Scissor Skills

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by chicagoturtle, Mar 6, 2007.

1. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Mar 6, 2007

Anyone have any good Scissor skills books or websites. I need BASIC like simple lines, squares, etc.

3. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Mar 6, 2007

How about coupons? I use all those junk mail coupons.

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Mar 6, 2007

I never thought of that. I don't tend to get to many junk cupons though. Just a lot of catalogues... I'll keep that in mind though.

5. preschool4me

preschool4me Rookie

Mar 6, 2007

I would beware of cutting magazines with kids just learning to use scissors. They have a hard time with the flimsy paper. Sturdier construction paper is better. Draw lines or zig zags on construction paper with an X on the left to start and a simple drawing like a bunny on the other side. Tell them to cut their way down the bunny trail to get to the bunny. You could also let them use scissors with playdough.

I was ready to ban scissors today when I found a bunch of freshly cut hair on the floor and another child stuck her fingers in the scissor blades again and cut her finger again for the like the fourth time in the last few months. :(

6. Mrs. B.

Mrs. B. Rookie

Mar 6, 2007

I think it's called KUMON that has some books about cutting with scissors. They have them at the Barnes & Noble here, you could make copies for the kids.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 6, 2007

turtle...

I have a bunch of scissor skill worksheets for various themes sent through a Yahoo group I'm part of. if you PM me your email, I'll send them on. They're mostly straight, wavy, or zigzag lines that have a particular shape at the end (to tell the kids where to stop)

We draw lines or shapes on paper and copy them on bright colored paper... my kids LOVE them. They're also really in to the "extra" sheets we have when, for instance, you copy a page to reduce it and then need multiple copies... they love the extras off of there... or having something to cut out.

Cardstock and construction paper are easier to cut than copy or magazine paper. :)

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

11. Periwinkle

Periwinkle Rookie

Mar 7, 2007

My favorite book that I use with my class is Little Kids...CUT!. The book is published by Teacher's Friend. It's great. It starts out with activities involving cutting very simple straight lines and then ends up with cutting activities for every holiday and season.

12. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Mar 7, 2007

thanks everyone :) keep them comming....

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 7, 2007

ok, turtle, that's all the ones I have. if i get any more, i'll try to remember to send them on. :)