Science Fair/Kids Inquiry Conference?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rebecca1122, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Oct 11, 2011

Hi there-
    I am a first year middle school science teacher this year :) My principal would like to see us do some type of science fair this year and I along with one other teacher are planning it. I have no experience with science fairs, but am trying think outside the box of a typical 'science fair'. My kids have no had very positive experiences with science in the past and have been jaded by a lot of bookwork and worksheets as opposed to doing real science in the classroom. I try to run as much inquiry based learning as possible and would like to see our science fair model this.

Does anyone have experience with Kids Inquiry Conferences? Or science fair success stories? I am not a parent, so any input from that perspective on what your children have had to do for science fairs would be great as well.

My goal is to create a fun, meaningful science fair experience where kids are excited to share what they (not their parents!) have done.

3. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Oct 12, 2011

We do a science fair every year where students must choose a question that they do not already know the answer to, then do an experiment to determine the answer. The science fair then consists of trifold presentation boards with all of the inquiry information. We allow them to work with a partner or by themselves. The experimentation is done outside the class, but we have due dates to check progress of students. Then for a week we work on our presentation boards by looking at various ones and talking about good/bad and using the rubric to grade a couple together to help them understand what needs to be done.
    We invite some scientists in different fields to come help judge them and give feedback. We also do a people's choice award that night. Let me know if you would like more details. The students look forward to it every year.

4. Letsgo

Letsgo Rookie

Oct 13, 2011

Maybe Rube Goldberg projects, if your curriculum covers that aspect of science?

Sad that your students haven't had good experiences so far!