Science Fair

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by teacher143, Jan 29, 2009.

1. teacher143

teacher143 Rookie

Jan 29, 2009

Has any first grade teacher participated in a science fair? I have a capable class this year and was considering a doing a class project. Any thoughts?

3. mbboss

mbboss Rookie

Jan 30, 2009

Two years ago my class participated in a science fair. We did three projects as a class. They included:
    1. Egg in water versus egg in salt water
    2. What is going to float? candle, nickle, cork, and something else
    3. density- caro syrup, colored water, and oil- i think? google to make sure

My kids had a lot of making predictions on what was going to happen. Good luck

4. MsX

MsX Companion

Jan 31, 2009

One year I did the affect of light on plants and last year my class investigated which type of popcorn was best (we did a taste test and we looked at which brand left the fewest unpopped kernals)
    My grade-level partner investigated which brand of pencils was best for first grade; I thought that was a good one as well.

5. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2009

I just mentioned something fun (on another thread here) on the Sense of Taste...it would be great to do this as a class project.
    And I say "go for it"...Science Fair projects are great!!! Time-consuming :D but great! HERE"S THE THREAD:

My son & daughter did one on the Sense of Taste and they cut out pictures of "salty" "sour" "sweet" and "bitter". Then they taped 4little "pockets" onto the board where anyone viewing the board could "play the game" and put the pictures (lemon, coffee, chips, candy, etc...) into the appropriate sense pocket. We also included a mirror so that you could see the taste buds on their tongue. I never thought of adding a magnifying glass! oh well; their posters were tops!