Science project ideas?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by teachin3s, Sep 16, 2008.

1. teachin3s

teachin3s Rookie

Sep 16, 2008

Hello! I am a new teacher in a 3s classroom and I would like to do a science project with my students in two or three weeks. Our themes for the month are "Welcome to School", "All About Me", and "Families and Friends."

I am open to any and all ideas! Thanks so much in advance!

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2008

"Welcome to School" theme reminds me of apples! You can do a simple science experiment of sink/float with the apples. Ask your students if they think the apple will float or sink? Graph your answers.

4. teachin3s

teachin3s Rookie

Sep 16, 2008

I like that idea! We have apples all over our classroom so this would be a great way to incorporate that theme. Thanks!

Any other ideas would be great too!

5. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 16, 2008

How about putting rocks in water and comparing them wet or dry? also have them squueze lemonade and mix it with sugar. They love that.

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 16, 2008

you could compare lemonaide and apple juice that isn't so processed. Squeeze a lemon, can you get juice? Now squeeze an apple can you get juice? Bite the apple and chew it up - did you get juice? How come you can't get it into the cup? How do they get apple juice?

Perhaps someone has a juicer? Or put it in a blender and see if you can get juice. Strain out the seeds and enjoy. Fiber and all.

7. Robin

Robin Rookie

Sep 16, 2008

Flowers....pick a bunch of flowers from your garden...or a garden, and soak them to get rid of the gunk and bugs....but if a bug or two stay on, that's ok, if it's an ant or a pill bug....let the kids pull them apart and look with magnifying glasses. You can sort the petals into coffee filters by color and let them dry and then use them in collage.

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 16, 2008

For all about me... look at fingerprints with magnifying glasses. My kids LOVED doing their own prints with stamp pads, then studying them... does yours look like someone else's?

9. mum2tianna

mum2tianna New Member

Sep 17, 2008

Oh I love science :)

I run a home daycare now and miss my preschool classroom, but also love being at home with my kids ;)

Anyways today we are doing an experiment with ice. I froze a big bowl of water with apple slices in it. We are going to take it out and draw what we see. Then we are going to try to figure out what happens and how to get our "snack" out.

I love watching the children think and some of their answers are so cute.

After we melt the ice we talk about what happened, draw what we see again and eat our snack.

10. imat

imat Rookie

Sep 17, 2008

Hands on Science:
    Apple Shrivel on a Stick
    Peel apples and stick a stick in the bottom of them. When peeling the apple do different designs. One could be in the form of a face, another could be stripped or pock-a- doted. Place the peeled apples in a piece of styro foam so that they are standing up right to dry. Have the children guess what will happen to the apples. Dictate what the children say. Check them every other day and see if the children notice any changes. Dictate what they say. See if what the children predicted happened. (mix in some apples that you do not peel have the children predict what will happen.) For more ideas for apple theme. http://kidsworldexploration.com/id18.html

11. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2008

12. teachin3s

teachin3s Rookie

Sep 18, 2008

Thank you soooooo much for all of these ideas! I think I am going to use them all. My kids are really interested in science and these are all great ideas to try with them.

13. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 18, 2008

The greatest thing I have found about science is that all of the other "subjects" or domains of learning fit into it so well. From science topics there are math and literacy issues that are just "ripe for the picking" (a little apple humor). Enjoy. We love science here too.