School Wide Discipline System

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sheila, May 28, 2011.

1. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

May 28, 2011

My School Based Leadership Team is looking to implement a school wide discipline system next year. It would be the same system used in a kindergarten class as a fifth grade class.

Does anyone's school do this? If so, what is it like?

Pro and Cons please.

3. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 28, 2011

Don't understand...... Are you saying kindergarten kids will will have the same "discipline system" as 5th graders..... and 5th graders will be disciplined the same as the little guys? .... :confused::confused:

4. cmw

cmw Groupie

May 28, 2011

I've worked at 2 schools who used PBIS. It is a great system IF it is set up right & IF everyone is one board. A set of 3-5 overarching rules are set. Then the rules are defined for each area (classrooms, bus, hallways, lunch room, office, etc...). There is also a school wide reward system linked to following the rules.

At 1 school is went horrible b-c the principal did not believe in it. There was a lack of support & teachers didn't know how to implement it. I was on the start up team for it and was so excited for the program. However I quit the team mid year (along with almost the rest of the team) b-c I was beating my head up against a wall.

At a 2nd school is goes better, except not all teachers seems to be on board. The new teachers especially don't know how it works. Time needs to be spent each year reviewing the basic tenements of the system (with staff & students). I feel often teachers don't reward students for good behavior. They just expect them to do the right thing. :2cents: PBIS is based on the reinforcement factor. Without it, it falls apart. :D

5. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

May 29, 2011

We use PBS as well. It really takes a whole-school buy-in for it to work. I think all teachers in the school should be trained in it.

6. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 29, 2011

My superintendent has talked several times about school wide discipline programs. He's said that they've implemented a few but what it always comes down to (and always will) is the implementation by the individual teachers. I've thought it was a good idea a couple of times, to have the expectations be the same from year to year, but I completely understand what he's saying. In-order to really get a program to work, you have to have everyone buy in and have the same expectations throughout.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 29, 2011

We have one and I don't like it. It's based on "redirects." So basically, a "redirect" is any time you tell a kid to stop doing something or get on task, etc.

All students have clips under the heading "I am being a positive community member."
    1st redirect: Warning, "this is your first redirect". The student moves his/her clip to the "1st redirect" section. This heading says "I need to think about my actions and what I can change so that I can be a positive community member."
    2nd redirect: 5-10 minutes (up to teacher) missed recess. Student moves their clip to the "2nd redirect" section.
    3rd redirect: Office.

I think it just goes from 0-60 way to fast. So you might send a kid to the office simply because they were chatting to a neighbor 3 times or had to be reminded to be on task 3 times. In my opinion, that isn't office worthy behavior. On the other hand, if a student does something more serious like bullying, we can't do anything except warn them unless it happens multiple times per day. Since it takes so little to get kids in the office, we have kids in there ALL the time.

We have "character cards" that we give out for good behavior. Kids take the card to the office and get a small prize. At the end of the week, some cards are pulled out for a bigger prize. This part, I like.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 29, 2011

We have one that we utilize throughout our district (K-8). I love that the expectations are the same everywhere. I know that if my students are not acting appropriately in special classes and gym. Other teachers know what the expectations for hallway behavior.

I agree, everyone does need to be on board.

9. janney

janney Cohort

May 29, 2011

We have one that is a chart that lists all students. There are three different levels of offenses with the top level being offenses that you can send students to the office for. The offenses are different numbers and the teacher records it on the chart. At the end of the week they get a behavior grade sent home based on how many marks they get. The chart goes with the class everywhere they go so any teacher can write on it.

I like it because it's the same system for every grade so students and parents don't have to learn something new every year. Also, each grade level and teacher is allowed to create their own consequences for misbehavior so we can tailor it to our class. A lot of the teacher's in the younger grades also send home a daily behavior grade rather than waiting until the end of the week.