School Uniforms

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Bella2010, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 15, 2011

Hi All,

We're coming up on the fourth year of uniforms at my school. The whining and complaining from parents and students is beyond ridiculous. Kids are threatening to "sit out" of school next year because, in their words, "we won't be there, so the school's funding will go down. They'll have to listen to us. Home schooling isn't illegal in Oklahoma. We won't go back to school until they do away with uniforms." Parents are threatening to vote against an upcoming bond issue that would help finance a new grade center. Seriously, people? :rolleyes:

Beth

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 15, 2011

I've never seen a uniform based school outside of hollywood so take my input with that in mind.

The threats are a little silly, particularly on part of the students but if there is that much significant outcry, it might be time to switch. People usually don't protest quite that loudly in groups like that unless they are seriously annoyed. It's too much trouble otherwise.

4. gamerTeacher

gamerTeacher Rookie

Jun 15, 2011

I suppose that if they feel that strongly (parents included), you should change the policy. It is really extreme, though. My students have been wearing uniforms since middle school and don't want it to change ( though everyone here has uniforms)

Do they know you can wear uniforms to funerals, weddings, ceremonies, AND graduations? Plus, you save money, everyone looks good, and it trains them for the uniforms/ suits they will have to wear when older. (These are all arguments that I've heard for uniforms from my students- I'm indifferent towards them myself)

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 15, 2011

Hmm, I don't see what's so bad about uniforms. I attended 2 private schools from gr K-7 & I wore uniforms during gr 1-6. I didn't mind it at all. If I had to wear them at all, I think I wore them during the right time in my life...before the teen yrs came.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2011

Are you in a public, charter, or a private school?

7. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 15, 2011

I teach in a Catholic school, so of course, we wear uniforms. But the local public school district went to uniforms about 5 years ago. There hasn't been any outcry that I know of. Many of my friends teach in the district, and they have never mentioned anything.

I just can't imagine what the big deal is! Good luck.

8. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jun 15, 2011

We have a designated/strict dress code (short of calling it a uniform) that was implemented 3 years ago.

We had all kinds of people who threatened to sue, walk out, leave, move, etc. They all thought it was going to be "detramental to their children's education" because they weren't allowed to express their individuality. It continued to flare to threats of not having public support, kids would walk out, stage a protest, etc. It went on until the first week of school. Then after that hoopla died down, and the people who started the campaign against the dress code left, the schools actually started making fantastic gains in many academic and social areas.

As a mom, yeah, it's kind of a challenge to get the described wear my kids need to wear, but I'd rather my kids dress nice at school for their job (because it is their job in life right now) and then change into street clothes when they get home.

As a teacher, I LOVE that there are no social lines drawn in the sand. We have 2 dress down days when the kids can wear their street clothes--and they act like monkeys.

But then again, I come from the age of the 70s when we actually were expected to dress appropriately for leaving the house and school. :)

9. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2011

As a parent I loved uniforms. It is much cheaper. I used to see people (I worked at JC Penny in the children's department) spend hundreds of dollars on new clothes for back to school but with uniforms, you can get a few and wash as needed. I actually worked at a school where the teachers wore uniforms. I loved it--we could wear a polo shirt with the school logo and khaki, blue, or black pants or skirt. The school would buy 5 polo shirts for each teacher per school year. We had about 10 colors that we could choose from.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 15, 2011

I hate uniforms or any strict dress code. As a parent and a teacher. Hate, hate, hate them. All of the arguments for such have absolutely no basis in fact.

All kids are on the same economic playing field? No - at schools where a uniform, actual uniform from a designated vendor, is required, it is still obvious who has more money than the others. Shoes are more expensive, girls have Coach purses at an earlier age, jewelry, highlights, cars, etc. It is as though the really expensive items end up coming out when the kids are younger because they don't have the ability to show off their $80 jeans.

In schools where it is simply khaki pants and navy shirt - it is obvious who has Dickies or Walmart brand and who has the really expensive brands.

Cost savings - a big fat NOT for me. I spent a lot more having to buy certain colors and styles than I did shopping the deals throughout the year. It was especially noticable since my oldest went through elementary without uniforms but my youngest had them. I spent over twice as much dressing the youngest than I did the oldest. And we didn't hae the option of using hand-me-downs to boot :(

What really upset me was the crap we were told about improving academic performance. Not once could anyone cite a true scientific study where uniforms made a significant difference in academic performance. When I was getting my Master's I did a research paper on the topic. I only found one sound study where the researchers had a control group and looked at the single variable. In that study standardized test scores actually went down for the students wearing uniforms, but not significantly so.

