Science and Social Studies

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by mstnteacherlady, Jul 24, 2007.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 24, 2007

I was looking over our new schedule for this year and I realized that our Science and Social Studies times are crazy! They have it arranged so that the last group to go to lunch (my class) gets out of lunch at 12:40, however, they have that Social Studies is from 12:20-1:00. At 1:00, all 5th graders go to Specials (library, ACS, Music, PE, etc.) and return at 1:40. They then have Science scheduled from 1:40-2:20. The first dismissal bell rings at 2:20. After lunch, we will have a restroom break, which will leave roughly 15 minutes for Social Studies. What I'm thinking would be best is to use the few minutes we have after lunch and before specials as a review time. Whatever needs to be touched on again will be done at this time...kind of like an extended review. Then, after specials I would teach Science and Social Studies, alternating by day or units. Would it make sense to use that time for a review type activity and then do Science and Social Studies after their specials class? Am I totally crazy for trying to work it in this way?

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 24, 2007

You have a great idea. Go for it.

4. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

I am glad (or sad I guess) that others have the same problem I do. I have struggled trying to plan my sci & ss schedule this year. I have 60 min- 30 min of that my inclusion kids will be resource. I was going to do 25 min and 35 min, and flip flop the subject each day. My friend & I were talking about it and I think I am going to swap subjects each day.

Either way it is going to be a struggle... I am just going to try it and hope for the best.

I hope that you can work out your schedule :) 15 min will be a long enough time for a review (but not too long to burn out the kids). Good luck!

5. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 24, 2007

We also have daily math drills we are required to do, so part of the time will probably go to that as well!

Loves2Teach, are you doing 2 days of one subject, 3 of the other and then switch the next week? How are you planning to alternate days?

6. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2007

I am just going to alternate every day... I think it will end up working out. Will try it for a couple of weeks, and if it doesn't I will go back to the drawing board.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 25, 2007

It would work out well to use those short time periods to review vocab. I made my weekly vocab straight from social studies last year and it really helped them to remember the content. I even had names of battles, people, dates as vocab words or terms. We would review for 5 miutes each morning.