School tomorrow- NOT nervous?!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by giraffe326, Aug 24, 2008.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2008

This seems strange to me, but I have absolutely no nerves about tomorrow (first day). It is only my second year. I am fully in "go to work tomorrow" mode. I already showered, dried and straightened my hair, ironed my clothes, got my lunch ready, etc...
    And, I am not the faintest bit nervous. :dunno:

Maybe it is because I am not ready :lol: I plan on getting to school by 6:00 and the bell rings at 8:30.

Is anyone else surprisingly calm?

3. kickatstars

kickatstars Rookie

Aug 24, 2008

Isn't it crazy? My first year, I kept waiting for the nerves to strike. I was more nervous about not being nervous than about school starting, meeting kids, parents, etc. I guess this just means we're pros now!

4. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2008

nope ------but I am student teaching so I expected to be nervous :eek:hahaha

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2008

I wasn't really nervous last year, either.

Maybe it's because I was never nervous as a student. School was always exciting to me. I do know that I am tired! Somehow, I woke up at 6:30 this morning and decided to stay up, even though I did not go to bed until 2:00. So, I am off to bed so I can wake up at 5:00!!

Good luck to all who start tomorrow!

6. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Aug 24, 2008

I'm a little bit nervous. Tomorrow is the first day of my first year, but I've spent a lot of time getting ready and tomorrow I'm just doing information cards and an ice breaker to get to know the kids. I'm hoping all goes well...

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 24, 2008

I'm not nervous yet. It's only 6:45 here, though, and I plan on working a bit more on my plans after we get back from dinner. I'm nervous I won't get the little things done in my room tomorrow that I NEED to get done, but I'm not too nervous about the kids.

8. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008

I started my second year last week. I, too, was not a bit nervous. And I didn't even know precisely which math classes I would be teaching until four working days before school started. Frankly, after four days of in-service, I was looking forward to being with the kids. Interestingly, I still don't know precisely which math classes I will be teaching (or for that matter whether one will be something besides math). They took my CAHSEE math kids away and put them in another class because they need to add additional math and science sections, one of which I will wind up with.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2008

I'm a little envious of you all!

Tomorrow is my first day and I'm starting to feel a little bit anxious. Usually I'm calm and steady, so I'm not sure what's up right now. I think I'm just starting to stress about how maybe I took on a little too much this year....We'll see!

:)

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008

I never get nervous. Even in high school sitting in class on the day of finals when I hadn't paid attention or studied all semester, I wouldn't be nervous.

Just resolved - like a kamikaze pilot ready to go down in flames.

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 24, 2008

I was very calm last year, and I began convincing myself that I was in the wrong... so don't do that! It's fine to not be nervous!! :)

I am a perfectionist, so normally I am very nervous! Tomorrow, for example, it's day five and I plan on getting to school super early. Well, maybe it's because I am now the team leader and I have something important to accomplish before school starts.

12. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Aug 24, 2008

Last year I was at a new school in a new town...I was nervous.
    The school doesn't do anything in the way of meet the teacher before the first day. This year it was much better...seeing former parents and kids along with the new ones.

13. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Aug 25, 2008

I'm envious of you folks! Today is the first day of my third year, and I'm so nervous I'm nauseous!

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2008

I never did get the slightest bit nervous.

Although, I can't say the same for a student body- a 1st grader puked in front of my door :eek:

15. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Aug 25, 2008

I only ever get nervous when I go back down to Kindergarten after a two year loop. I think the whole idea of going from the end of first grade back to the chaos of beginning Kindergarten is enough to rattle my nerves. It is the not knowing the kids and families, as well as knowing that they will not know how to do simple things like staying in their seats, not yelling Mrs. _____ every other second, and not knowing that picking their noses really is disgusting...these things make me a bit frightened. Once I get past the first two weeks or so I'm fine. I never get nervous for first grade :)

16. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2008

I can't claim no nervousness. I think each year I start the school year I get more nervous instead of less nervous. It also might be that by the time a full year is gone I just forget how nervous I was the year before.