Science

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Alesia, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Jun 17, 2009

What do you have in your science area?

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 17, 2009

The science area is one of the hardest for PS teachers to handle.

Here are some suggestions:
    Magnets
    Sink and float
    wood and wood products
    Rocks
    Leaves
    nature
    measuring

Sometimes I use the water table for science--measuring cups, float and sink, tubes, ice.

Sometimes we cook for science: how does matter change? ice to water, water to gel, water to vapor

Keep a chart of weather

It helps to broaden your idea of what science is. For the very young, some rocks and cups make a great science area. For the older ones, a variety of rocks with a chart identifying them, and a magnifying glass works.

4. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 18, 2009

I love the science center, it's always one of the most popular centers. Here's a link to the science center page on my site with pictures and a list of all the items there.

5. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Jun 19, 2009

I like to add clip boards and pencils so that the children can record their research. Or at least pretend to. Besides the great things that Old Teacher mentioned I also have my marble ramps(beginning physics), stethoscope, mirrors, binoculars, and sea shells. I have a tornado in a bottle and some oil water bottles the kids made themselves too.

I love science!! To me it is the easiest because I can go outside and pick flower or gather twigs and I have a learning center.

6. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jun 21, 2009

I have a sensory table and a discovery table. Sensory table right now has sand in it with sand oy, butI've had toher things like shredded paper, fake snow (we made it and it does feel kinda cold), mud, gak, slime, poting soil etc the discoveryt able ahs random things that catch my eye and I put them there and let the kids "discover" them

7. MissDen

MissDen Rookie

Jun 21, 2009

I don't have a set science center in my classroom. Our science activities often need different types of settings and requirements so I simply move the "science center" to where we need it at that particular time. I gather up all of the materials I need for the week then store them in my teacher's cabinet or in the resource room and when the time comes for science time I pull the items neccessary and set them up accordingly. :D

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 22, 2009

I too have roaming science. I do have a home base for the center that has static things like rocks and magnifing glasses. The children know where to go to get it, and they drag it to the garden or where ever the science is happening that day. We have a wonderful outdoor lab that was certified as a National Backyard Habitat by NWF (National Wildlife Federation).

9. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Jun 22, 2009

MissDen and WaProvider, Do you have a written science curricuum that you use? What does your lab consist of? Do you take them out everyday and do science projects? Sorry so many questions. We are on a great property that has a wonderful wooded area.There is a ton of wildlife, edible plants and indigenous plants. I would love to take full advantage of it!

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 22, 2009

Does your site require a written curric?

11. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 22, 2009

Our outside lab is based on needs of city based wildlife (birds and squrrels) that is why the National Wildlife Fed certifies it.

So we have to have things for shelter, food (this means we had to look at our animals in the area and decide what they eat and need) and a place to raise young. bird houses, caterpillar food for overwintering and so on. We have to have organic type fert/chemicals so that means the kids get to see the ladybugs and mantis rather that hide from the sprayer. It took a while to get ready, but it rolls well now.

The lessons we do are season based - so for spring we were planting for gardens (food and for the flowers - that are really for nectar and seeds for the animals). but it didnt' stop there we were looking at nutrition, how and when to plant, doing the planting, getting the benificals in so the ladybugs could do their jobs and so on. Now we are eating and counting how much we gather.

during the fall we graph leaves and find seeds and count squirrels and so on. We are very busy out there, i am not sure i am explaining it very well.

12. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jun 23, 2009

I wish we had an outside area. It sounds like a great way to naturally incorporate science into your program.

13. MissDen

MissDen Rookie

Jun 23, 2009

I don't have a set curriculum. I have weekly lesson plans that I create and follow. It's pretty much up to me what is included in our daily activities. Of course I have to meet the educational requirements but I just plan science projects that coincide with our weekly theme. I teach what I know and research things that I need to know more about before I introduce it to my kiddos.

My "lab" consists of whatever is needed for that particular project/experiment. No, we don't do science projects every day but we discuss scientific ideas all the time. For example. If we are outside and stumble across a caterpillar, we will discuss the life stages...etc.

I'm a little jealous! I wish we had more nature on our property! I'm a big ol green person! Lol!

14. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Jun 23, 2009

No we do not require a written curriculum. We usually just go out and talk about the things that catch our eyes. From there we just let the kids lead the discussion. I know that some people have science all charted out and know what they are teaching when. I never do. I just go with the flow.

15. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 23, 2009

Ok, teacherR, that helps.

I do have it all charted out. I have a minor in bio so I do that for fun. but it isn't so much different than others. we do spend a fair amount of time in what i call comparitive anatomy (in my head) because that was the only course i got a c in). we look at what makes a fish, bird, rep, mammal, insect, worm and so on. we use the real terms, we find the ways things are alike. It is a life time lesson, not a week one. We also look at ecosystems and biomes. again not in a week.

there are huge lessons that don't fit into a season like the outside lab stuff. it changes at its' own pace---we log, count, draw and notice.

fall-forest, bears, weather changes, bug/spider debate---lab=leaf sort, nut sort, frost, cooking for holiday, spider hunt and playdo diagrams of spiders and bugs

winter-snow/ice, polar regions----lab=freezing water w/additives until it doesn't freeze. this is usually outside.

spring-plant life cycles, butterfly and why they help, caterpillar life cycle and why they help.nutrition lab=garden planting, caterpillar and ladybug raising and releasing.

summer--depends on interest.

16. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Jun 24, 2009

Thanks for the info ladies. It helps.