All that being said - I think the threats are ridiculous. The board should listen to the opinions of the parents and take their feelings, especially if they are that strong, into consideration. But if the board feels just as strongly about their decision, the parents can go elsewhere. If someone switches to homeschooling just because of uniforms, they'll be back within a year's time.

In my district the parents voted overwhemingly FOR uniforms. I wasn't one of them ;)

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 15, 2011

My daughter goes to a private school, so of course she wears a uniform. I love it, and I do find that it does save me money. We can't just buy from any store, though. We have to buy through their supplier. While at first it's pricey, in the end, it's cheaper because the colors never fade and the clothes don't fall apart. The only time I ever have to buy her new clothes is when she outgrows the others. The school also has a yearly uniform exchange for just that purpose, so in the end, I save a great deal of money.

In my former district, in order for a school to go to a uniform, they had to survey the parents and 85% had to respond yes (not just of the people that bothered to respond, but 85% of the parents!) That was almost impossible to hit at the high school level, so it never happened, but the lower levels almost all had uniforms. This was in an urban/low income area.

12. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Jun 15, 2011

I think they're bad

Here's my opinion--first of all, the threats are a little silly, but the school should listen. If their reasons are valid, then they may have a point.

I worked at a Catholic school where everyone wore uniforms. I spent all my time patrolling how long my girls skirts were. They'd be checked, and as soon as the teacher left, they'd roll their skirts back up. And all the boys would stand at the base of the stairs and watch the girls walk up. I spent far too much time telling girls to pull down their skirs, boys to tuck in their shirts, etc. It was a waste of my time.

If I had been asked to wear uniforms when I was a kid, I would have been mortified. As a girl who was on the heavier side, I would have been mortified if I had had to wear a pleated skirt and knee socks. I have very heavy legs, and would have been uncomfortable and self-conscious all day. I also am very chesty, and polo shirts and button front shirts are not comfortable, no matter how many sizes too big they are. As for khaki pants, again, being heavier on the bottom means wearing darker colors and longer lines to camoflauge, and I would have been miserable.

Socioeconomic inequality exists everywhere, and it will show up, regardless of what you make the kids wear. Part of growing up is the ability to make choices for yourself--including what you wear. There should be limits, but at the same time, making someone who hates polo shirts wear them because they will fit in is ridiculous.

13. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2011

You like wearing a school shirt every single day. I wear a school shirt once a week. The rest of the days I wear what I want to wear so I am confortable and I look good. If I am going out after work and I am wearing the school shirt that day, I will often bring a different shirt to change into so that I am not wearing a school shirt out in public.

14. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 15, 2011

oh wow....a LITTLE extreme? I think so.
    I just came from a school where the PARENTS voted in uniforms yet we had violations day after day after day BECAUSE there were no consequences.

Did it help with behavior? NOPE
    Not sure why the parents voted them in but whatever, I didn't care.

15. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2011

As for students wearing uniforms, I have never been a proponent of the idea. I do not believe it to be necessary. As others have said, who does and does not have money will show in one way or another, that is just a part of life and kids need that experience at some point in time.
    tch4ever- was it really that big of a deal that you needed to check the length of high school girl skirts? I would just look the other way and ignore it.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2011

Not me.

If there's a school policy, I enforce it. If I disagree with it, I speak to an administrator about my reasoning.

But the quickest way to become a joke with the kids-- and the administrators-- is to be that teacher who doesn't enforce school policies.

17. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2011

Students know which policies I enforce strongly and those that I do not. If I disagree with a school policy that I don't think would be changed, I deal with it my own way. If I think it could be changed by saying something, then I do.
    As for high school girls and skirts, seriously. As long as they aren't wearing something that is so short it is distracting, then so be it. Let them show off to the boys if that is what they want to do.

18. Born2beTeacher

Born2beTeacher Rookie

Jun 15, 2011

I work at a Catholic school where there is no dress code, but I know of other schools within our board that do have uniforms. I haven't heard of any dissatisfaction with the dress codes of other schools (though I guess if it was that much of an issue, the students could transfer elsewhere...)

