Schools holidays in US ?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LilyGMG, Jul 29, 2013.

1. LilyGMG

LilyGMG Rookie

Jul 29, 2013

Hi,

I'm from France (i introduced myself in Introduction thread) and i would like to know how school holidays work in US system ? How many days have you ? Is it the same for all US states ?

(sorry for my english language! I work hard but i'm not fluent yet :p)

Have a nice day !

3. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jul 29, 2013

It's not the same for all districts, let alone all states, but probably similar. My district has 12 days it considers real holidays and another 17 days that students are given off from school (winter break/spring break/teacher work days). So, from Sep-mid June, students get a total of 29 days off. Teachers have off 23 of those days.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2013

Schools don't even start at the same time in the states. I know my SIL in Florida starts in like a week or 2 and here we start after Labor day.

Some area do more with Jewish holidays and other holidays then some regions. I think it all depends on the culture of the school student body make up..

5. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 29, 2013

In the United States, each state has its own Department of Education, and within each state, there are districts or county Boards of Education. So each district can have different holidays.

I think MOST United States schools have certain days off because they are considered NATIONAL holidays: Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas, for example.

In my county, our contracts are for 200 days and the students must be in the classroom 180 days. So 20 teacher days are for classroom preparation, faculty senate meetings, and staff development.

In my county, we are off June and July for Summer break, the whole week of Thanksgiving for Fall break, about 10 days in late December/early January for Winter break, and a week in March for Spring break.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2013

queenie...
    Our state has how many hours..so however you get the time in...some schools extended their days by 20mins. The school I did this started after Labor day (now state law) and ends before Memorial Day (unless unforeseen make up days like weather).
    They only had Thurs & Friday of Thanksgiving off, but do have a long weekend in February (they figure coldest month so they can turn temp down for a long weekend to save some money.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2013

In my state, we observe most of the national holidays: Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Year's Day (though we call it "Winter Break"), Martin Luther King, Jr's Day, Presidents' Day, and Memorial Day. We also have "Spring Break", which occurs during Easter. Several of the holidays allow us to be off from school for more than one day (Thanksgiving, Winter Break, Spring Break). Furthermore, my state observes an additional holiday celebrating our state's statehood.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 29, 2013

It varies by school district. Here is what it looks like in my district this year. (It might be different next year!)
    • professional development for teachers begins July 29
    • opening day for all staff Aug. 5
    • student return Aug. 6
    • off Labor Day in September
    • off first week of October for fall break
    • off Wednesday to Friday on Thanksgiving week in November
    • off election Tuesday in November
    • off last two weeks of December for Christmas break
    • off for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day in January
    • off one day in March (not sure why)
    • off first day in April for spring break, although we use these days to make up snow days
    • school ends second week of May (ending day varies depending on make-up snow days) Our earliest release date was May 11. The latest was June 11.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2013

Some districts have unusual days off. My district gives everyone a day off in February for "Rodeo Day". Our county has lots of ranch lands and cowboys (and lots of rodeos!)

10. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 29, 2013

Awesome! What state is this in? I am in California and I think we have like 175 students days and 176 teacher days.

11. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Jul 29, 2013

By holidays this person probably just means summer and days off. I am from England and we call it the summer holidays instead of summer break etc.

In the UK we had 6 weeks break in the summer and more time off at christmas, easter. We also had two full weeks for half-term breaks. It probably averaged out about the same amount of time off as here in the USA.

Here in Ohio the summer breaks are a little different but they are all around the same time - from June to August or September. I am hoping that this never changes as I like going back to England to see my family in the summer :)

12. LilyGMG

LilyGMG Rookie

Jul 29, 2013

Thank you for all this informations. :)
    As teacherguy111 say, i speak especially about summer and days off. In France we have "summer holiday" too.
    In US It seems it's very very different between states, districts and sort of schools.

If i understand, total days off is around 8 weeks in all a year, with 4 in summer break ?

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2013

No, I don't think that's true in most places. If anything, it's the other way around.

In my district, we get about two and a half months off in the summer. During the school year, we probably get between 4-5 weeks off if you add up all the breaks.

14. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Jul 29, 2013

This is the common trend with schools here in USA.

15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 29, 2013

My friend gets a week off for the county fair in her district (very rural). It always makes me laugh!

16. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2013

Different everywhere! We are contracted for 196 days, six of which are paid holidays. Students go 180 days.

Lets see, we get:
    - Labor Day
    - Yom Kippur
    - Veteran's Day
    - three days at Thanksgiving
    - two weeks around Christmas/New Year's
    - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
    - President's Day
    - one week for Spring Break
    - Good Friday
    - Memorial Day
    - plus 12 early release days

Huh. We used to get a day off for Ramadan, but that isn't on there this year.