School uniforms

Discussion in 'General Education' started by deserttrumpet, Jul 19, 2007.

1. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

School uniforms :p

Alright, here I go, opening a can of worms: school uniforms. I am personally for uniforms or very strict dress code. Currently my school does not have uniforms and their dress code is lax. I would like to propose that my school switches to uniforms, however, I would like to have a solid case before I do that. Things that would be handy would include:
    - statistics on uniforms (grades, behavior, unity, community, test scores, etc).
    - costs, funding, possible grants, warehouses (this is important considering the school district is poor and a penny pincher)
    - info from other schools that do have uniforms to include policies
    - ways to handle opposition.
    - opinions and ideas on school uniforms

:thanks:

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2007

It'll probably be a looong process. Can you present something to your school board with your findings and then get their support?

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 19, 2007

I don't know where to find "official" statistical information to back up your stance on uniforms, but I agree with you! As the parent of a former uniform-wearing student, I can honestly say that it is MUCH cheaper to send the student to school in uniforms! It is also much easier to get them dressed each morning, because there is no angst over what to wear. As an observer in many elementary schools, I can also say, based upon my own observations and nothing else, that schools in which the students wear uniforms tend to have far fewer disciplinary problems. It is as if the uniform itself helps the student to get into the proper mindset (for behavior). I wish you luck!

5. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

I am so glad this topic came up. I have thought for a long time, way before I even became a teacher, that schools should have some kind of uniform or dress code. If kids all had to wear the same thing then there wouldn't be any fighting because so and so has a better shirt coat than me. Also, I bet uniforms would be a lot cheaper than a lot of clothes that they buy now.

Mldouglas

6. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 20, 2007

My school is a uniform school and I love it. Have you done a search to find out about test scores, behavior, etc.? Our prinicpal implemented it in our school and every 2 years we send out a survey to the parents about changes, whether they like it and so on. We just sent it out this year and will be keeping it with only a few minor changes.

7. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Jul 20, 2007

Here's a link from my district. One of our many, many schools tried uniforms. I wish my school would follow suit. We put out a survey to parents at the end of the year about uniforms, I guess the response was not positive from he parents, although many of the teachers would love to get our kids in uniforms.

https://www.putnamcityschools.org/pageid1849.html

8. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

Thanks! I know there will probably be resistance at first, but I think it would be a great change. I know if I were in high school I wouldn't want uniforms - funny how my perspective changed now that I teach...

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2007

10. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Jul 20, 2007

Our school just passed a dress code policy to be implemented beginning in September. It consists of plain navy bottoms and plain white tops. Crested uniform wear is available for those who wish to purchase these items.

It was a long process; 75% of the school population (parents) had to be in favour of the change, which obviously they were. However, there was a small number who did not favour the idea of a uniform and at the end of the school year were still expressing their displeasure.

All of my children wore uniforms in high school and I LOVED it! :love: There were no hassles about what they were wearing, either the "I don't have anything to wear" cry from them, or the "OMG, you can't seriously think that's appropriate for school!" from me - not to mention the fact that it was oodles cheaper to clothe them for the four years of high school!

I'm looking forward to seeing the schoolyard on the first day of school in September! I'll let you know if it makes a difference in the attitudes and study habits.

11. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 20, 2007

I would have to say that coming from an area where schools have such a mixed SES that when the one I worked at switched to standardized dress it did not go smoothly!!

All shirts must have collars and be solid color, no emblem larger than a dime, must be tucked in.
    Dresses must have collar, be solid color, no emblem larger than dime and must come to no more than 1" above knees, must have attached shorts/pants or solid color, or be worn with solid nuetral color tights/hose
    Pants/shorts/skirts must be either brown, black, navy blue, khaki, or denim, solid color, no emblem larger than credit/playing card, must be worn w/ belt if belt loops are present, belt must be solid color (belt does not apply to pre-k-1st). Shorts/Skirts must come no more than 1" above knee. (skirt follows drees rule about leg coverings)

Socks/hose/tights must be worn and must be solid neutral color, or same color as top/bottom garment.

Shoes must be either black, brown, or plainly colored athletic style (no more than 2 colors).

Jackets worn outside may be any style, jackets worn inside must be solid color. (Sweaters apply in this category)

So guess what happened when school started, the kids who had less money were wearing clothes from mega stores that we all love, (that was even if they could afford new clothes as this was a new policy)

And everyone else wore "name brand" items.

It actually made the income gap more defined and easily identified.

It only lasted one year!!!! It has since relaxed, and the policy grows more strict through the progression of Elem, jr high, high school.

If uniforms or what is sometimes referred to as standardized dress is implemeted please look carefully at the realities.

I know that uniforms that are ordered through companies can alleviate much of the distress, but as far as the basic colors dress code trust me KIDS know who is wearing the kind from the mall and who is not, the materials are different and the styles are different.

My theory is all or nothing, and in public schools if you go all- be prepared to give assistance to low SES households for uniforms!!!

Sorry for the rant, and I hope there has been no offense taken.

12. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

Lots of great points. Economic diversity would be something I would hope to "cure."

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2007

well come on over to the "NCLB" thread! I think economic diversity has a lot to do with low test scores, government interventions, and teacher apathy.

If you got a cure in mind, I'd love to hear it.

14. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2007

My school has a standardized dress policy. It was just started this past year and will continue next year. Every morning on the announcements, our school counselor reminds students about the uniform policy and says, "LOOK SHARP, BE SHARP." I think that's a great way to think. My kids feel good in their standardized dress. They look nice too. I don't think that the other kids at our school really care who is wearing brand name khaki pants and who is not. As a gift for my students at the end of the year, I ordered them polo shirts with the school logo on them. That was a big hit. (I only have five students and have a friend with a monogram company...)

