schools

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by e6789, Aug 8, 2012.

1. e6789

e6789 Rookie

Aug 8, 2012

What makes schools start at a certain date? The school system I grew up in didn't start back till the Tues after labor day. We always got out anywhere from a day to a week after the others who started earlier. My school starts the 20th, but I started July 30. Just wondering if anyone has an idea what determines the calendar.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2012

North Carolina state law dictates our start and end dates. Michigan state law does not allow schools to start before Labor Day (with the exception of year round schools)

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2012

State guidelines are a factor...some states rely on teen summer employment to staff beaches, camps...other factors include weather ( you DON'T want to be in Schiller in late June in HOT southern states), also northern states may build in snow days and winter breaks tat other states don't have....

5. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 8, 2012

Our Board of Education approves the final calendar. It used to be in our teacher's contract that students started the Tuesday after Labor Day. I think we were one of the few districts in the state that still started that late. That was taken out of our contract during one of our negotiations and we have now started the week before Labor Day for about 9-10 years.

6. ravinraven

ravinraven Companion

Aug 8, 2012

Growing up in Ohio, we always started school the last week of August at the urban private schools I attended, but some rural counties push back that date to after Labor day because of county fairs. In Virginia, they started later, probably because of the heat.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2012

MI used to start before labor day...then went to having the friday before labor day off...then they moved to after labor day because it is really a tourist state. They now do hours in MI, not days. When budgets were so bad some schools wanted to move to 4 days to save money. They now have required hours and to get them in however you choose to do so.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2012

It was always pretty stupid to start on a Monday and have a long first weekend. Although, as a student I never minded it :whistle:

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2012

Wisconsin law states schools cannot begin before September 1st. There is not a law for ending date.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2012

I thought it was dumb start school...have 4 days off then back again... It really stunk when we played sports or in band because there were games and practices...

It was tough when I did student teaching in K...It was like restarting again...luckily we only had a couple clingy ones again!!! UGH!!!

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 9, 2012

We start early because we can have a lot of snow days, which we make up at the end of the school year. Year before last we had more than 20 days missed. We started the first of August, we got outthe second wee of June. Longest. Year. Ever. Last year we missed two days and were out of school on May 11th.

12. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Aug 9, 2012

Two words - state law.

13. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 10, 2012

In Texas public schools are NOT allowed to start before the last Monday in August. Can you guess when the first day of school is? And we go into the beginning of June.

14. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 10, 2012

Our state decides how many days that they want for professional development as well as student contact. Then, each school district adds (or maintains) to the minimum required days. As to start and end dates, that is determined through a committee composed of teachers, administration, school board members, and parents. Once the calendar has been created, a draft is sent out for opinions. Then, it is OK'd by the school board. The reality is sports play a huge role in the development. State tournaments, semester endings, and such affect when some vacations or breaks are made. Our calendar includes many additional days for (snow storm) cancellations, extra professional development, and student contact days. We end up starting the 3rd week of August and (hopefully) ending the last week of May. Again, that is dependent on the holidays, professional development days, and (holiday) breaks.