School Supply Orders

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sophie1, Jan 1, 2009.

1. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jan 1, 2009

It's that time of year again, to think about next September. IF your school allows you to order supplies, what are some of your favorites?

3. Arky

Arky Comrade

Jan 1, 2009

Cardstock, I use it for so many things.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 1, 2009

I may be weird, but I love getting together my list of school supplies! I go through the entire School Specialty book. I love picking out just the right pens, erasers, etc! OK, I am weird...!

One trick I have been doing during the past few years is keeping a list taped to the pull out surface in my desk, and when I need something I don't have, or run out of something, I list it. It makes ordering a lot easier.

Something that annoys me is we never get a number for how much we can order. They just tell us, write it down, the super will look at it. Wait, if I'm only getting x amount, I'm not ordering certain other things! So I put the essentials at the top of the list, and stuff I could live without at the bottom, so hopefully that is what he cuts if necessary. I thought about asterisking some things, but I didn't want him to automatically cross stuff off! Some teachers at my school order a ton of stuff, down to the last pencil, but some of us (me included) order basic essentials. I do try to get one big ticket item a year.

5. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Jan 1, 2009

Pencils and gluesticks. We ask for things and then the principal's secretary decides if what you asked for was reasonable and to order it.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 2, 2009

I'm not even sure...This is my first year, so I just went overboard with the purchasing in the beginning. It will be interesting to really sit back and look at what I need for next year. The cool thing is that our principal (who is new this year) wants to eliminate teachers using their classroom money to buy supplies. He wants all of that to be taken care of by the district so that we can spend our money on classroom resources.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 2, 2009

Pigeon-that sounds funny...eliminate teachers...

When I first started, the teacher before me had done all the ordering...he was obsessed with certain items...I had 4 CASES of sticky notes (12 to a package, 12 pkgs in each case=576 notepads!) and 2 CASES of white out...that's it...

8. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2009

I tend to order the same things every year. I get a new set of Mr. Sketch stinky markers (for making charts and posters), a certain kind of mechanical pencil, flair felt-tip pens for grading, mars plastic erasers (for me, not the kids), construction paper, essay paper, large tag board for charts and posters, paper for my easel. I don't have to buy overhead pens anymore because I use a document camera. I've had to restrain myself. I go nuts for office supplies!

9. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2009

I have no clue what I'll be ordering, except for the chart paper with grids on it. I know I get less and less money each year because they keep adding in things that they used to pay for. First the district made us order scantron sheets with our money, then toner, there was also some other mystery expense on there last year. luckily I have pretty much everything I need. so the 150-200 that I have left should be enough.

10. Arky

Arky Comrade

Jan 2, 2009

I need to add a few things to my list.
    I love electric pencil sharpeners, especially for my area. I love white out tape and a box of labels as I put their name on a sheet at the beginning of the year and then lay the sheet on their desk. They peel off their name and put it on their supplies, packages of paper, notebooks, pocket folders, scissors, glue, etc. I buy the 80 labels per sheet.