Science/Social Studies Passages

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bumble, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jan 4, 2010

We have this new literacy remediation plan that incorporates science and social studies. We need to find passages that are related to social studies and science. I've searched the web, but cannot find a site that has "free" passages on the 3rd-5th grade level. I'm trying to spend close to nothing for this. The school/district will not supply this.

If anyone has a good website that contains ss and/or science passages, please share! Thanks in advance!

3. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Jan 4, 2010

Florida Passages

I don't know if this will help you but I'm in Florida and I use a lot of these passages with my 4th graders. They are all related to Florida but still some may be of use!

http://fcit.usf.edu/florida/lessons/lessons.htm

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 5, 2010

I have a file of editing passages that are almost all about presidents and government. PM me with your email address and I will forward it to you. Each passage is only 1 paragraph.

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jan 5, 2010

I'm a 5th grade science teacher, let me know what you're looking for (you can send me a pm if you want).

6. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Jan 6, 2010

I would look at edhelper.com. They have some science and social studies options now even with their free stuff, plus a subscription for a year is on the cheaper side.

You might want to also check out sciencenewsforkids.org. It might be a little higher than you would want. It is geared more towards middle school students, but there are some shorter articles which might work.

I just recently found dogonews.com. This might have more current events than anything.

Finally, kids.nationalgeographic.com The Stories tab might have more of what you are looking for.

I hope this helps!

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 6, 2010

I'm curious how a school can support a new remediation plan, but then not supply the proper passages??!? That's handy for a teacher!