school supplies - what does your school ask for?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by skittleroo, Jun 14, 2009.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2009

trying not to hijack a thread...
    I remember growing up in s. florida parents did not have to provide school supplies at all (I don't know if it's still that way, but in the late 80's it was).

in texas i know we do ask for school supplies, pretty typical.
    My kids' school even asks for copy paper!!!!!!!!!!!!! How ridiculous!

What school supplies does your school ask for? Anything unusual or something that parents really complain about????
    Anybody work for a school that doesn't ask for supplies.

I know as a parent with 6 kids (5 in school) school supplies can really add up. I end up paying about $500 for school supplies (not to mention clothes!:dizzy::dizzy:)

3. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2009

We ask our students to have certain things for their own use - backpack, binder, uniforms mainly.

I add to that list a water bottle.

For community use, I ask for donations of pencils, bottled water, copy paper.

Each year, I give the kids a journal, a box of crayons, a pencil box to keep everything in. A the end of the year they return the pencil boxes. I probably replace maybe 5 each year.

4. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jun 14, 2009

School supply lists are totally out of control!! It's ridiculous the things some schools ask for. I try to keep mine as short and simple as possible. Basic supplies are fine! This way if I need donations of other things the parents are more willing to donate later because they didn't spend an arm and leg to begin with.

5. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2009

I worked for a charter school that did not ask for supplies.
    The teachers in the district I currently work for give out supply lists. I haven't seen any outrageous lists from any of our teachers.

6. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 15, 2009

We ask for supplies, but many of our students don't come prepared with the materials they need, so I end up providing them. We ask for: 2 1-subject notebooks, 2 plastic folders, pencils, crayons, glue sticks, liquid glue, Post-Its, paper towels, baby wipes, and soap.

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 15, 2009

We provide notebooks for our students--- so we can color code them properly. The rest of the supplies we ask our students to get themselves. We do provide some stuff--- pencils, colored pencils, etc.

8. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jun 15, 2009

Here is my list for 4th Grade:

#2 pencils (no mechanical pencils)
    wide rule binder paper 8 1/2" x 11"
    7 one inch binders
    2 spiral notebooks
    sharp scissors
    protractor
    12" ruler
    erasable black or blue ink pens
    white liquid glue and a solid glue stick
    colored pencils
    watercolor pencils
    manual pencil sharpener
    1 two inch binder with pockets
    one roll of clear contact paper

I buy more notebooks, folders, and composition books since I want them color-coded.

The other teachers at my school have similar lists.

9. Ms. Jane

Ms. Jane Companion

Jun 15, 2009

At my school, and I think my entire district, we are not allowed to require the students to bring supplies. We can ask for donations though.

10. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2009

how do you get supplies? Does the school give them to you or are you expected to pay for them. I spend so much money on things for my class there is no way I will pay for supplies too.

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 15, 2009

Our lists are normal student consumables. We used to ask for EXPO markers but don't any more. Same thing with manila paper, it is no longer on the list. I can get my son's supplies for under $15 if I shop it right.

12. Ms. Jane

Ms. Jane Companion

Jun 15, 2009

We are given a budget every year to pay for the supplies.

13. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jun 15, 2009

I give my students a pretty long list, but then again, I work in California (no budget!). We are supposed to provide paper and pencils, but we don't have money for much else. So, when you have a class like I did this past year, and all your scissors end up broken or missing, it either comes from my pocket, or the students'. :(

14. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2009

Yeah, I hear you. I wind up doing that too. I am just sooo impressed with schools that supply it. It makes it easier on parents and teachers(then you know you'll get them).

15. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 15, 2009

My school is a Title I school so, we have to keep our list at a minimum. I usually catch the sales at Wal-Mart, Staples etc. I purchase all supplies that my students will need (we do not get a budget). I only ask for pencils and paper. I also send home a wish list of certain things like copy paper, Kleenex etc. My parents are more willing to buy the items on the wish list because I purchase everything else.

16. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 15, 2009

I am buying extra scissors this year. I asked for some in the middle of the year and some people sent in about 10. That helped. They do break and they are forever losing them.

I went through hundreds of pencils but I got them for a penny and 8 pack so I don't really mind.

17. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jun 15, 2009

This is our basic list:

Folders (3)
    One inch Binder
    3 boxes kleenex
    Hand sanitizer
    2 Dry erase markers
    2 pks. 24 pencils
    2 pks. cap erasers
    ruler
    2 big pink erasers
    2 glue sticks
    scissors
    crayons
    pencil box
    3 pks. wide ruled paper
    Lysol wipes
    3 spiral notebooks
    index cards
    ziploc bags

Our students are expected to buy their own supplies. It's a Title I school, so a lot of times that doesn't happen. I buy extra supplies when they are on sale. Mid-year I may run out of pencils also, so I keep stock of those. We use pencils, erasers, paper, kleenex, wipes, sanitizer and markers as community supplies so the students don't have their own to know if someone doesn't have something. If we run out of something I also send a note home to get parents to donate extras. I had a GREAT group of parents last year and they were great about sending items. (And I'm having the same students again!!)

18. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jun 16, 2009

We supply crayons, scissors and all art supplies, including paper, but we do send list home for folders, tissues, hand sanitizer, baggies. BUT this has to be a "suggested' list only. If the children do not send in anything, we have to provide it out of pocket. We also send home a 'wish list' of a few other supplementary items, but hardly anyone ever sends in any of this stuff. We are also a Title One school.

19. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2009

well even though we send home a school supply list, of course we can't insist they send it. Most of our parents will send at least the majority of supplies. And that is in a very low income area. We do try to keep the list as small as possible, but it's much more than what most of ya'll require.