Science Extravaganza

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Emerson Squirl, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

Sep 9, 2009

If you had 2 days to devote just to science, what would you do? I've been looking for new ideas, and since I have two whole days I'd like to take advantage. The kids are age 6-11. I've got some rocket contraptions and a bridge building activity but what else could be done?...

3. KateL

KateL Habitué

Sep 9, 2009

When I was a kid, I had the book Mr. Wizard's Supermarket Science. (It's still sold on Amazon, and your library might have a copy too.) It's full of easy experiments that can be done for cheap with things you find in the supermarket (or around the house, in most cases). The experiments are cool, and they work. You might have the kids do a few of these, and then turn them loose to do experiments of their own choosing.

4. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

Sep 9, 2009

I was thinking of doing something like that but a big problem is that I literally have all day to do science with the kids- from 8 to 4:30. Maybe I'll look into what the library has to offer.

5. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

6. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Sep 9, 2009

I taught Science Academy for my school district this summer. We had the students for about 2 hours per day for 3 days. We did lessons on weathering and erosion. The kids went outside to dig soil to use for the activities. They really loved looking at the soil and seeing what it was composed of. These were students going into 5th grade. If you'd like a copy of the lesson plans we compiled, just let me know and I can send them to you!

7. janney

janney Cohort

Sep 9, 2009

You can have an Eggstraviganza. You could fill a lot of the day by doing different egg experiments.

8. Ross

Ross Comrade

Sep 9, 2009

I would introduce the students to the wonders of the sky.

We would pour over pictures of the planets and their moons, video and stills of solar eruptions and magnetic fields, finally being in awe at the Hubble photographs.

Lets talk about the space program in this country from the Mercury program to the present and what are the possibilities for the future.

Can we meet one night to explore the heavens, look through telescopes and binoculars, watch satellites, the International Space Station, and the Space Shuttle fly overhead.

That is what I would do if I had two days.

9. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Sep 9, 2009

http://www.childrensengineering.com/freeresources.htm
    This is one website with engineering ideas for elementary. I would do lots around engineering and problem solving. Some things could be as simple as we have x, y, and z that need to be moved to a specific location using a, b, and c. Let kids play with it, make mistakes, adjust ideas, and try again. It's the beauty of science. Rarely has any scientific endeavor been completed on the first attempt.