Science Lesson for an Observation

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Sheila, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Oct 7, 2008

Does anyone have any good ideas on a science lesson I can do for my observation? Every teacher in the school will be doing it with a science focus. I do have gerbils, fogs, and a bearded dragon in my room. I just ordered Ladybugs. Maybe they might arrive in time? Please post any ideas! Thanks!

3. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Oct 8, 2008

How about leaves? You could read Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf to open. I set up leaf "stations" in my room with every table having a different activity. The children moved around in small groups. They each had a book that I printed called My Leaf that I got off the internet. I gave each a leaf and on the 1st pg they drew/colored their leaf. The next pg said My leaf is __cubes long(measured with cubes). Other pgs: My leaf holds __ pennies, It took __ pennies to sink my leaf (have small bowls of water), When I drop my leaf, I can count to __ before my leaf gets to the floor. On one table, I had magnifiers so they could really examine their leaves Hubbards Cupboard has similar leaf book that you could print. Hope this helps!

4. MissB

MissB Companion

Oct 8, 2008

What about something with life cycles?

What about pumpkins? You could do pumpkin observations, measure them, explore the inside, the life cycle of a pumpkin, sequencing a pumpkin "from farm to table(pie)."

I can't believe how many critters in your room. We aren't aloud to have any critter (we do caterpillars though). You are lucky!

What are the other teachers doing?

5. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Oct 9, 2008

Thank you for the ideas! The leaf activities are great! The lifecycle might be what i go with. Comparing/contrasting two might be the key.
    As for my team, we haven't talked about the observations yet. I was trying to get ideas before hand.
    I do love my critters! The kids really do enjoy them. Under supervision they feed the lizard worms and the gerbils sunflower seeds. I enjoy using the animals as a springboard to teach them about different countries of the world. This weekend I will get a betta and that will round out my critters. I really wanted a pair of guinea pigs but due to allergies from the kids I couldn't.

6. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Oct 9, 2008

I did my science observation last year on ladybugs. It was my introduction lesson. Principal liked it so much that he wants me to tape it this year to share it with the staff.
    I started by doing a shared writing activity where the students helped me complete our list of what we THINK we know about ladybugs. I then showed them a powerpoint of ladybugs and we noticed that they are many colors but they were always symmetrical. The students then went back to their seats and I gave them a blackline master of a ladybug for them to decorate in a manner that looks like a real ladybug. We shared them. Then we went back to our list of what we THINK we know and stared anything that was confirmed and corrected any misconceptions. This was an intro lesson so no need to have the ladybugs yet. I do have a good lesson for once you have them too.

7. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Oct 9, 2008

How about doing a lesson on mammals and reptiles? Your students could select one kind of each and do a report. You could go online to look at animal cells. You could also look at reptile skin and mammal hair under the microscope.

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 9, 2008

I would link into a lesson like that by comparing and contrasting the "life cycle-biography charts" of the animals in the room. The betta would start in an egg, but no the hamster or the lizard. Then you could observe and chart the food, habitats and likes and dislikes of them all. That would involve something the children already have some experience with.