School supplies- bad ideas

Discussion in 'General Education' started by viola_x_wittrockiana, Aug 5, 2022.

1. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Aug 5, 2022

I swear it's like some of these companies are trying to make annoying/distracting/dysfunctional items. The top of my who-thought-that-was-a-good-idea? list right now is Elmer's scented glue sticks. I thought we were supposed to *stop* the kids sniffing glue.

Next on my list is the rulers with pop-its built in. I hate those things. With actual toys I can take them away if they become a problem, the pencil bags with them can be put away in desks, but I can't do anything about the ruler if we need one for classwork unless I have a spare one to lend. Ugh.

What fresh horrors of school supplies have you seen? Extra points if it sheds glitter.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 5, 2022

The scented glue is the dumbest thing ever.

readingrules12 likes this.
  4. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Aug 5, 2022

The Pop-it pencil bags are the one that made me audibly groan at Target a few weeks ago. Like do they WANT teachers to lose their minds?

I've just seen lots of "fidgets" (*cough* toys *cough*) in with school supplies, too. I have ADHD, I get it, they're great for kids who actually need something to fidget with. The problem is that every kid and their cousin has a thousand of them and it makes it more difficult for kids who genuinely need the support.

5. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2022

Our district is supplying the school supplies for a minimal fee again this year. I actually like it. I have exactly what we asked for. Parents have been texting me about school supplies and when I tell them they just need to come to the office and pay the fee they insist on getting the fancy notebooks, pencils and glue sticks. That will send home or keep until the end of the year. We have all ready been given the supplies from the school and thats what we will ALL use. So nobody has any bright shiny fidgets or fancy pencils.