Science/Social Studies Themes

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by krisaustin, Oct 17, 2008.

1. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Oct 17, 2008

I teach students with severe needs in first and second grade. The students are at developmental level of preschoolers. I am looking to incorporate monthly science and social studies themes into our curriculum.

I looked at the standards for my state and I am trying to think of how I could incorporate these topics into monthly themes. I all ready do themes around the holidays, but looking for more specific themes centered around science/social studies standards.

The only thing that I have come up with so far is community helpers.

Does anyone incorporate these types of themes into their curriculums? I am looking for any suggestions and activities use with monthly themes.

3. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Oct 17, 2008

Safety
    Friends
    Plants
    Animals
    Leaders
    Careers

Does this help? Without knowing specific standards, I only came up with a few ideas.

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2008

The new curriculum made by the news-2-you people (it's called Unique Learning System) has a pretty great topic list based on science and social studies state standards/objectives. Check it out:

http://www.uniquelearningsystem.com/schedule.aspx

Rules
    President
    Weather
    Watch Me Grow
    I belong to a family
    Can I buy it?
    Plants can grow
    I've got energy

All of these topics are the over-arching theme for the month and then many other topics can be covered with the sub-topics.

There are different grade level bands, you can see the K-2 ones above, as well as some other options for 3-4.