Science Mini-Lesson Ideas?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jdevine, May 21, 2008.

1. jdevine

jdevine Rookie

May 21, 2008

Hi Everyone,

I know that there are TONS of websites with lesson plan ideas out there and this may not be the place for me to be posting, but here goes. I am a graduate elem ed student and I have to do a science mini-lesson (15 min) next week and am at a loss. We can do it on anything (except for plants, water/ice/vapor, planets, and insects) and I don't have a clue. I've looked on a ton of lesson plan sites, but they all seem too complicated to do in 15 minutes. I'd like to do something intereting and hands-on, but I can't seem to figure it out, they just all seem so complicated and complex! Does anyone have any K-5 ideas for me?

Thanks!!

3. amyd

amyd Rookie

May 21, 2008

Hi, I'm an elementrary ed student too, and had to come up with a science mini-lesson like this a few months ago. You could do the concept of sink or float (bring in a tub with water and then variouse objects and ask students to predict if it will sink or float) this one you can easily make into a 15 min lesson.

4. jdevine

jdevine Rookie

May 21, 2008

Thanks so much, Amyd! Unfortunatly, someone else in my class is already doing that!! I feel so behind just because I can't think of anything!! :(

5. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

May 21, 2008

You could try a public library. I've found several books with ideas that could easily be done in a short period of time and/or expanded on. My favorite are the kitchen science books. Another book is "365 Simple Science Experiments with Everyday Materials" because you can select a project based on topic- water, gravity, etc.- or material- paper, eggs, string.... it's great!

6. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

May 21, 2008

How about living/nonliving? For an extension to the lesson, having them work in groups to cut out picture of living and nonliving things from magazines and glue onto a big chart.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 21, 2008

I have a really fun game. Ready?

Go to the gym or any large appropriate place to set up. Use masking tape (or gym lines) to show a large square (room parameter). Then mark a square for each corner and one in the middle. Post signs to indicate that alternate corners are water. The other corners are food. The middle is shelter. Half the class become deer waiting in their shelter. The other half are baby deer waiting to be born (sidelines). 1 student is chosen to be the wolf. The deer must touch shelter, food and water and back to shelter without being tagged by the wolf. Shelter is safe. Otherwise the deer goes to the boneyard. If the deer makes it, a baby is born and brought into the game. The deer and fawn have to travel the same journey together. Stop the game at appropriate times and ask appropriate questions. Then when the game plays out, play it again but change the parameters. Some parameters include: removing 1 food and 1 water, adding a wolf or two, not making shelter safe anymore, etc. The result is more deer are being sent to the boneyard. The population control is affected by environmental changes. I played this with first grade but added age appropriate questions. I've played this in college. It's FUN to run!