Science Olympiad

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Outdoorz, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Outdoorz

Outdoorz Rookie

Jun 2, 2014

Hello,

I am on a comittee to write a STEM grant proposal. I have heard about Science Olympiad for elementary schools and am interested in including SO as part of the proposal or some variation of SO. Have any of you done Science Olympiad type events in your elementary school? If so, what is your experience like? Did you use the manuals on the SO website or did you create your own?

Any information is appreciated. TIA

3. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Jun 2, 2014

Not at the elementary level (I teach HS), but I started up a team at a pervious school and the students LOVED it. I bet elementary students would be all over it!

One thing I would recommend is to reach out to people in the community (is there a nearby college?) to lend their expertise. When I started the team, I was basically flying solo. However, a couple of students took the initiative to go speak with the ROTC instructors about ballistics when they were preparing for their forensics event. They actually ended up placing 9th in a competitive regional tournament; I was so proud!

Parents are also a great resource. I would think that elementary parents might be particularly willing to help out. It's not always easy to get my HS parents to come in!

As far as manuals, if it were me I'd go with what they have online, especially just starting out. There's a lot to learn and manage without trying to reinvent the wheel yourself. Especially if you're writing a grant for it--go ahead and write that in!

Good luck and keep up posted on your progress! :thumb:

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 3, 2014

Go with what is online. That way, you can compete at the local or nearby events. The CDs are also very helpful.

5. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Jun 3, 2014

recruit parent volunteers to help coach teams after school. i helped with my son's elementary science olympiad and it was a lot easier when the students were split in small groups of 5-10 students then to try to manage 70 students in one place.