Science Club

Discussion in 'High School' started by deserttrumpet, Jul 30, 2010.

1. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 30, 2010

I am in charge of the school’s science club and am at a total loss for how to organize such a club and what the club should do. Any Ideas? :help:

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

Are there any state competitions for Science? Indiana has Science Olympaid sponsored by Indiana University. There are about 20 different events kids compete in, awarded medals for indidivual events, and then an overall team winner.

Is there a state sponsored Science Fair?

Is there a local college/university nearby where you could interact with the science dept?

Is there any local industry heavy on the science side that could work with your club to show science in the workforce?

4. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jul 31, 2010

Either participating in Science fairs or sponsoring/organizing one at your school is a great idea. Seeing science in the workforce would be incredible - see if the kids can visit a research lab, something in the medical field, nuclear power plant, etc. Even things like a behind the scenes tour of a science museum or zoo! See what careers or topics many are interested in, and try to find things accordingly. It would be an awesome opportunity for them!

Take them other places, too, like a planetarium, bird watching, star gazing, Physics Day at Six flags, etc.

If your school does not have a separate Environmental club, tackle that stuff. Recycling, Earth Day, that sort of thing. When I was in high school, I was president of the environmental club, which was as close to a science club as we got. We planted trees, built a little park area on the school campus, raised and released butterflies, adopted a whale, took a trip to the zoo which included a behind the scenes tour, that sort of thing, as well as helping with school recycling, highway cleanups, etc. One of our goals (which we didn't achieve in my time, at least) was a whale-watching trip. It depends upon if you want to go in that direction or not.

Good luck! :thumb:

5. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 31, 2010

Hmm, some very good ideas. I like the science fair idea (as I was a science fair nerd in high school :lol:

Part of our problem is we are rural, which means everything is at least 80 miles away.

There is already a go green club on campus that recycles. and I teach an environmental science class. However, I like the idea of planting trees and adopting whales.

These are such great ideas, Thanks!

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 12, 2010

I was the Science Olympiad coach last year at my tiny school. Ended up with three students participating, lol. Anyhow, the Science Olympiad info is on the internet. You could join (I think it cost $75) and the students work among themselves until the regionals in the Spring. If they score high enough they go to the state competition. So two trips out of town with everything else being in your classroom.