What surprises me about your situation is that it is not just the students raising concerns about the dress codes- the parents are complaining as well. So perhaps revisiting the idea or uniforms might be a wise move- it doesn't mean the uniforms have to be scrapped, but maybe it's worth investigating why everyone seems so discontent and finding solutions that can keep the uniform policy intact

19. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2011

I do not have a problem wearing a school polo shirt everyday. They are more comfortable than anything else in my wardrobe. I do not go out much after work so there is no need to change.

20. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2011

:agreed: When you are hired you agree to follow the rules of your employer. In the business world, if my husband's employees do not rollow the rules of the company, they are fired. Why should we be any different in a school?

21. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 15, 2011

We're a public school. When the thought of uniforms first came up, some parents were for and some against. Our kids have to wear navy, white, brown, or khaki polo style or button-down shirts, and they must have a color. Pants have to be the same colors listed above, and they can be carpis, walking shorts, or slacks. The shirt has to be tucked in, and they have to wear a belt. Oh, they can't wear hoodies, there can't be an logo on their shirt that's larger than 1x1. So, a kid can't wear an Abercrombie and Fitch shirt because the shirt's logo is larger than that.

The parents are in a bigger uproar than usual because lots of kids were wearing khaki "jeans." They had outside pockets on the rear, a no-no, and brads on the pockets, which made them look like jeans. Now, sweaters and jackets worn inside the classroom can't have zippers. Yes, I agree this has gone too far. Maybe not the khaki jeans, but the no zippers thing??? My classroom is COLD. So, I've let my kids bring in their zip up hoodies and tuck the hoods in, with the permission of my P. So, any jacket or sweater worn in the classroom can't have a zipper.

IDK, I really don't have an opinion. I see both sides. I do know it's a really pain in the butt to police it. On a DAILY basis I have had somebody forget their belt and have to call home. "Tuck your shirt in. Tuck your shirt in." Was the most spoken sentence at my school last year.

Beth

22. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2011

Bella, that sounds like a serious pain. I don't think I could handle dealing with that. Oh my goodness a pocket on the outside, the horror. A zipper, that is beyond wrong. A hoodie to keep their ears warm on the way to school, disrespectful.
    Also the shirt tucked in, I would qualify for that dress code half of the time, or the belt.

As for when you are hired you agree to follow the rules of the employer. You agree because you have to to get the job, not because you agree with all the rules. Also, most all teahers and schools I have been around have heard the phrase "ask forgiveness, not permission." I was taught that phrase my first year of teaching, and have taught it to many others since. What the Principal doesn't know, won't hurt them. If they are small rules that you do not enforce, is it really that big of a deal? As I said before, I have rules that I take more seriously than others in my classroom, and then some that I do not. As long as my students understand those rules and we function well in my classroom, then all is well that ends well.

23. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 15, 2011

:eek:

Yes, I think it is a big deal.

24. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2011

I am talking mostly small rules here. Off the top of my head I can't come up with any major rules that I would completely ignore. Dress code is a touchy one, I have had some issues with it, but at the same time I don't like dealing with it everyday, so sometimes I act like I don't notice.

25. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 15, 2011

They're allowed to wear them to school, but they must be kept in their lockers with the exception of recess. By Christmas last year we were all SO sick of keeping up with them. You'd tell them to tuck their shirt in, they would comply, and 10 minutes later it was out again. If they were without a belt, they had to call home. Well, the parents would get mad, and if you didn't the P would get mad. So, it was the classic damned if you, and damned if you don't. Right, wrong, or indifferent towards the end of the year, some of us just made sure they LEFT our room with shirts tucked in.

Like I said, I don't really have a strong opinion. My basic opinion, though, is that there are lots of things in life you don't agree with; however, you have to do them for one reason or another. I don't view uniforms as any different. I don't think the kids would make quite as huge of a deal about them if the parents didn't. Our first year of wearing them students threatened to riot. :rolleyes: There were quite a few kids who transferred to surrounding districts.

Beth

26. old_School

old_School Rookie

Jun 15, 2011

I understand the parents point on this, their kids attend public school. So they expect their child to freely be aloud to wear what they please to a degree. A part of back to school joy for a kid is going shopping and picking out new cloths for the year.

Other issues related to this our fairly basic. One it cost more money for the parent to purchase two sets of clothing. Two its public school not private school. Three the parents feels its not their fult test scores are low hence why alot of schools converted too dress code uniform based school.

