Science Topics

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by summersun61, Jul 12, 2008.

1. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jul 12, 2008

I am trying to plan out my science units for the year. I haven't been very good so far in making science "fun" for certain topics. I need help coming up with fun activities for the following topics:

1. Using a magnifying glass
    2. Gravity: Push/pull, pulley/wedge/etc
    3. Temperature
    4. Scientific process
    5. Magnets

I have a few good ideas for animals (growing and changing), life cycle, 5 senses, and plants. Other ideas would be welcome though!

Any ideas??? :)

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 12, 2008

sink &float, water cycle, weather

4. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jul 12, 2008

Was that a response to me or were you citing more topics...got confused? :)

5. gab

gab Comrade

Jul 12, 2008

With magnifying glasses I let the kids do a lot of free exploration on themselves and around the room. I do that so when we are looking at our rocks or insects they can focus on that rather than exploring off topic. I also let them use them to do their scientific drawings because we want as many details as possible. As you listed plants as a topic they could utilize them then as well for observing and drawing.

I don't know what you need to meet as a goal for temperature but with our math there is a bit of cross over having students measure the temperature of varying degrees of water...cold, warm, hottish. I have a volunteer do this in small groups so students can see the change in the thermometer. We also use thermometers when we observe ice melting.

For magnets, our K teachers let the kids walk the room first illustrating items they think are magnetic and then checking with a magnet. Unfortunately, one year a student drew and computer and ended up ruining the screen so some items or areas should be noted as off limits to students.

Don't know if this is what you were looking for. Good luck!

6. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 12, 2008

magnets- get iron fillings and put it in a zip bag and have them use a long bar magnet , horseshoe, and ring magnet.
    They also like to use a pencil with 2 ring magnets and what happens when you put opposite ends on pencil.
    Make a list of items to check to see if magnetic or not. Make a worksheet with the names of object on it and a column for estimation and actual. Give objects in bag to group and test one at a time. Make sure to include magnetic rock (this gets them every time)

7. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 13, 2008

I'm not sure how you could use this... but you can get some cereal that has iron in it, like Total, and crush it up. You can use a magnet to separate the iron out!

8. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

Good ideas, thank you!