Science credential?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Science_teacher, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Science_teacher

Science_teacher Rookie

Jun 25, 2009

Hi,

What subjects in Science (life, earth, physical, general science etc.) can one teach in elementary, middle or high schools if one has a single subject credential in one of the areas of Science (lets assume - Biology) in California??

I know some people with a single subjet credential in science teach two different sections (e.g. physical and life) in middle schools. How does that work? I know if you have a specialized credential, you can teach that particular subject in high schools, but not in middle or elementary schools.

Please share your inputs.

Thanks!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 25, 2009

If you have the regular Science credential with the specialization - in, say, biology - then you can teach through AP Biology, but you can also teach general science classes in middle school and below - and, yes, that includes physical science along with the life science. This assumes, however, that you've satisfied the HQ requirements for general science, either by having sufficient coursework across the board or by passing CSET Science Subtests I and II.

4. Science_teacher

Science_teacher Rookie

Jun 25, 2009

Hi TeacherGroupie,

Thanks a lot :).

Your reply makes sense. However, I am not able to find this information on the CCTC's website. I wish I could find something official (a document or a reliable website) stating the same facts.

Do you have any suggestions? Please let me know.

Thanks!

5. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2009

If you have a single subject credential with a science: biological science, science: chemistry, science: physics, or science: geoscience authorization you can teach introductory or general science, introductory life science, and introductory physical science in a departmentalized classroom in all grades, and integrated science in grades 7-12. Middle school and elementary school physical and life science classes are introductory. So, you can teach them both with just one science authorization.

If you want more detail, there is a table that covers this in the Administrator's Assignment Manual which you can find on the CTC web site. Just who can teach what science is very complicated because of the different credentials CTC has issued over the years.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 25, 2009

Science_teacher, why is it that you need an official document? (I'm not trying to harangue, I'm trying to figure out just what the issue is and how to help.)

7. Science_teacher

Science_teacher Rookie

Jun 26, 2009

Thank you both TeacherGroupie and Malcolm. Thanks for the clarification.

Teachergroupie, I needed the official document beacuse I was getting mixed (and incorrect too) information from different resources, so I needed some official resource to get the right answer - something that I could rely upon. Now, I have got my answer :).

Thanks once again.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 26, 2009

Uh-huh: one of those situations. (There's a related one concerning special ed: districts were insisting (and may still be) that teachers of special ed in high school had to have a secondary authorization in every core subject they might ever teach AND have CSET-MS (the elementary one) into the bargain. I've been all over the CTC documents, but I can't get that reading out of them to save my life.)

9. Science_teacher

Science_teacher Rookie

Jun 27, 2009

I think I had also heard the same thing a few months back. I don't know why they have these complex rules and most importantly they are not easily accessible.

I wonder why don't they give this detailed info on the credential document?

10. Science_teacher

Science_teacher Rookie

Jun 27, 2009

Hi Malcolm and Teachergroupie,

I am back with a new question and was hoping that may be you could give me the answer :).

Malcolm, in your post, you said that if one has a credential in either physical science or biological science, he/she can teach both subjects in middle school with just one science authorization since middle school physical and life science classes are introductory. I was wondering what about middle school earth science (6th grade) -Who can teach that? The one who has a credential in earth/geo science? Isn't middle school earth science also considered introductory :confused:?

Based on what I found on CCTC, it looks like one needs to have a credential in geoscience in order to teach earth science - but I am not sure if it is only for high schools or middle schools as well? I did see subjects like "intro physical" and "intro life science" but did not see anything like "Intro earth science" :unsure:.

Additionally, I wanted to know what how do you get authorization for "Intro Science"? What CSET exams do you need to pass?

I am sorry if I am asking too many questions :( - but I would appreciate it if you can please clarify my doubts.

Thanks a lot in advance.

11. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2009

Earth science is a physical science. My understanding is that anyone with a single-subject science authorization can teach an intro course in it. Best to check with a credential analyst on this one, though.

There is a Foundational-Level General Science authorization for single-subject credentials which allows you to teach general and intro science courses K12 and integrated science K8. All you need to pass are CSET Science Subtests 1 and 2.