Science.

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by roseteacher12, Aug 29, 2009.

1. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 29, 2009

We don't have a science curriculum in place at my school but we do need to have science everyday (most of the time in centers not whole groups lessons). I am wondering how to structure this. I was thinking of trying to focus on one aspect or unit a month rather than just random science activities in the center. Does anyone have a pacing chart or unit chart of how they teacher science? Also, I'd love any ideas for science centers as well as I feel I will start to run out of ideas eventually! :thanks:

3. blitz1030

blitz1030 Rookie

Aug 29, 2009

I am not a teacher yet and have never taught kindergarten but I do have a young son about that age. I try to do science projects with him on the weekend. One of his favorite was pertaining to colors. I got 3 containers and put a water/food coloring mixture in each: one red, one yellow, one blue. I put a disposable pipette in each one and let him mix the colors into a little dish to see the color changes. He loved it. He wanted to do it for hours and I think he learned quite a bit.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 29, 2009

Out science units are:

-Weather
    -Alive (talking about different habitats, and what animals and plants need to survive)
    -5 senses

It's our first year doing weather and 5 senses, and I'm really looking forward to the 5 senses unit. I think there are a lot of fun things that could be done with it. I'm sure you could do 5 senses in centers.

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2009

I assume your state has science standards that you need to cover? What are those? I would familiarize myself with those, and then find some fun themes to tie them into.

Living/nonliving
    Senses
    Weather
    Plants
    Insects
    Life cycles (we usually do at least butterflies and frogs)
    Habitats
    Physical science such as the way things move
    Magnets

6. jlj

jlj Devotee

Sep 1, 2009

We do our own too. I found a book- Science Play! by Jill Frankel Hauser - Williamsonbooks - Beginning Discoveries for ages 2-6 It has a lot of simple ideas, art, experiments, etc. by subject. Science is incorporated all through the year ie. seasons, weather, 5 senses, health-rest, exercise, nutrition, dental, animals-pets, farm, wild, zoo, birds, insects/spiders, reptiles/amphibians, pond/sea life, seeds/plants, water fun & safety, space, etc., etc...