School Sunshine Committees

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Jul 25, 2014.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 25, 2014

I know schools have different names for them, ours is the Sunshine Committee. I'm wondering if you do have one, what kinds of things they do that you like. For example we do a birthday club where you can draw the name of a colleague and you are responsible for making them feel like a Princess/Prince for the day-decorate their door, etc. Once someone asked for their own parking space because parking was always scarce and their person created their own space with cones/streamers and a sign "reserved for...". It was cute.

I know some people are going to say they don't like participating in these things and that's fine, I'm really not looking to debate the merits of such a committee. But really my question is if you have one, what activities do they do that your staff likes. We are looking for ways (cheap ways) to make our committee more effective. :thanks:

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2014

I´m on the Sunshine Committe too (same name!). We do breakfasts, little treats for the teachers (we are going to give out welcome back pencils to all the teachers in the cubbies to welcome them back) and we give out free coffee coupons for our cafeteria for birthdays. Oh, we occasionally do a free jeans day (we are a very formal school but to raise money some committees will offer a jeans day on the last Friday of the month...you have to pay $20 MXN if you decide to wear jeans that day). That is pretty much it, though we hope to add on to what we do for the following year. Oh wait!! Gee, we do a secret santa in December (forgot about that).

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2014

Your birthday idea sounds cute! We do secret santa, which everyone got really into last year. There are also happy hours about once a month, and a Christmas and end of the year party. Our social committee also takes care of getting cards for sympathy, weddings/babies. retirements, etc. and makes sure they get around to everyone to sign. They will also put little treats in boxes around stressful times of year (like state testing).

5. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 26, 2014

Our committee is pretty standard. We celebrate birthdays, babies, promotions, marriages, people moving on to new jobs (when they leave on good terms), perfect teacher attendance (my favorite! You get a $5 giftcard to Starbucks), and we give sympathy cards when people lose someone or is very ill. I like the idea of happy hour. Also jeans day. We aren't allowed to wear jeans except field day but people sneak and do it anyway. Why not make them pay for it?

Edit: i can see my P saying "and how will you know who actually paid for jeans Friday and who didnt?" :| Maybe the Sunshine Committee could keep a running list and email to the P but she probably wouldn't want to keep track of it/enforce it. I work at a large school with a staff/faculty of about 80 so it's hard to keep track of us all. ARGH.

Well regardless, Jeans Day sounds cool. Maybe if everyone in the school paid $10 regardless of whether they want to dress down Fridays or not then we'd have one Master list. I'm sure some people would complain so perhaps we could play it as "Make a $10 donation to SSC and wear jeans every Friday for the rest of the year."

6. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 26, 2014

Our school has a Sunshine Club. We contribute as needed - usually a set amount once or twice a year. The funds are used for flowers for surgeries, funerals, etc.

7. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 26, 2014

My previous school had a Sunshine Committee. Everyone (who wanted to) contributed a certain amount of money at the beginning of the year, which I can't remember what it was. The committee gave out gifts to the building sub, nurse, secretaries, principals and custodians for Christmas and any related holidays like School Nurse Day, Secretaries' Day etc. Occasionally they would ask for another donation if they needed the money and would send gifts for new homes, weddings, babies, and deaths within the family.

For birthdays we all signed up in the beginning of the year to help put on a birthday breakfast for a particular month and celebrated any birthdays that month.

My new school doesn't have one but I've suggested that our team do breakfast once a month in a different classroom.

8. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jul 26, 2014

My school used to have a sunshine committee that was mainly in charge of flowers for teachers having a baby, having surgery, losing a loved one, etc... They had a few fun staff events such as tailgating I want to say. If you didn't pay to be a member of the committee, you didn't receive any recognition for these events. Most did not pay to be members. Partially for this reason, the committee was shut down. Now, there is a group of two teachers that plan events once a month or so that are used to help teacher morale. They have good events but the two teachers are so rude to everyone throughout the year that no one wants to attend their events. The ones who go to their things for the most part are members of the teachers' clique and admin who feels they need to attend.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2014

Well, my school's Sunshine Committee sends flowers whenever a baby is born. Except when my baby was born. I got no acknowledgement whatsoever.

I ain't mad, though.

:p

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2014

We have one. I did it the first year and then decided it was a waste of money. They never did anything that amazing. They were supposed to plan parties for people for baby showers, weddings, that kind of thing. They ended up only buying the gift. So then I still ended up putting out more money for food or decorations or whatever for parties. I think it would've been nice if it was more effectively run. I know they were trying to change the morale of the school but they weren't doing much and it wasn't worth all the money I was paying.

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 26, 2014

We have 1 committee that's in charge of sending flowers/cards to people when someone passes away and arranging showers for people getting married and having babies.

We have a separate committee 'the social committee' that plans events for the staff. We're all assigned a month to be on the social committee and when it's your month you plan an event or special snack for the staff.

12. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2014

We don't have an official committee but our Secretaries send out emails asking for money whenever a teacher has a baby, someone in their family dies or will be out sick due to something major. They also plan baby and wedding showers. Yet, I've noticed that it depends on who the teacher as to whether a collection is taken or an event is planned.

Two people had emergency appendicitis surgery within a month of each other this winter. One person got flowers and a huge care package because about $200 was collected for her. The other teacher, a first year teacher at that, was completely forgotten. When I asked the Secretary if they were taking collections for the first year teacher, she gave me the "why you trying to start problems" evil eye. Ok, ok. I get it.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2014

Yep.

When politics filter down into what is supposed to be something fun and morale-boosting, it becomes neither fun nor morale-boosting.

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 26, 2014

What was up with all the emergency appendectomy surgeries this winter? My surgery was on December 1st and a friend from another site was in the hospital room next to me because her surgery was right after mine!

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 26, 2014

We do have one. The funds largely come from the vending machine in the staff lounge. We do collect for retirement gifts though.

We do retirement gifts and funerals. We did wedding gifts last year. We haven't done anything for new babies. Not sure why?

We do jeans by month usually. Different organizations will collect $5 and then you can wear jeans the last day of the week for the month. You give the money to the secretary and she checks your name off, but there's no real consequence if you don't pay.

16. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 26, 2014

We have one. They use the money to buy teacher lunches on PD days, send flowers for births, surgeries, etc, or plan an all-school outing at the end of the year if there's $$$.

I can't imagine 2 teachers have surgery and leaving one out. That's so rude. Even if I don't like a teacher, I still throw in 5 bucks. We must be decent humans.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2014

At the beginning of the year, we are all asked to contribute $25. to our "Social Fund". This covers things like cards and flowers for extended illnesses or bereavements, gifts for new babies and for weddings, small gifts for staff who leave the school, breakfasts on PD Days, and our end of the year staff party.

18. teach1

teach1 Companion

Jul 27, 2014

Wow. I also can't believe the surgery story! That first year teacher must have felt terrible. Pretty much the opposite of what we teach children.

19. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 27, 2014

At our school the politics are a little more subtle. If someone falls out of favor with the P, they either get nothing or their going-away is tacked on at the very end of the meeting. I've never known them not to acknowledge someone's pregnancy.

That seems so cruel. Same with the two people who had appendicitis...*smh* all i can say about that is someday they'll have to answer for their actions to God.

I hate office politics, but unfortunately unless you're self employeed working in a shed in the middle of nowhere, you'll always have to deal with them. And even then, I'm sure you'll have to deal with politics of your clients and other people you need for your business. :dizzy: