Score report

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by veg_guy, Jun 21, 2005.

1. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

Jun 21, 2005

I just got my score report for Subtest II. I knew that since I passed I wouldn't get my scale score. But I really thought they'd give more feedback, like how many multiple choice items I got right on each section, what scores my constructed responses received, etc. The little amount of feedback they provide is incredibly unhelpful! It's amazing that they can get away with this...

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 21, 2005

This is probably a venting thread, but...

The place to look for performance indicators is in the chart on side 2 of the official score report.

The plus marks, on a scale from 1 to 4, represent quartiles: on multiple choice, "+" means you got between 0 and 25% of questions right, while "++++" means you got between 76% and 100% of questions right. Similarly, with the overall performance indicators for constructed response, "++" means you got between 26% and 50% of available constructed response points and "+++" means you got between 51% and 75%.

The constructed responses are scored individually by p, k, s, or check mark. Check mark means your answer was adequate overall (though check mark doesn't necessarily translate into a top raw score of 3). As for the alphabet soup...

"p" - answer that fell short in dealing with Purpose (the question wasn't dealt with fully, the stimulus material wasn't dealt with fully, or the answer was off topic).

"k" - answer that fell short in Knowledge (background knowledge wasn't there, buzzwords relevant to the domain weren't there, applications weren't there)

"s" - answer that fell short in Support (concrete examples not given, explanation of thought process not given, relevant authorities not mentioned).

That passing scores are reported without numbers is not by NES' choice (it would probably have been easier for NES to report all the numbers, as NES still does for CBEST). The California Commission for Teacher Credentialing, which commissioned CSET, decided that numerical passing scores should not be available for districts to use in hiring decisions. That's why the score report doesn't have numbered pages: side 1, with the two charts that show progress on the testing day and progress to date, is what goes to the district.

4. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

Jun 21, 2005

I don't see anything on the score report indicating that the plus marks represent quartiles. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that you've now provided me with more useful information than the report itself. :)

Anyway, I understand that they're not allowed to report your actual scale score if you pass; I just think that they could easily present more detailed information since there's no way you could reconstruct your actual scale score.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 21, 2005

Quartiles make the most sense, and here's why: quartiles are what box-and-whisker plots are divided into (see CBEST - teachers need to know this to interpret district-wide standardized test results), which means quartiles make sense for test-score reports, and a QUARTile is literally one QUARTER of the data, also known as one FOURTH, which makes sense for a scoring scale that runs from one to FOUR pluses. (TeacherGroupie gets points for Knowledge and Support.)

There's another reason why it's difficult to reconstruct an actual score, and that is that not all CSET questions are created equal, because it's very hard to write ANY two test questions to be of exactly equivalent difficulty - so all test-making companies build a fudge factor into the algorithm for deriving scaled scores from raw scores.

6. forget-me-not

forget-me-not Rookie

Jun 23, 2005

hey you! way to go!!!!! i hope i can come back and say the same when i get my results in aug after july 16ths test. so......tell me what did you think was the hardest stuff on the test? i am still freaked out...big time veg guy. and by the way are you a vegetarian? :angel: