject)--should I take any preparation class for that? Since I have done B.ED from India, can't I waive the credential program here? I got frustrated when I heard that I have to do one long year credential program paying a lot of money again.
    Please give me some advice.

Thanks.

Basudha

7. Riki

Riki Rookie

Jul 21, 2006

If your evaluated transcripts show that you have done Student teaching from an accredited university,you are eligible to have a temporary credential from your county office of education.Then the application will be sent to CCTC and they will decide (processing takes 9 months now) if the credential will be issued or denied.But you can start working in any public school with that credential.If the credential is issued, they will let you know what further coursework is needed to clear your credential.You will have 5 years to complete the temporary.But your transcripts should clearly mention the area in which you did your student teaching.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 21, 2006

Basudha, congratulations on passing CBEST! As to the credentialing questions, your best bet (as Riki hints) is to have a talk with your county office of education about just what it is that you need and how you need it.

9. ms smily

ms smily Rookie

Jul 22, 2006

hi basudha,
    i too hv the BEd from india and i am all the way confused with the procedures for the credentialing program, it doesnt make sense to do one year credentialing here in US again after one year of BEd . anyway, i am in your area , and preparing for cset and do let me know how u r proceeding with teacher prep procedure.:angel:

10. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Jul 22, 2006

That is great news indeed! Where do you live? I am in Fremont. Let me know, we can prepare altogether. I was thinking to go ahead through CSH, but not sure yet.

11. ms smily

ms smily Rookie

Jul 23, 2006

well i am in berkeley,and it would be really gr8 if we can form kinda stud y group , r u preparing for cset first or just heading for the cred program?

12. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Jul 23, 2006

I am planning to prapare for CSET, but haven't started yet. What are you doing? Single subject--- or multiple? I was confused about social study part since I didn't study here. Are you feeling confident? Are the prep programs worth taking?

13. ms smily

ms smily Rookie

Jul 25, 2006

Well, i am preparing for the single subject maths , and regarding th eprep programs what i gather up is that they are worth to some and waste of money to others, just depends upon your learning abilty and attitude. To me , books can be the best guide for preparing for cset.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2006

Learning style is also a factor: some people do better studying off by themselves, while others do better if they have a community in which to work.

15. bnewsome

bnewsome Rookie

Jul 27, 2006

I am curious to know if anyone out in forum land is having the same problems with the Praxis 1 as myself. I took the Reading in 04 and scored 178, I took the reading again in 05 and scored 178, I took the reading again in 06 and score 178. I took the math in 04 and scored 167 and took the math again in 06 and scored 167. Is anyone having problems with the same scores on the Praxis, this is highly unusual. Please let me know.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 27, 2006

It's not all that uncommon. Does the Praxis I score report give any diagnostic information to tell you in just what skills you're coming up short?

17. bnewsome

bnewsome Rookie

Jul 27, 2006

It appears pretty uncommon to me. On the second reading exam, I changed three answers and still came up with a 178. I passed the reading exam and the writing exam on the first try, I just need one point. Therefore, I was attempting to take the test over for a higher score. I decided to take the math and I received the same score again.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 27, 2006

Believe me, it's not that uncommon for scores to cluster quite closely till the tester figures out what needs to change.

So does Praxis I give you information about skill areas in which you had trouble, or not?

19. bnewsome

bnewsome Rookie

Jul 27, 2006

Yes, and I focused on those areas in the math. I have problems in the geometrical area, therefore, I have focused in this area for the next test.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 27, 2006

LearningExpress has several books that might help: Practical Math Success in 20 Minutes a Day is one of them, and I believe there's a title in geometry. You might also look for test prep books for kids - Know It All! Math from Princeton Review has a title for grades 6 through 8 that might be helpful, and there should be plenty of short workbooks for kids in geometry too.

21. bnewsome

bnewsome Rookie

Jul 27, 2006

Thank you, I did order the practical math....book and I utilized the website praxismath.com and sat math, and praxis books.

22. bnewsome

bnewsome Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

I took the test again a few days ago and received the same score again. Something appears a little interesting. I have taken the math three times and I have made the same score three times. I have taken the reading and made the same score three times. I only need one point to have a composite score and for some weird reason, I am making the same score. I have spent a great deal of money to make the same score.

23. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2006

Interesting...

This test seems to be very well designed if you can take it three times and get the same results. My hat is off to the designers.

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 5, 2006

Hm. Could be you need individual help. If you engage a tutor, make sure the tutor looks at the materials on the Praxis Web site and at a prep book that contains questions that make you uncomfortable.

If there's a type of geometry question that gives you particular grief, you could post it here. Somebody's bound to be able to offer some help.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  25. math helper

math helper New Member

Aug 30, 2006

Hi,

Congratulation for passing CBEST. I am trying to pass CBEST writting part from so long time. If you have any advise, resources....anything and everything which can help me. Please let me know.

Thanks for your help

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 30, 2006

math helper, your post suggests to me that English isn't your first language. If your first language is Spanish, you could try LearningExpress's book Writing Skills Success con instrucciones en español by Judith Olson: the guidance is in Spanish, but the exercises ae in English. If your first language ISN'T Spanish, you may get more good from the English-only version (Writing Skills Success in 20 Minutes A Day) or from another LearningExpress book, Write Better Essays by Elizabeth Chesla.

You might also want to consider taking a composition class.

27. math helper

math helper New Member

Aug 30, 2006

I am from India. So, English isn't my first language. I will get the book which you have suggested. Thanks for the help. If you know any website or person near LA area who can check my essay and show my mistakes in essay.

Thanks for help

28. daxa

daxa Rookie

Sep 3, 2006

I am also from India, preparing for CBEST reading/writing. First, Try to take english Reading/writing class at community college. Reading class help to how to write. I am going to take eng 51 basic composition in this coming Fall. Second, read story books. you can check our at the local Library. I guess, Reading is the best helper to pass writing test. That's How I am preparing for CBEST reading/writing Test. Write to me, if you have any tips for CBEST Reading. Good luck!!

29. whocares

whocares New Member

Oct 25, 2006

Ialso have passed CBEST and trying to pursue further.
    I submitted my transcrips to sjsu and waiting for the report.
    I want to do the elementary school teaching also by giving the CSET (multiple subject)--should I take any preparation class for that? Since I have done B.ED from India, can't I waive the credential program here?
    Thanks.

30. whocares

whocares New Member

Oct 25, 2006

I'm also from India,preparing for CSET.Are you also preparing for CSET?

31. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Oct 25, 2006

I am also from India and got my BED done there. I was kind of lost and confused apprehending the requirements in USA, but by the help of the prudent people in this site (Malcom, Teachergroupie----), I am clearer now.

According to my understanding, you have to submit the foriegn transcripts in Sacramento (board of Education) and wait for preliminary teaching credential (5 years). But there is no guaranty about the acceptance. You might have to go through the processes here.

There are a lot of books on Multiple subjects; Kaplan---Barrons--- better take the advices from the experienced persons in here. Wait for their reply.

-Basudha

32. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Oct 25, 2006

I am preparing for single subject CSET, SCIENCE.

-Basudha

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 25, 2006

Take this question to your local county office of education - but I'm guessing you'll be told that you do have to go through a credential program of some sort. California's a bit of a stickler when it comes to qualifications from elsewhere.

34. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Nov 1, 2006

Isn't there any practice test area in the CSET home-page please? There is one for multiple subject, but I was looking for single subject science. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks-- Basudha

35. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Nov 14, 2006

What is the matter? I am not getting any email since last 10 days inspite of I have posted a question long back.

Any clue!!!

-basudha

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 14, 2006

The only CSET for which there's a PRACTICE test is CSET-Multiple Subjects, because those test takers are the most numerous (and the neediest). There are certainly SAMPLE questions on the site, in among the Test Guides documents.

37. daxa

daxa Rookie

Feb 28, 2007

Nees help on CBEST English

Hi Basudha,

I am also from India and have a bachelor's from India. I am looking for single subject credentials in Maths. I have difficulty on passing CBEST reading and writing as you know because english is our second language. I apear many times in CBEST. I have read your post many times before and you also had same difficulty in CBEST, however, you passed CBESt so I want you to know How did you prepare for yourself in order to pass CBEST. pls let me know, I will really appriciate your help

Best Regards,
    Daxa