School Uniforms

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Bella2010, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2011

This just shocks me. I do not believe I have ever been around any schools that had a clean shaven rule. Again, to me this is the definition of a pointless rule. I asked the purpose of it is because I just don't understand it. I understand why some schools have uniform policies, I may not agree with it, but I understand it. I have no comprehension for the reasoning behind clean shaven requirements. That completely baffles me. To me, that is the time of rule that is simply done so that those in charge can enforce more power on those below them. I am literally having to keep picking my jaw up because I just keep stuttering in astonishment.

2. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 17, 2011

clean shaven=well taken care of= shower= care about appearance= get more respect from others= a job..? maybe?!

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2011

The whole idea of there being a "proper" hair cut irks me. I'm mostly pretty traditional in my appearance (most of my wardrobe is Ralph Lauren), but I think people are generally much too judgmental about how other people look.

I do love my nail polish, and I wear whatever color I want, when I want. If someone wants to judge me because I'm wearing black or yellow or aqua blue nail polish, let them.

Same with hair: if a man wants to wear his hair long, it isn't anybody's business, and long hair etc has nothing to do with good hygiene.

If I had a kid who wanted to dye their hair blue or whatever, I'd support them in it. It hurts nothing, and it's reversible.

Obviously, I'm not talking about the military or similar here--you sign up for it and accept the whole military lifestyle.

I dislike uniforms and overly restrictive, nonsensical dress codes, but if the rules are in place at a school, not following them does nobody any good.

4. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2011

In all of the schools that I have taught at neither males nor females are allowed to dye their hair any color. My oldest daughter would highlight her hair during the summer and then have to color it back for the first day of school. She knew that she would have to redo it to go back to school and she paid for both herself. She knew that she had to follow the uniform policy if she were going attend the school that she did and she accepted to rules. These policies extended to every aspect--including school dances and out of school functions. Yes, their prom dresses could not be reveling and had to cover the stomach and the majority of the back or they would be asked to change into a spare school uniform. They (both my son's all boys school and my daughter's all girls school) were responsible for making sure that any out of school guests were properly dressed.

5. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2011

No highlights seems really harsh. I'd have happily disregarded those rules, for sure. Ive had grey/white hairs in the front since I was a teen and I've usually covered those up. I don't care now, and actually don't have more than I had then, but someone arbitrarily telling me I can't cover up unwanted silver hair? No thanks.

I was teased and bullied for enough other crap without it for "grandma" hair too.

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2011

We knew the rules and so did she before we sent her to the school. I had no problem with the rules especially since I paid $10,000 a year for them to attend school. All that I am saying is that uniforms and school rules are not bad--some people are willing to accept the limits and some are not. I loved my children wearing uniforms and they learned that sometimes you have to follow rules.

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2011

Out of all the arguments for uniforms or other policies, the one I don't get is " learning to follow rules."

Am I alone in always having various rules to follow in pretty much anything I've ever done in life? I suppose my having always had a job since I was 15 helped, but I can't think of any instance where a general learning to follow rules was helpful; usually there are clear reasons. There are all sorts of reasons that can be argued for uniforms, I just question that this is really one of them.

(not tryi g to nitpick your post chemteach! Ive heard or seen this argument lots of places).

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2011

I guess what I mean by following the rules is that sometimes you have to wear what your boss says to wear. When my husband started working for the company he works for he had to wear a button down shirt and tie everyday. It was very unpractical for the job that he was doing (network computer--climbing in attics sometimes and running cable in buildings) but this is what his boss wanted them to wear. When my husband was promoted, one of the first things he did was to change the dress code in his section to a polo (preferably a company polo) and dress pants. This was more practical for the job and more comfortable to my husband. He is now the boss and was able to change the rules that he did not like. He still has to wear the occasional tie and suit for a meeting, etc. but most of the time he wears a company logo polo and khaki, black, or blue Dockers. He likes Dockers but they do not last long--they tend to fade quickly so I buy plenty when I see them on sale and rotate out his stock for work so that he always looks nice. My point in this post is that sometimes you have to wear something because someone else says that you have to dress like this and you are powerless to change unless you become the one in power. High School seems like a good place to me to learn this lesson and there is no reason that a high school student does not need to look neat and groomed.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2011

Things that make you go "hmmm."

I may not agree with all the rules, but I abide by them. If a rule or policy exists, I respect it as something I must follow. That's life.

10. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2011

So I am not cleanly shaven. That means that I don't take care of my appearance, I don't shower, and I don't get respect because of it?
    I understand that some people have an opinion that facial hair does not look as good, but that is someones opinion. My opinion is that facial hair can make a guy look older or more sophisticated. Again that is my opinion. I just wish someone could tell me how being cleanly shaven makes you a better student.
    Facial hair has nothing to do with respect.

11. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 18, 2011

Facial hair or no facial hair it's about the overall appearance. Facial hair that is neatly kept can do wonders and make a guy appear more sophisticated. On the other hand, unkept facial hair can damage a guy's image.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 18, 2011

My husband has a full beard and long hair he wears in a pony tail and he is one of the most effective teachers I know. Sometimes he forgets to trim his beard. His students still respect him. So his image is that he's a bit of a hippie and an artist cares about other things more than his personal appearance. So what? He has positive relationships with his students and knows his subject matter better than most teachers.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2011

I think the point is essentially that if a school requires uniforms, all parties subject to that requirement should adhere. In my opinion, it is awfully silly that the students and parents should engage in such an uprising. It sounds to me that the requirement for uniforms must be rather new, or else why would there be such an uprising?

Likewise, if a school requires that men are clean-shaven, then the men should adhere to that policy. Every school has slightly different requirements, and entering into an employment with any district demands submission to its rules and requirements. It's quite simple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.