school supply list vent

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pencil Monkey, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 18, 2008

I went to the school yesterday because they asked me to move my stuff out of the way of some construction that is going on. I brought a school supply list with me that I wanted distributed in case any parents start dropping by. Well the secretary tells me that she already gave one out. :eek:I know in the scheme of things it really isn't a big deal. But this supply list that they handed out is ridiculous!

Thin markers, fat markers, colored pencils, and crayons....isn't that overkill? I could go on.... I don't want the kids to bring that much stuff, I don't have anywhere to put it all! And I would feel bad putting out a different list when some of the parents may have already bought this list.

ugh. What would you do?

3. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 18, 2008

Wow, that stinks. We make our own list at the end of the year and turn it in to the secretary who makes a master list for everyone. There's probably not much you can do at this point, unless you create a Must Have list to explain to parents which items are really necessary and which ones their kids might just enjoy having, such as extra art supplies. As a parent, I know I don't like to buy things my kid doesn't really need, and it's frustrating to spend a lot of money and then later realize your child didn't need that much stuff. BUT I would never cause trouble at school over a supply list...I'll pick much bigger stuff to gripe to the admin about. HA HA HA

4. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 18, 2008

When we have meet the teacher night I always give out my own list. I let them know that they can keep all of the other stuff,not on my list, at home. My list is usually shorter anyway.

5. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 18, 2008

Oh, that's frustrating... I agree with Mrs. Mom that you'll just have to let this one go, as there is always bigger stuff to gripe about :) Just let the children know that some of the supplies are meant for home use...that should cut down on the amount of supplies in your classroom and they'll still be able to use them on schoolwork/homework.

6. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jul 18, 2008

That does stink! I have never had the opportunity to make my own supply list-it's always a team thing or if I'm new to the school, obviously they already have one so I know how it is! I end up making a "wish list" for parents with the items that I want/need that were not on the "supply list". Hopefully, I won't need as much this year for 6th- just pencils, paper, notebooks, colored pencils, etc.

7. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2008

Luckily, we get input at the end of every year to update our supply list. Is there any way you could suggest that for next year?

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2008

That stinks! But I agree with the other posters...and maybe at your Back to School night you can present a "wish list" type of thing for your parents...

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2008

EEEK- don't know why the secretary would do that unless your school as 'Grade level lists'... Could you get your class list of addresses and send YOUR list home? Include a note that you understand some families may have shopped using a different list and you will fill in for those students with supplies that you have on hand in the classroom as needed.

10. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 20, 2008

That sounds just like my secretary (except she has a horrible attitude and would probably laugh at me for being concerned about the list!). Luckily my principal is allowing us to make our own lists this year so we don't get things like markers, especially since they're banned from my school! (that happened last year and my students were mad about the contradiction!)

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 20, 2008

Be glad you get any say. Our district has a city-wide list that must be used. It is depressing. You really have no say, and you end up getting things you don't need -- or the students are given no direction. For example "pencils" doesn't say how many they should bring. Many parents send in one pack of 12, and think that is fine for the entire year. It says "folders" but it doesn't say how many. It says "composition book" which implies one, but you may need more. It says "crayons" but it doesn't say 24-count, or whatever other size you may need. It says "loose leaf paper" but it doesn't say "wide ruled" so I end up with a box of college-ruled that we can't use because it is too small for the kids to write on.

Kindergarten
    white glue or stick
    crayons
    pencils
    scissors
    pocket folders
    composition notebook (hardback black and white)
    towel/rest mat
    tissues
    supply box
    dry erase markers

Grade One
    white glue or stick
    crayons
    pencils
    scissors
    pocket folders
    tissues
    supply box
    ruler: cm. and inches
    dry erase markers

Grade Two
    white glue or stick
    crayons
    pencils
    scissors
    pocket folders
    loose leaf paper
    tissues
    supply box
    dry erase markers

Grade Three
    white glue or stick
    crayons/colored pencils
    pencils
    scissors
    pocket folders
    composition notebook (hardback black and white) or spiral notebooks or binder
    loose leaf paper
    tissues
    supply box
    pens
    highlighters
    index cards
    dry erase markers

Grade Four
    white glue or stick
    crayons/colored pencils
    pencils
    scissors
    pocket folders
    loose leaf paper
    tissues
    supply box
    pens
    highlighters
    index cards
    dry erase markers

Grade Five
    white glue or stick
    crayons/colored pencils
    pencils
    scissors
    pocket folders
    loose leaf paper
    tissues
    supply box
    pens
    protractor
    highlighters
    index cards
    dry erase markers

12. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 20, 2008

That is awful. We have a list we generate at the end of school and all of the middle school is on one handout 5th-8th and we ask just for what is needed and nothing more. My daughter goes to a different school from where I teach and her listed is over board.. I think some teachers do not think about the over all picture that some parents do not have alot of money and may have more than one child to buy for. Well, that is just my opinion.

13. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 20, 2008

I would hand out your own list and nicely tell the parents that this is all the children will need and they can feel free to return unneeded items or just keep them at home. Parents are usually understanding, but the secretary should not have done that. (She probably meant well, but she should have called you.) We also turn ours in at the end of the year to be ready for the summer.

14. ladycajun1105

ladycajun1105 Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

Our school has a simple list, with just the basics;however, it does state that most of these items will need to be replenished throughout the year. I am happy with the list, although construction paper was not on the list. I am a first year teacher, so I feel that the basics is all the really need in first grade.

15. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 21, 2008

I say be glad you HAVE a list!! Our district decided year before last that having a 'free and equal education' means we cannot ask students to bring ANYTHING and must provide everything that is needed for all assignments! For free!

Luckily, most students continue to just bring things in, but a few brought NOTHING with them on the first day last year!

I was not allowed to send out a supply list or ask students to bring things in, but I did post a wish list on our class website and mentioned some things to the students as we were running low...they are good at mentioning things like "we ran out of tissues today" to their parents! :unsure:

It's really frustrating to run out of looseleaf paper and have to ask if anyone has some in their locker...AND to have to consider every outside project you do in case someone can't purchase a binder for the leaf notebook or a posterboard for a Recycle poster...:confused:

16. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 21, 2008

Since I am the only T-1 teacher at my school, I get to make my own list. The teacher before me asked for 8 packages of crayons!!!! I asked for four and returned several to students at the end of the year last year!

17. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2008

I would just deal with the list that was given out! Sending another list home may cause trouble...all you need is one parent to gripe about it!
    As for the things on the list that you don't want, save it for down time or indorr recess! WE have to make grade level lists--the other teachers I work with love marker and I hate it...so I save the markers for "sepecial" projects and inside recess, it makes the use of markers in my room all the more special!

As others have said, there are bigger fish to fry!

18. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 21, 2008

I've had that happen before. I choose to request different (less) than my co-teachers. Their list includes 10 notebooks (5 pairs of specific colors), 12 folders with brads, loose-leaf, germ-x, color box, colors, glue, glue sticks, markers, etc. My list: 12 folders with brads, loose leaf, pencils, colors, glue - that's it. When I changed grades the lists had already gone out. I simply sent a letter home letting parents know that some of the items they had purchased wouldn't be needed this year, but I felt certain that they could either return them or save them for next year. For anyone who hadn't purchased supplies yet, I simply sent my list. I didn't have any problems with parents being upset.

19. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 21, 2008

We have a supply list that the district provides but it's not exactly what I want my students to bring to school. I end up telling parents at our Academic Night which supplies from the list I would like their child to have, as well as any other "optional" supplies that are not on the list. If the kids come in with all the stuff from the district list than so be it. I just tell them to keep it in their backpack rather than clutter up their desks.

20. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2008

I think I'd run off some copies of my own list and lay them down beside the other lists...unless everything for the whole school is on one sheet of paper. And then scope out the parent's attitude when they come in to see if they'd be willing to either get a few more things, or return some things, or leave them at home.

It's hard to suggest something without knowing what type of population you have and the attitude of the secretary. It is annoying.

21. MsMongoose

MsMongoose Companion

Jul 22, 2008

The school where my kids went had a pretty diverse population of students. The teachers just quietly asked some of the parents (who clearly had a little bit more money) to bring 2 of each item, like the 48 color marker sets, and they were handed out by the teachers. (Where they came from was not mentioned to the students). The teachers also put out a list of things they wanted for the classroom--I remember a bread-making machine, as well as other, more common items. The teachers got most of their "wish list". At least in that situation, it worked out well.

22. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2008

In the 10 years I have worked for the district I work in we have not had supply lists "free and equal". It seems you are stuck. If there is one person you don't want to irritate in a school the secretary is the one.