science subject area

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by aemangan, Jun 29, 2009.

1. aemangan

aemangan New Member

Jun 29, 2009

I am currently certified to teach k-6, but really want to get into middle and high. I just graduated in Dec. 08 and have yet to find a job. I want to take some subject area exams, but i don't know what I am getting into. Any advice? I really like science. Anyone take that exam in Fl. and if so what advice to have as far as study material?

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2009

I haven't taken the FL exams. But, I have taken similar CA exams produced by the same company, NES. I think the same strategy would work for both.

My experience is that, for the most part, commercial guides are a waste of time and money. IIWY I would go to the FL DOE site and download the current Competencies and Skills document for the exam you want to take. (It wouldn't hurt to buy the Test Information Guide from NES. It has the same info plus sample questions, etc.) The document is a broad outline of what can show up on the test. Use it as a starting point to roll your own study guide. Fill it in from web and print resources until you have sufficient detail. If a topic is not in the Competencies and Skills document, or at least implied by it, don't bother studying it. It won't be on the test. You probably don't need to know much beyond what is in currently adopted high school texts for your state.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 30, 2009

I don't think NES (or properly the Evaluation Systems group of Pearsons) is itself responsible for the Test Information Guide - that document, and the fact that it's not on the Web site for free, makes me think it dates back to the days when Florida ran its own teacher tests. I could be wrong, though.

5. DC-28

DC-28 Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

DC-28

[ Hello-Aemangan
    I would like to commend you for your success in passing the Social Science-FTCE Examination. I do not know as to what other subject area that you would have interest, but if you decide to pursuit something of interest, please do so. The more certified you are, hopefully the better your chances for employment. This economy in our society and down sizing jobs along with job layoffs is very creepy. I am interested in becoming a Social Science and Physical Education teacher in addition to coaching High School Football in the State of Florida. I would like to know where did you find your information that prepared you for the FTCE-Social Science examine. Please pursuit you interest.

Thank you-DC-28:)

QUOTE=aemangan;996451]I am currently certified to teach k-6, but really want to get into middle and high. I just graduated in Dec. 08 and have yet to find a job. I want to take some subject area exams, but i don't know what I am getting into. Any advice? I really like science. Anyone take that exam in Fl. and if so what advice to have as far as study material?[/QUOTE]