Science Fair Ideas

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Mable, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2005

Trying to come up with an idea to do with my whole class when we return in January. We have to do a class science fair project and it has to go with our standards.

My two team mates are already doing something that has to do with how weather affects the type of clothing we wear and I think the other is doing plant growth.

I am not left with much- our KDG science standards are pretty dull once I tried to come up with a science fair project. I really wanted to do germs- but it's not a standard. But, it is talking about keeping ourselves clean and healthy. Any suggestions?

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 22, 2005

A friend of mine has done things like: which paper towel absorbs the most liquid, which diaper holds the most liquid, which bubble gum blows the biggest bubble, etc.

4. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Dec 22, 2005

Science Fair Topics for Kindergarten

I'm sitting here at winter break thinking about science fair too. Here is a list I found online, I don't know your state standards but maybe something will help.:)
    -survey of trees in neighborhood (classifying)
    - make a periscope
    -how does a tail on a kite affect it's flight
    -look for shapes around us (classifying)
    -make a kaleidoscope
    -Experiement with objects and whether they sink/float in water or different liquids (I think I'm going with this idea. This site has some lessons and units on this topic)
    -Compare fingerprints, how are they different/same

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2005

Do you do senses?
    Maybe take picture or have them draw a picture of friend when they taste different things. Have a touch sensory board everyone brings in something.

It's been awhile since I taught K.

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2005

I guess my problem is that I've done science fair projects when I taught intermediate (3-5) and I am so hung up on doing something more involved and complicated that I can't shift gears and think of something simpler for KDG. Hearing ideas is getting me down a few notches though. Thanks for the ideas! Still interested in more.

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 24, 2005

One year for the science fair we learned about volcanoes. We learned about the different layers, looked at different pictures, went on the using Internet. I had the children look for facts about volcanoes at home w/ their parents. Then I went to CVS and asked for the empty prescription bottles. We used them to make mini-volcanos. We had a great time making them and everyone liked it.

Another K teacher had her kids design robots out of recycled materials.