I know the arguments for uniforms. In some schools yes I think they work well. In others, its just plain dumb. Uniforms should be supported by both the parents and administration. Conformity works well in the United States Military, not children. Private schools our better schools because they have higher standards then public schools period. If a school wants to increase their schools test scores, try improving their staff and teaching curriculum.

Just my two cent on the issue. If my kid's school ever went to uniforms, I'd share the same views as a "sit out" as well and likely start home schooling my kids. As home schooling does offer better results anyway in most cases.

27. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Jun 15, 2011

Sometimes I think that a uniform would be a good idea - other times I remember that as a middle school/high school kid - I would have looked HORRIBLE with a tucked in shirt/belt thing! And I think it is unfair to make kids dress in a way that will make them feel uncomfortable/bad about themselves.

Also - if it is a public school, then the parents SHOULD have a voice. I wouldn't jump right in to that level of protesting - but maybe they have been trying to get the board to listen to them for awhile?

28. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2011

Most schools in the UK have uniforms. There are good and bad things about them. If the kids and parents buy into the idea then they can work but if they don't then it is a nighmare. At my school the uniform is hardly difficult to provide but we spend an inordinate amount of time chasing kids for infractions of the uniform and all the conflict that causes.

The other evening I was on gate duty (seeing the kids off the premises) with the Headteacher. He was getting stressed because householders around the schools had been complaining about the behaviour of our kids. It was nothing much just mostly snogging their boyfriends in the street. I suggested that he could cure the problem at a stroke by getting rid of the uniform. Then the neighbours would not know where to complain to and if they rang us we could always claim they were not ours!

29. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Jun 15, 2011

It was. We were required to check all of our students skirts at the Catholic school. I can't tell you how many pairs of pink thongs I saw that year because as soon as they sat down or stood up to fast . . . Even here, where we don't have a uniform, but we have a dress code, we have girls being sent home for skirts that are too short, but that is only some girls, and only some administrators catch them. And we're not talking short like just below the butt, we are clarified as too short here if it is more than an inch above the knee. I have 1 young lady who is 6 feet tall. When she buys a dress that fits her body, it is always too short by our standards because she is all leg. She keeps sweats in her locker for when they call her on it. And some times they do, and sometimes they dont'. I've seen them penalize her on Monday for a dress, and then when she wears the same one the next week, they say nothing.

30. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 15, 2011

So, what is the big deal about wearing uniforms rather than not being allowed to wear their own clothes which half the time can be questionable?

I'm so glad to see that some of you are just like me as far as the rules go! I do believe if you don't enforce the rules, you become the "joke", you become the "easy teacher", it shows disrespect towards your boss, coworkers and school and it makes everyone else's job hard. If you don't agree with the rules, don't work there and don't go to school there. EVERYONE has choices. There is open enrollment and if it's truly that bad, move. If there are excuses as to why one can't just not work there or move or switch schools then it really isn't that big of a deal.

31. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Jun 15, 2011

One of our other dress code things is that they are not allowed to wear strapless tops or tops with spaghetti straps. Even if they are wearing a jacket or sweater over it. The majority of my young ladies, and myself, wear tank tops under a cardigan. I have seen certain administrators come up to a young lady who is wearing a hoodie or a sweater buttoned up or zipped up and asked them to take it off to see if they are wearing a spaghetti strap tank. OUr cheerleaders are not allowed to wear their uniforms on game day because they are too revealing. But they were approved by teh school before they were ordered. And they look like the majority of cheerleader uniforms, and the girls all wear dance pants under them.

32. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 15, 2011

Okay, I changed my mind about this. There's a website, that's basically a gossiping, poop stirring, site. It has nothing to do with the school, it's a town thing where anybody can post. Now, somebody's started a thread about the new policies and the are blaming a certain school board member. They are saying it will be that particular member's fault that the bond issue isn't passed. It's really sad/stupid because this bond issue is for the kids to have a nicer school. Four of our six schools were built in the 70's with leaking roofs, heat and a/c issues, etc. Things I am sure aren't unusual to a lot of y'all. Things would be so much easier if they admitted uniforms were a bad idea! It would be easier for everybody!!! I would think it would be easier for the board and the members because they wouldn't have to deal with all the complaints. :rolleyes:

Beth

33. old_School

old_School Rookie

Jun 15, 2011

I dont think people have a issue following the rules but I do belive people should not have to leave/move just because the school adminstration. As stated above by others, the school should work with the parents ideas and highly consider their views. After all the parents sign our checks hence taxes. I hate to put it bluntly but its true, so we should in return respect the parent by hearing their voices.

34. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2011

:eek::dizzy:

35. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 15, 2011

Oh, geez. Now parents are wanting to contact the news and start a petition to remove this particular board member.

Beth

36. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2011

Police officers have some discretion over whether to enforce certain rules. They can typically let minor speeders go with a warning, for instance. I think teachers should be permitted similar leeway.

I'm pretty agnostic on uniforms -- I'm not really certain they do good, but don't think they generally do harm either.

On socioeconomic inequality, I think it would be nice if we could work on closing the gap between rich and poor as a society, rather than looking for ways to simply mask it.

37. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2011

Agreed! I often wear a camisole under my blouse or sweater because I am very modest. That seems like a horrible invasion of privacy to me!

(And we have a fairly strict dress code at our school--including no spaghetti straps or sleeveless tops of any kind, but don't consider what is under their shirt...)

38. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2011

Asking a girl to take off clothing is a (justified) law suit waiting to happen. If I were a parent of a girl told to take of a sweater to show spaghetti straps, I'd be livid and not stand for it.

I hate uniforms. We were required to wear school gym uniforms. The largest size didn't fit me well and it made a bad situation worse, so my solution was to not go to school rather than be the tall, fat girl in shorts so tight and short you could see my underwear if I bent over. Way to encourage physical fitness, school.

They let us wear sweat pants in the winter, so I ended up having to wear heavy sweatpants outside in the 90.degree weather too.

39. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2011

That is horrible. As long as they are covered up with a sweater or jacket or cardigan, something of the sort, what is the problem? I would tell the kid to refuse to take off the sweater, that is harrassment making a kid remove a piece of clothing like that.
    As for the comment about high school girls having to have skirts that go down to their knees, that is a joke. Extremely short skirts should be avoided, yes. But a nice dress or skirt that a little above the knee, come on, that could just be a nice piece of respectful clothing.

40. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2011

Agreed. Teacher discretion when it comes to certain rules is important to how one runs a classroom and instructs ones students.

41. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 15, 2011

Beth, your school's guidelines seem pretty ridiculous, especially for a public school. No zippers? Come on! Personally, as a student I wouldn't have minded a uniform. I've never been really into fashion so putting on the same thing every day without thinking about it would have been kind of nice- as long as it was comfortable. The outfit you describe though, is not going to be comfortable for the great majority of kids. I'm not officially "overweight" bmi wise, but I have a few extra pounds that I'm not comfortable with and working on losing. I know I would never be comfortable in a tucked in shirt with a belt- that calls way too much attention to my stomach. Only a stick thin person would feel comfortable in that- which isn't going to be a majority of your students.

As a teacher , I'm against uniorms. As many people here mentioned, you spend half your day enforcing stupid uniform violations (oh no- a skirt 2 inches above the knee!) Also, some students are really into expressing themselves through the way they dress. If they are "repressed" and not able to dress as they want to express themselves, they may act out in other much more serious ways. Someone mentioned the class difference thing as well- I agree that it does nothing to blur the lines between the "haves" and the "have nots." The "haves" are just going to buy even more expensive and ridiculous things to show off since they can't show off designer jeans. We had to do a debate on uniforms in my 8th grade social studies class. To this day, I still remember what one of the "popular" girls said in response to someone's argument that there would be less bullying if everyone looked the same. She said, "I would still find a way to make fun of people. If there was the smallest stain on their shirt, if they didn't have the right shoes on, if their hair didn't look good, if they looked fat in the uniform, whatever it was I would find it. We're still not all going to look the same." I think having uniforms calls even more attention to minor things (hairstyle, shoes, etc.) and makes more kids stand out.

Since this is a public school, I think parents have every right to be upset. If I was a parent at this school, I'd be upset, especially given how ridiculously strict those particular policies are. I had some friends that went to catholic school growing up and I know for a fact their uniform policies weren't that strict (no zippers, no jackets, etc.) If there is that big of an outcry, I think the district needs to take notice and think about if implementing the uniforms has really had the desired effect. I think that this point, if the district continues the policy, it's just to be stubborn and not cave to parent wishes (since the uniforms obviously aren't doing any good). This is not only really not the right thing to do, but also may effect them the next time they want a levy or something like that passed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.