science and art integration

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by mary2122, Jan 30, 2008.

1. mary2122

mary2122 Rookie

Jan 30, 2008

I am currently a student teacher for a third grade class and one of my assignments was to create a lesson integrating art and science....it has to be something REAL that could have REAL photographs...so no dinosaurs because no one was around to take photos....I am coming in half way through the year so they already did animals, nature, weather, and the solar system.....any ideas? it could be a drawing lesson integrated with something science

3. Bernard

Bernard Companion

Jan 30, 2008

Animals and nature are pretty broad.
    What are their upcoming science topics?
    Fossils come to mind - possibly looking at and sketching real fossils and then making plaster cast fossils with leaves and shells.

4. Violet

Violet Rookie

Jan 31, 2008

I've done the fossil prints in the past. I have used shells and they always turn out great! The kids love making them!:up:

5. Dawnathome

Dawnathome Rookie

Feb 10, 2008

I'm a homeschooling mom, not a teacher so forgive me if my thoughts aren't doable in a classroom setting (I can see what works at my kitchen table being a recipe for disaster in a classroom of 30 kids. :)) but what about magnets? Kids could do a thick wash of paint on a paper then put a different pieces of metal on top and then drag them around the paper with a magnet underneath to make a print. You could have a bunch of different objects so they could explore what worked with the magnet and what didn't.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Feb 10, 2008

Also, if you are doing physics, you can roll marbles around in paint and make paintings by tilting a baking pan with a piece of paper in it. It makes very modern art! Check out how the force and tilt makes a difference in the way the painting looks.

Also, balance and motion can be examined by making mobiles.

You could also do the human body/senses and teach the kids how to do life drawings, or at least faces... but this is really more about art.

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 10, 2008

I could see having them make a three-dimensional diagram (maybe of the parts of a plant) and then label them.