Science - Physical Properties

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Teachling, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Sep 18, 2010

We have about two weeks or less to wrap up this unit before the kids get tested and I am having them do some sort of Cheat sheet they can use to study. I am envisioning one section for States of Matter, another for mixtures & solutions & another for conductors & insulators. Other than a simple foldable, any clever ideas? I'm also looking for an activity to help them with the vocabulary terms. Thanks!

3. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Sep 4, 2011

Well, Im hoping I have better luck this time. As a performance indicator, the kids have to design a kitchen and indicate what properties of matter can be found. They will also apply critical thinking by including why that particular property is useful in one area of the kitchen while on another area it would not. An example would be, the top part of an electric can opener is magnetic to help hold the can while it's opening it but using an aluminum pan would not be magnetic.

This project is a work in progress since we've had very little guidance but are required to do it & post for the principal to see. Im starting to get some ideas as to how to do it to make it easy and less timely.

I would appreciate your ideas and I'm also looking for a list of physical properties I can use this weekend to include some of it in the sample model I am working on for the kids. I have it but left it at school. :(

Appreciate your thoughts/input.