school year calendars

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rabbitt, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2014

Do you as teachers/union have any say in your school year calendars? We do not yet every year our union sends a friendly letter with suggestions. The suggestions are never used. As many of you know, my district runs a tight Labor Day to mid-May school calendar...no breaks.

This year they may have decided to consider our suggestions! A Google form/survey went out to all parents and teachers. It basically asked if there would be support for:
    2 school days off mid-October
    extending winter break from 6 school days to 8
    5 school days off last week of February (SPRING BREAK!)
    2 school days off at Easter
    Last day of school around May 31 each year

I am not sure how it will fly but I am ecstatic that it is even being considered.

3. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Mar 2, 2014

This past year, 2 calendars were put on the website for public consideration and vote. Apparently 90% voted for changes, which were implemented this year (things like longer winter break, early release days on Fridays instead of the traditional thursdays, etc). So, yes, but anyone has a say, not just teachers (non union-state :) )

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 2, 2014

We get to vote, but the calendar always seems to be the one the majority voted against.

5. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Mar 2, 2014

Yeah, that it sounds similar to where I am. I think they do sometimes ask for our opinion, but I don't think it is guaranteed that it will be followed, lol

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 2, 2014

Congratulations! Our calendar is planned by a committee of admin, parents, and teachers, though it is heavily guided by the superintendent.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 2, 2014

They just sent out the calendar for next year to us. We didn't get any input, but I didn't see any glaring problems with it.

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 2, 2014

This is one area that I have learned teachers have a minimal amount of input in public schools. I would put your 2 cents in when you can, but realize the higher ups eventually make the decisions on school calendar.

9. queenie

queenie Groupie

Mar 3, 2014

In our district three calendars for the next school year are posted in February and employees vote.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2014

In the 8 years I've worked for my district we've never been asked for input on the calendar. It's a decent calendar, though, so I'm not sure that I'd have any suggestions to make. The only thing I'd change is making the end of the first semester happen before winter break. As it is now, the end of the first semester happens two weeks after students return from winter break. It's sort of a hassle.

11. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Mar 3, 2014

I believe our calendar is decided by the board without union input. It really makes no difference to me as long as the total amount of work days don't change and we get all of July and August off. Other than that, I'm fine with however they want it.

12. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Mar 3, 2014

If I wanted a say in next school years calender, I would have to go to school board meetings but I don't because it generally follows the same format every year.

13. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 3, 2014

:haha:

Right!?

85% of stakeholders voted for a Fall Break.

Naturally, we didn't get one.