Score! Free stuff! How should I use it?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Ruby731, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Ruby731

Ruby731 Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

I wanted to supplement my Social Studies curriculum, so I went to the local visitors center and got a ton of pamplets, maps, and two posters. They are all about locations and attractions in our state. I'm just trying to think of how to use them. Should I have questions made about them at workstations(centers)? That seems time consuming. I already plan on doing map reading lessons. Thanks for your ideas. The teachers on these boards have so many good ideas.

P.S. I am thinking about having a travel theme this year so any ideas for tie ins for that would also be appreciated!

THANKS!

3. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

My other 4th grade teacher has a huge map of our state and the US (that show the trails during the Westward Expansion movement). She has pamphlets and postcards from various locations and attractions around it also and uses it as an extension of her teaching during our state history lessons.

4. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

What about a creative learning center that wouldn't require much prep? Maybe you can have the maps and pamphlets and have them create a map of their town or neighborhood. Or even a map of their house. Have them create the maps and also make map keys and use directions to tell you how to get to a certain spot on the map. As far as the pamphlets, this can give them the opportunity to create travel brochures for their town or even to outer space! This would incorporate drawing and writing. Hope that helps out a little bit!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2008

Use the brochures and pamphlets for shared reading activities looking at non-fiction text features and conventions.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 11, 2008

I have students write like they visited specific places, make new brochures, create postcards of attractions, and come up with itineraries for imaginary trips. They also answer questions about brochures, doing "brochure searches".

Most of my brochures have come from the Florida Welcome Centers at I-75 and I-95... :)

7. allyd

allyd Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

I assign each team in my class a region of PA and then they can use the brochures and maps to make their own travel brochure. I make sure that I tell the students who their audience is, so that they can choose the appropriate activities. You can also go to your local government officials and they usually will have some free stuff about the local government and other things for your class. One year they made each of my students a "goody bag" of maps, puzzles, etc. It was great!

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 3, 2008