I think that dress codes help with discipline issues. It looks nice to walk into a classroom and see kids with collared shirts that are tucked in, with belts, and khaki pants. We do have a few kids who "abuse" the policy and end up coming with "cut off" khakis, or "really short" khaki skorts/skirts. But, all in all, I'd say we have had a lot of success with the program. They need to do a better job of notifying parents who are not complying with the policy. I would prefer that they implement an all or nothing policy, but I am told this is not possible for public schools? We have parents who can sign an "opt out" form and I don't like that. I don't understand why a parent would "opt out" of a program that is being implemented solely to help their child focus on academics in school. Anyways, I think they are great and I love the way the kids look and feel in them.

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2007

I had a kindergartener who's parents refused to sign uniform policy. Every Friday, I lined up outside, took attendance and prayed we would win best class in line. (at least 15 kids, quiet and straight line, etc.) But as soon as he walked on the playground, we were automatically disqualfied, because he was never in uniform!!

This family had 4 kids, and they seemed to be ok, economically. I think the mom just resented being told what to do. She told me several times she felt her kid was being discriminated against. (Mind you, we were of the same race :confused: ) She ended up pulling him out of my class, and all her kids out of the school shortly before Christmas. I think she just had issues with the school in general.

16. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2007

I even have special needs students with sensory issues who still follow the uniform policy. I have one little boy who can't stand the regular material of polo shirts so his mom gets him the kind that are cotton and soft (similar to the style sold at old navy and target). I don't see why everyone can't just roll with it. The parents in our school (some of them) have claimed that they don't have the money to purchase the uniforms, yet we have a program where any parent can request two pairs of pants and four shirts for their child enrolled at our school. So, for a parent to refuse because they think that money is an issue.... I guess they don't want to ask for help? Also, we have one mom who thinks it takes away from her child's individuality....?? It's school. They can still be individuals. They just look nice and don't focus on clothing.

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2007

yeah, I learned children with autism are really sensitive about clothing.

The other mom, well...you know that is her hang up! She wants her kid's individuality because SHE wants to feel special.

I had a mom volunteer in my Head Start class. I asked her to fill out a form with the roster from class, and also put names on the tooth brushes. Later, I discovered every time she wrote her daughter's name, she put a heart on top of the lower case "i". Well, I admit, I did that, at home, and up until my daughter was in college...on her birthday checks!

I carefully confronted the mom. "You know, you are not putting a dot on the "I", and the computer can't read this when I send it to the office." She blushed, "Oh, I just always write her name like that, because, well you know...she is sooooo special!"

Uh, yeah...right! She was not Tinker Bell!

18. 2BCharged

2BCharged Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

The school I am at this is the first year we will do uniforms. I like the idea personally. There are 4 teachers where I teach and its half and half. We are a prodominately black school and and private Christian school, I feel it will keep out the "My clothes cost more then your clothes" (for those who can afford expensive clothes) comments. It will keep the girls form showing all their "tail." Even, at 3 and 4 yrs old I see more "PLUMBERS" than aliible bit. I even had one child tell another child "I don't want to see that." It was the other child's behind crack.

I say skirts/shorts to to and below the knee for girls, all chidren need to tuck in shirts (Polo style), wear belts, and either black sneakers or lofer type shoes. I say Polo style shirts because in the summer in the south those babies would pass out (although some you would not mind passing out :). ALL for uniforms! They will have one day to dress down--Friday, but no screened tees.

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2007

nice to meet you!

I like the idea of a dress down day. But you are right, must be clear policies, or no telling what they will come in wearing!

20. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

I love the idea of uniforms. I wore a uniform for twelve years, and as far as I can tell I haven't been emotionally scarred. At my school we were taught that our individuality comes from within, not from what we wear. I use the uniform issue as a journal entry for my class, and then we usually end up in a huge discussion. I'm pretty good at defending the positives of wearing a uniform, probably because I have personal experience. I also work at a low socio-economic school, and the cost would be a concern. I quickly learned that many times these families who claim that they can't afford schools supplies, dictionary, etc., manage to have money for four-wheelers, cars, video games, stereos, and whatever else they want. AS for name-brand uniforms, we never paid attention to that when I was in school, but maybe they do now. I guess a company could be used to avoid that problem. I think uniforms "evens-out" the playing field; makes the line between the haves and have-nots less severe. I don't think the schools in my area have ever considered uniforms as a possibility.

21. 2BCharged

2BCharged Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

Nice to meet you too. I saw where one school sells the tee shirts the kids can wear. So it is still like a uniform on dress down day but the teachers/principal can see that they are in tasteful attire.

22. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 25, 2007

Although I did not wear uniforms to school as an elementary/secondary student, I did wear a band uniform, with very strict rules regarding its components and the way they were to be kept/worn. With that as my own experience, I have observed at many uniformed and non-uniformed schools. I believe (have no proof) that students in uniform tend to have better behaviors. I have had current teachers agree with this, as well. I know that, when my daughter's school switched to uniforms, my budget got less strained, and our mornings got a LOT better -- no fights over what to wear! I also think that, in spite of the "brands" of some uniforms/shoes/etc., uniforms do a pretty good job of leveling the clothing field, thus easing the peer pressure on students from all socioeconomic levels. Engmom, there may be statistical evidence of some of this out there. Maybe you could approach your district board with the idea.